Print Thread
Hop To
J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi, guys. Over this week I received three really great looking unissued, unfired 8x57mm Mauser Yugoslavian M48As. One, I'm leaving in the cosmoline and never firing, just to have way down the road.<P>I took the other two to the gunsmith today and was a little taken aback by how much I'm paying to have them "sorta sporterized," (my words, not the gunsmith's).<P>On both rifles I'm having the bolts bent, having them drilled & tapped for a scope, and having a low-mount safety installed. I'm also having a Williams Foolproof peep sight installed on one, for which the rifle also has to be drilled & tapped I guess.<P>I'm not complaining at the gunsmith's prices, just looking to save a few bucks where I can. He's charging me $25 for each low-mount safety, and $50 per rifle to install them. <P>MidwayUSA has a Timney Beuhler-style low mount safety for sale for about $24. The thing is, in the description of the part it says that "some minor gunsmithing" may be required. I am definitely not a gunsmith and don't have much in the way of tools, though I can get them. I'm not a complete moron though (if I do say so myself [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img] ). Has anybody here installed these things? How hard is it to do? Should I try to save myself $100 bucks? If any of you have any experience, I'd appreciate it if you could shed a little light on the situation for me. Thanks a lot. Justin

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
$50.00 may be a tiny bit high..but not much.<BR>I would charge $40.00 ea.<BR>Celt

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Justin;<BR> You're most economical route is a Dayton Traister safety, 14.95 from Brownell's. You just have to cut a slot in the shroud, which is fairly easy to do with a Dremel MotoTool and needle files to dress it up. If you plan to do many of these, it would be a skill worth learning.<P>Dan Johnson

J
JustinH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi, Dan. That's exactly the info. I was looking for. Heck, rather than pay the smith the $100, I could spend the money on a Dremel tool and do it myself. Does the Dayton Traister safety come with directions (i.e. where to make the cut in the bolt shroud, etc.)? Thanks a lot. Justin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Timney Beuhler-style low mount safety will "drop-in" on some rifles. It will require some extensive fitting on others. I usually buy several actions at one time, and I tend to try the Beuhler safety on the various actions. If it requires no grinding, I win. If it won't operate without extensive work, I use a trigger with a safety. When it drops in, it is a very desirable safety. When you have to fit it, $50 may be too little. I suspect that your smith is hedging his bet. I have never put a Beuhler on a Yugo, but I have used it on VZ 24's and 1909 Argies. It seems to fit most of the DWM Argies without any additional fitting at all!

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,801
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.