-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
delete, need to look up a formula when I am awake.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 12/27/09.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I think you should look at using Micarta. It can be bought in 1/8" thick slabs or sheets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Titanium is very springy and is available in many thicknesses. Admiral Steel Supply is one, plus it is available from many knifemaker suppliers.

Or, if you could find an industrial hack saw blade about an inch wide at either a hardware store or industrial supply house.

Or a shop that does metal working might have some broken ones lying around that they would give you. A 1/16" hacksaw blade would be plenty rigid enough, plus have some spring back.

If you want to make it your self, spring steel is usually tempered to about Rc 55.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
nighthawk, that's very helpful information. It's the first time I've seen force measured in recoil, and it does give me a ballpark to start with.

I had previously figured out the acceleration of the rifle, which peaks at around 560 g, which is surprisingly large. But building a model of a shoulder restraining the rifle is more than I could do to get to force.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a textbook, A36 has a yield strength of about 36 ksi, that's yield, not ultimate yield. Hardware store steel is A36, 1018, or something along that line. So if you stay 15% or so below yield you should stay in the linear region and below the proportional limit. Modulus of elasticity given as 28,000 to 30,000 ksi.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by denton
Let me ask one other question, since .062" flats are apparently easier to get than .125".

The piece does not actually have to be .125". I just picked that since I was pretty sure that if I support the ends 4" or so apart, the steel would not be permanently bent by the force of recoil. There are advantages to going thinner if I can get away with it.

I don't handle metal daily, and don't have a good sense of how much thickness is needed. It just seemed that .125" would be plenty.

If I use .062", would that be thick enough? If I let fly with a 180 grainer out of a 30-06, will .062" spring back to original shape?

BTW, I am going to make a trip to the hardware store. If I can hack something out of a trowel or a saw blade, that is a good cheap approach. Otherwise, the links you have given are a sure solution.

Tell you what ya might try.

That steel strapping that's used to bind stuff with is typically 1/32nd of an inch thick and about an inch to an inch and a quarter wide when it's being used for heavy duty applications.

The place I used to work used big rolls of steel that came bound with that kind of strapping and it was cut from the rolls and stuffed in the scrap hopper.

It's used to bind all kinds of things, 3 or 4 thicknesses of it may be just what you need,..and you can probably find it in the dumpsters of lumber yards or anywhere else that buys stuff that has to be strapped down to a pallet.

,..just a thought,...

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This stuff.

Scrap hoppers all over the world are crammed with it.

http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/45721.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assuming the leaf spring has a linear rate, the value for energy stored/absorbed by a spring is:

.5 x k x (f^2) where k is the spring rate in pounds per foot, and f is the deflection in feet.

We know that the recoil energy of a .30-06 is 20 ft-lbs. Plug the numbers in, and it will tell you that you need a really high spring rate, to limit deflection to only .005".

Leaf spring rates can vary a little depending on how they are mounted, but still I think your leaf needs to be a good deal thicker, if you only want it to deflect .005" max, under recoil.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

.5 x k x (f^2) where k is the spring rate in pounds per foot, and f is the deflection in feet.

[Linked Image]
naught, naught,..then carry the naught,..

By golly!,...you're right!

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Spent the afternoon trying to become a Mech E. Ugh. Not pretty.

Anyway, you are right that thicker material is in order if the peak force is 1,000 pounds.

At .062" thick, the deflection in the middle of a 2" span is .372" and the elongation of the surface (the one facing forward) is 2.1%. That's got to be into yield. Going up to .125" thick brings it down to a deflection of .045" with .57% elongation at the surface. That seems like a lot, because maximum allowed percent stretch in barrel steel is around 1/10 that much.

Bristoe has got me thinking about changing the design and putting a piece of that strapping steel taut like a bowstring between two strong supports. It would be a LOT lighter weight, and I'm sure it would be strong enough. Up until now, I've been just thinking in terms of a simple flexing beam, but that may not be the easy way.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Plan B ?

why not use a rigid "Shoulder Pad" and spring the thing on simple Belleville Washers, or play with cruder coil springs ?

just set the thing up on bushings / gliders, and buffer with the right rate of spring tension.

Bellevilles can give you the same rate as a coil in about 1/4 to 1/5th the distance required by a coil.

Lemme find a link to Smalley,....they do that well.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here ya' be.

God, I wish we could put up sketches on a bar napkin.

Link: http://www.smalley.com/wave_springs/about_springs.asp

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
Spent the afternoon trying to become a Mech E. Ugh. Not pretty.

Anyway, you are right that thicker material is in order if the peak force is 1,000 pounds.

If we go with that value for the force and plug it into simple beam equations, it says you need a leaf .522" thick (x .75 wide, x 4" effective length) to limit deflection to .005".

.558 thick is a stocking size for us, we may have some 5160H scrap I could send you. That should be a little stiffer than you need.

And yes I design springs for a living. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.