Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
WSM_Fan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Walked over and spoke to a guy shooting a new Weatherby Ultralight at the range. Thought I'd check it out. Very light gun and sweet rifle. Shooting a 300Roy with the muzzle break made me move down 3-4 benches from him. The noide is unreal! After he said he liked the idea of being able to shoot 300WinMag and 300Roy shells in the same gun, I promptly moved 3-4 more benches away from him ... after I told him how sadly mistaken he was.

460 SW Mag

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What was he loading?? Did you correct his Dumb aZZ before he loaded the 300 Win??

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regretably, he probably got that info from someone behind the counter at the large sporting goods retailer in your area. I can't believe some of the stuff I've overheard at the one near me.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reminds me of the Generic Elk Rifle.

"Represented in our camp were virtually all of the standard belted magnum cartridges, from 7mm Remington Magnum to .375 H&H, and each hunter in turn, and many out of turn, sang the praises of their pet loudenboomer.

As for me, well, I had been working on a new heavy game brush rifle that late summer and early fall, putting an E.R. Shaw barrel on a VZ24 action chambered for .458 Win. Mag.

"Stanton, what's that abortion you're carrying?" Without a hesitation, I replied, "Oh, this, it's just my generic magnum, you might call it the perfect elk rifle!"

"What do ya mean 'generic elk rifle'? There's no such thing!"

"Oh, sure there is.", I replied "Toss me one of your cartridges and I'll show you!" My pigeon bit hard, and threw me a .375 H&H. I carefully made sure that the military safety was in the upright position to lock the firing pin, then dropped the big .375 down the chamber and closed the bolt behind it, then opened the bolt and extracted the round like I knew what I was doing (what I didn't do, was try to eject it! Instead I simply pushed the case down, free of the extractor) and handed the round back to it's owner. One-by-one, each of our hunting party passed me their pet cartridge, and deliberately, and dramatically, I chambered them after feeding from the magazine, then ejected them each after chambering with a gusto and bravado, to display the "versatility" of my home-grown elk rifle."

Full story here:
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/trail/archive_trail_talk.htm/17

Bruce

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm thinking it might work. The cartridge diameter on both cartridges is the same and both cartridges can headspace on the belt.

Anyway, it's not something I intend to try but, it might work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I remember correctly, someone posted some 300 Win brass that was fired out of a Weatherby. Ended up with the Weatherby shoulder and an extremely short neck.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm to the point now when shooting if someone comes by to talk I just about run away. Seems about 99.5% of the guys I meet shooting really shouldn't own a rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was working at the range one day and had a guy set up a beautiful Weatherby and get ready to shoot. I'm on the spotting scope to work his first shot, and when his gun goes off, I've got no hole in his target at 50 yards. I look over to see him holding the gun which is now in two pieces. Here's the scoop:

1. Relatively new shooter
2. Someone LOANED him this beautiful .270 Weatherby Mag.
3. Went to the store and asked for a box of ammo for a .270.
4. Guess those .270 Winchester rounds don't work too well in a Weatherby Mag!

The stock shattered at the pistol grip. The bolt all most came open, which would have most likely not been a very good thing, and there was brass shrapnel throughout the action. No idea how the scope fared through all this, as the gun was toast at this point.

We had a cigar box full of casings that had been fired through wrong guns, but this was the first one I saw do this. 'Hope I never see another, I can tell you that!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DON'T get me started....

cry
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
gopher - I blame the lender in that one. He shoulda done some sort of training on the new guy and the differences in 270's.

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend of mine has a daughter who is a manager at Walmart.
She was paged to the sporting goods counter. The clerk had sold the wrong shells to a customer and he wanted to exchange them for the correct cartridges. Because Walmart does not take returns on ammo the clerk had told the customer he couldn't take the ammo back. The manager said that since the ammo had never left the counter it should be OK to exchange for the correct ammo. Her manager found out about it and did everything she could to make a 911 incident out of it. She acted like a Federal law had been broken. Tempest in a Teacup.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well, I did have a situation as Range Officer where a friend of mine had brought his son to the range to shoot the obligatory 10 cartridges before deer season. He asked why is was having trouble getting cartridges in the chamber. He had 243 WSM cartridges and a 243 rifle. Guess it was better that way than the other way around.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's the new and improved 300 Win Mag, better known as the 300 Win Mag Ackerly Improved.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being deaf in one ear and partially in the other makes pretty much all centerfire rifles sound the same to me.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was downrange once during a ceasefire and a ~8-10 year old kid sitting at the bench fired a .22. He didn't come close to hitting anyone, but it was pretty mind-boggling. When I got back to the bench I calmly suggested that his Dad quit BSing with his friends and supervise the kid. The rangemaster ran over and was much less calm. They were still talking when I left.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What could have been said is that the .300 H&H will
work in a .300 Weatherby.

Keith used it in a Weatherby for lighter loads for his wife.

I do not agree with the practice. It was done in the
1960's.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Maser
Being deaf in one ear and partially in the other, along with being a [bleep] retard, makes pretty much all centerfire rifles sound the same to me.

There...fixed it for ya...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell us what you really think Middlefork. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Tell us what you really think Middlefork. grin
Didn't lie, did he!

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (300_savage, AB2506, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 13 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 656 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.