Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
WSM_Fan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
neck turning, square case mouth, primer pocket uniforming, primer pocket drilling to 3/32, primer flash hole deburring, weighing cases, adjusting OAL for specific rifle, match grade primers, match grade bullets. What'd I miss?

460 SW Mag
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy in bulk!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A shooter who is never steady cause he puts more time into ammo than the range (grins)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WSM_Fan
neck turning, square case mouth, primer pocket uniforming, primer pocket drilling to 3/32, primer flash hole deburring, weighing cases, adjusting OAL for specific rifle, match grade primers, match grade bullets. What'd I miss?

Weight sorting bullets, sorting by base to ogive, sorting by bearing surface length, trimming meplats, re-pointing, loaded round concentricity, straightening rounds, annealing, de-burr and buff inside the necks, segregate rounds by seating force, weighing primers,(yup, I know one who does). Hell, we didn't even get into the various different "match" bullets, primers, or powders.

Only you know where to draw the line.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about the rest of us, but I don't take a benchrest rifle hunting laugh

Just load a lot of ammo with as little fuss as possible and spend as much time as you can at the range... I cull the high run-out stuff for offhand practice so I have an excuse for missing a gong once in a while laugh Everything under .003 TIR is used 'for record'

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WSM_Fan

Most of this work is of no use at all. Many benchrest shooters don't do all that. Tony Boyer doesn't weigh cases but he does use Lapua brass.

Here's a few things to do:

1. Make sure your rifle is capable of its best accuracy. If the barrel, bedding, etc. is mediocre nothing else matters.

2. Learn to tune your load. Pick a powder and load groups of 3 over a range of powder weights. Seat the bullet as long as the magazine will allow and shoot the range of loads.

3. You will notice (or should) that your groups will get smaller or larger with each load. Once you find the powder charge that gives the best accuracy do it again with a different powder.

4. After selecting the powder that gives the tightest groups then adjust your seating depth by .005 at a time. Usually you will get your best accuracy with the bullet touching the lands or even into the lands a smidgen.

5. After all this sit back and realize this: if you want to shoot groups then build you a group shooting rifle. If you intend to hunt all this effort and expense is only worthwhile if you want to really get an ego boost by having a super accurate hunting rifle. It won't amount to a hill of beans in practical hunting use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
#6 find a tape measure to keep in your backpack for impromptu penis measuring sessions...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DanAdair
#6 find a tape measure to keep in your backpack for impromptu penis measuring sessions...

Preferably metric, sounds bigger.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
At the top of this web page, click on the icon, RELOADING, and read Barsness' two-part series on accurate reloading. It says it all.....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy Mike Rattigans benchrest shooting book and buy Tony Boyers book if he ever finishes writing it. Get a good benchrest rifle, learn to shoot it, get real benchrest bullets it likes, not store bought, tune your rifle to them then you can worry about all those little case prep tricks and see if they make any difference.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan,

When you take a 700 and lap, true, cut, and square one, or build off a clone, add a surface ground lug, Jewell trigger, Krieger barrel, bedded in a Mcm stock, it's a BR rifle in general terms, and still looking for the ultimate in accuracy.

BTW, if your gonna start measuring your Johnsons, you might wanna go by square inches. Keeps the cheaters at bay by not being able to hang a brick from a string. grin

PS, based on the original posters other thread, it's a Sendero in 300 Ultra he's dealing with.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 35, 9 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,253
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.