Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For those who are switching from Leupolds, I would trade my Bushnell for an equivalent Luepie...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by Odessa
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have had a few and still have one and to me they were a little dim and not that clear, about like one of the cheaper Nikons (Prostaff I think) I have. I could make out much more detail through a VXII. Others who looked through my Bushnells liked them, so I guess everybody is different.

Pretty much my take too. I have one 3200 and one 4200, both are 3-9x40mm; I cannot tell any difference between the two. They are decent scopes, better than the Nikon ProStaff and Buckmasters that I own and better than the Burris Fullfield II I used to own, not equal to a VX-III by a long shot, very close to a VX-II. Moderate eye relief, so I have them on two Ruger M77's with low-moderate recoil (a .257 RBTS and a .270 WIN).

Wonder if you got a bad one as many agree that the 4200 is better optically than a Vari-X III. Heck the B&L 4000 that I bought almost 15 years ago looks better than any Vari-X III that I had and the 4200's are slightly better yet. Not a huge difference mind you, but noticeable, at least to my eyes anyway. The real advantage is in the durability and tracking though. That's why I dumped my Vari-X's. Guess everyone see's things a little differently.

Finn, I don't think I got a bad Elite 4200 as it tracks well and has held the zero perfectly over the past year and a half since I mounted it on the .257 RBTS Ruger M77 MKII. I was expecting the same type of low light clarity I have with my VX-III, but it just isn't there. All of my scopes (several VX-II's, Vari-X III's, VX-III's, a couple of Nikon's and the two Elites) are bright, sharp, and clear during daylight hours. I have cataract's that are not bad enough to come out yet, but certainly diminish my ability to see clearly in very early and very late "legal light" periods, which has increased my reliance on top performance from my optics. I was hoping the Elite 4200 would get me there without having to go to the 30mm German or Austrian scopes, but it didn't. Right now the best I have is the VX-III, but I am considering a Swarovski or Kahles to put on one of my rifle's for use next season. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We are not all talking apples and apples here.

Dessertmuledeer is talking of a 4200 in a 3x9, and I am talking the 4200's in the 4x16 in both the 40mm and 50mm versions.

The coatings on these 4x16's are really something hard to believe in as far as how the scope brings out the clarity and contrast.

I only own two NON Adjustable objective scopes due to the fact that they do not allow for the adjustment between different eyes or changing eyes as you get older since the paralax is set at the factory at 100 or 150 yards.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I own 2 of the 4200's and while I like them for the price/performance, I would trade them in a heartbeat for VX-III's. I have used one in a downpour/fogging condition, and it worked while other brands were useless. It seems just as clear as most higher end scopes to me, just not as bright, and the eye relief is slightly less also. Good scope for the money, but if you can afford it, get something else is my recommendation.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had 2 4200's. Nice scopes, clear, bright, and rainguard. That said I prefer leupolds on my hunting rifles. I do think that the 4200's are a best buy and can see myself buying another. Eye relief hasn't been a problem for me and I had a 3x9 on a Kimber Montana in 300wsm.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several of both brands and find the 4200's provide sharper crisper images in bright light conditions but as darkness approaches the leupolds become superior in light gathering ability. I use a lot of 4200's for paper punching in good light conditions and tend to put leupolds on my hunting rigs that will be used in dim light, the also have better eye relief. One thing I have noticed and may be due to lens coating differences is even though I find 4200's sharper in daylight, if you happen to be shooting into the sun the leupolds retain the ability to diffuse direct sunlight and you can see the crosshair and target image without it washing or flashing out. In other words I can point a leupold closer towards the sun than a 4200 before washing out the image.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What models do you have of each that you compared against each other. Never really heard anyone use Leupold and superior light gathering in the same sentence before.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never not been able to kill a critter with one either, course I ain't hunting pigs at night in Germany.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have Lupy put a G1 in a VX3, and you will be.

Defend the Constitution
R
R
Just checked Midway for the price on ur specified 4200. Buy a Leupold VX2! I owned an Elite 3200 and was not impressed at all. Decent scope but the Leupy is more compact, had better eye relief, & better low light clarity. Have also tried Nikon Prostaff, Buckmasters, Monarch, & Monarch Gold. For the money the Prostaff is a nice little scope but none of the others were on par with Leupold. IMHO

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 51 invisible), 3,372 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.