Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi Guys / Has anyone fire lapped a rifle similar in size to the 375 Weatherby or Ackley?<P> Neco suggested utilizing jacketed bullets for this size of cartridge to prevent<BR>eroding the throat. Recommended pressure of around 30,000 psi.@ about 2000 fps.to obturate the bullet fully to the bore.<P>According to the Quickload program, 45 grains<BR>of IMR-4198 will achieve the required velocity and pressure.<P>My concern is, is there a chance of detonation utilizing this powder with reduced loads ? My opinion is no, but I have no experience with this powder.<P>Any load recommendations welcomed. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cant help with the question,but glad to see your name here.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gene / It's been a busy summer for me, but I did check in awhile back to read a few posts.<P>Was most impressed with your load development with the 7 Ultra. Velocity, accuracy, your launch pad, etc. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Awaiting a reply from Beartooth Bullets. They should be able to answer the firelapping question.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a quick peek at Yahoo! for "fire lapping" and found 11,800 sites. Looks like there's plenty of info available.<P>Good luck.<P>2D<P>However, I just went back and checked further.After you get through the first couple pages they turn to totally different subjects. I.E., "the FIRE was LAPPING at my knees".<P>Oh, well.

[Linked Image]
You won't have any trouble with detonation using 4198. The problem seems restricted to slow burning powders in the 4350 and slower range. 4198 is considerably quicker. What you are trying to do is obturate the bullet to fill the bore but let if stay in the bore as long as possible. i.e. moderate velocities.. good luck and let us know how the project works out. PS-if you have further questions the folks at Hodgon or any of the powder companies would be the people to speak to...good luck from the gunnut69

IC B2

Canon Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
twodogs,gunnut69/ Thanks for the input. I did check the 11800 sites, and found some small tidbits that did answer a few questions.<BR> <BR>What I did learn, is the more people you talk to regarding fielapping, the more varied opinions and outlooks you get. Get's a mite confusing after awhile, so I figured I'd just do it, and form my own opinions.<P>My thoughts ran parallel to yours regarding<BR>4198, gunnut, but I rigged my rifle in a Gunsighter vise,for the first four rounds, just in case there were any explosions. <P>Should have vidioed this proceedure, just so you guys would have something to laugh at.<BR>I loosely tied the vise and barrel to the table, with a couple rubber tarp straps. Lined the gun up through the Chonry sceens, you know the 25 year old ones, with the 2x3" opening. Carefully removed scope(love those Warne mounts)and set a bag of lead shot over the action. Partly to hold rifle down, but mostly just in case this load formula burped reciever parts at me. Then I cowered behind a motorcycle 20' away, as I released the trigger ,via a Pocket Fisherman rod. I find it hilarious, looking back at myself, but I guess it is a safer way of letting an untried load loose.<P>Only have five coarse rounds through, and can already see a huge difference, in the soft slugs. Most of the longitudinal tooling<BR>lines have diminished, as in smooth. As long as I don't over do it, this should correct the ruff area and the problem of copper fouling, I was experienceing with this barrel. As a bonus, the accurracy may improve.<P>Just one bit of advise, to someone wanting to try lapping for themselves. This is a very slow, tedious, messy, boring(exept for the first shot)grin, drawn out proceedure.<BR>In other words, unless you are working on a rifle of some real worth to you, it is not worth the time and expense. ie. I would not do it to an Enfield, unless of coarse it was my only rifle. This rifle is basically new,and I had it Magna-ported as well as rechambered, so felt compelled to salvage it. Rebarrelling to a good custom is way more fun. Oh well, back to the shop for more lapping. If the accurracy does actually improve, I will be sure to post the results. Thanks Again

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,658
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.