Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Doug still has the Nikon Superior E 12x50 for sale (at $750). There is also a Nikon factory tripod adapter. Do we have any folks using this binocular in the big eyes role?

thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HunterJim,.

Is this a porro prisim model?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Nikon Superior E Series 12X50 - NK7382 From inception, the Superior E was designed to be the most optically advanced Porro prism binocular in the world. Nikon engineered a special eyepiece made to redefine optical clarity and sharpness.High definition BaK4 prisms, the highest grade of meticulously polished optical glass, and Nikon�s multi-layered proprietary lens and prism coatings combine with this eyepiece to deliver images that "exceed the theoretical limit of resolution." The Superior E also boast a lightweight, magnesium alloy chassis that keeps weight downand allows comfortable, long term glassing. A space age, protein rubber armor wrapped around a unique ergonomically shaped body dampenssound and provides a sure grip.
A World's-Best Birding Porro Binocular
Wide Apparent Angle of View
5.0� Angle of View
Fully Multicoated Optics
Multicoated BaK-4 Porro Prisms
Field Flattener Lens
Flat-Field Eyepiece Design
Light Magnesium Alloy Housing
Protein-Compound Rubber Armor

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Some of the BEST glass you can get.. Period! But, is 12x enough for your needs? From what I understand 15x is the benchmark for "big eyes". With the clarity/resolution put out by the SE line these 12x's will outshine a lot of your 15x's with the exception of the more expensive lines.(Even then it's close).
Next, do you need waterproof? Cuz these are not full blown dunkable. Many have taken them through some rough weather with no complaints except cold making the focus wheel really tight. I took mine through a bunch of terrain I probably shouldn't have and I got real nervous about it.(Not enough money to just plop down for new ones). Eventually I'll get something proven waterproof.
Last, I don't think the standard tripod adapter works with these. I've got the 10x and there's no female threads to accept the standard adapter. Gotta use one of the rap around things (Nikon bino-cu-mount). 12x maybe different, should probably check on that before you get one.
Can't emphasize the quality of the view enough , though.
Hope this helps...

Last edited by Yippeekiay; 12/26/09.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I came very close to buying that one when I checked into the 12X50 bins. Decided to go with the tougher, more compact Leica BN. I seriously doubt I'd be disappointed in the Nikon SE.
How much do they weigh ? The big reason why the 12X50 BN works so well hand held is because it weighs 46 ozs. with carrying strap and covers. That's something the 15X bins don't do. Work when hand held.
For $750, that's got to be a great deal. Tempted to buy one myself. E

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
They weigh around 32oz's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eith way you go jim make sure you can mount them on a tripod. Big eyes whether 10x50 or 15x60 were never meant to be hand held as far as I am concerned. Sure they work for a quick peek or a short glance, but to really be able to appreciate your bino and do serious big eye glassing, you gotta mount them on a tripod.
12x50 is a very popular size bin and offers a lot in terms of optical quality.
I always liked the 12x50 pairing but my all time favorite has always been 15x60. After I got my 13x56's, I swore I would never buy another bin from the big 3 until they learn to make a true 15x60 bin.
In saying this. my uncle bought a pair of 15x60 Zeiss brand new back in the day and hated them so much, he sold them for $1000 and a pair of 10x50 Bushnell customs to Duwane Adams his best friend. And guess what? . . . He (my uncle) guided (for Duwane) with those 10x50s for a long time successfully helping clients take monster Kaibab bucks, Huge Coues and trophy elk. All with his little 10x50 Customs. The only time you would see him hand hold his bins was during a stalk or to take a quick glance at something. But when it came down to glassing, those 10x50's were always on a tripod.
Did I mention they were only 10x50's and they were on a tripod not hand held for glassing?

Point is this. Anything in the 10x plus is suitable to glass with. 50mm is a big enough objective when pair correctly for glassing. The main thing is if you are gonna glass like we do with the big eyes, you gotta be able to mount them on a tripod. Nikon makes a hell of a bino and I wish they made a 15x60 but they don't. The 12x50's will serve you well and in worst case you find an animal and you have to get closer to get a better look. SO WHAT?! That's my uncles motto. I find a buck and can't tell if he's a 160 or a 180. SO WHAT i'll get closer and find out. If you have a spotter, then you really have no worries.
If the 12x50's feel good to your eyes and you like then and you can mount them to a tripod. I'd say get them and enjoy them all you can and welcome to glassing with big eyes!

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I know very few that uses a tripod to glass. Far more who use one for a spoting scope, etc.
The big advantage to a 10X50 is really in it's extra weight to kill some of the image shake when used hand held.
If you happen to have a tripod, say for a spotting scope, it does help, even with the 8X bins. But hardly a requirement. E

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Kique,

Back in my Navy days Big Eyes were the 20X120 binocular we used for a variety of chores, and they were permanently mounted on a fixed mount, so when you guys say big eyes I think tripods.

In April of '92 I went to a "Deer School" organized by Rich LaRocco here in San Diego, and Jay Gates and Duwane Adams also presented subjects -- including glassing with big eyes from tripods. Their school solution was a 15X60 bino on a sturdy tripod with the hunter sitting behind the tripod for steadiness. I also have Duwane's video around here somewhere. In those days I think the Zeiss was about it for glass choices.

thanks for your reply...jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 15 years ago I was buying a bunch of higher end binoculars including one Nikon E series. It's been so long since I had them can't really remember if they were the Superior E or plain old E, but they were 7X35.

As noted, the view is tremendous. My only problem with them was the rather lightweight construction - plastic end caps on the barrels and so forth. I would have kept them but was concerned that they wouldn't hold up to the rigors of hunting. I don't know what the construction is on the new ones so take that into consideration.

But even if they still use a lot of plastic, if someone was to take a little extra care care of them and not just let them bang around your neck in rain and snow, I think those Superior E's would be one hell of a good glass for long time sitting and looking through.

Particularly for $750 today. I had to go to Leica's that cost more than that (and that was 10 years ago) to get a picture that matched those Nikons.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might look at the Fujinon 16x70. I bought a pair for a New Mexico hunt and they are great!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim,
I learned to glass, guide and basically hunt from Duwane Adams. I had all the knowhow down then Duwane introduced me to big eyes and glassing at age 15. I have not looked back since. I have found more game, bigger game and have been more productive using a tripod mounted optic system than hand holding my bins. If you read an article that Rick Bin wrote on the front page, he was skeptical like E is to using tripod mounted bins. Rick and I almost butted heads whenI told him to bring one for the hunt. I even compromised and told him I'd carry it for him.
There are a ton of guys out west including guides that hand hold their optics and use weight as an excuse. Bottom line is they may be good, but they would be great if they tripod mounted their optics. I find it hard to find deer at over a mile or 2 hand holding binos.
It's not neccessary to have binos mounted on a tripod just like E said. And I agree with him. But I believe it should not be neccessary, it should be a must.
We choose to dissagree.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enrique,
It's not neccessary to have binos mounted on a tripod just like E said. And I agree with him. But I believe it should not be neccessary, it should be a must.
We choose to dissagree.

It's great being right!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Kique,

I think the ranges I am glassing fit into the 500 yards to 1,500 yards, and you guys out in the desert working 1,500 yards to 3,000 yards flat can use higher magnification. I think I can get by with 12X on my tripod, at least I am going to give it a try. wink

thanks...jim

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Good call!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by HunterJim
Kique,

I think the ranges I am glassing fit into the 500 yards to 1,500 yards, and you guys out in the desert working 1,500 yards to 3,000 yards flat can use higher magnification. I think I can get by with 12X on my tripod, at least I am going to give it a try. wink

thanks...jim

Hi Jim,

As an owner and huge fan of the 8x32 and 10x42 SEs, and reading about how much Enrique loves the Minox 13x56, I've also wondered how far off the 12x50 SE would be from being a true "big eye". I can't wait for your review.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim,

I think you can get by with the 12x too. If it makes any difference, I just ordered a pair of 12x50 Vortex from Doug as a glassing optic for my dad but also as a backup pair for me. 12x is an ideal medium. But if I have not stressed it enough they should be tripod mounted.
The tripod is the key to any big eye. I have driven home instead of hunting because I forgot my tripod.
Let us know how you do with the 12x nikon. I know I will post my findings of the 12x Vortex.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 13 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,897
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.