-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know the problems you fellas out west have with wolves so I won't understand your mentality. For me, it's always been a dream to see a wolf in the wild along with a grizzly.

I'm sure if I lived with them my tune would change but for now I find the wolf a fascinating animal that I would more enjoy watching than hunting.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by BrentD
I hope someone turns them in.

Interesting to see the responses here. The indignation here when someone gets busted for poaching deer from a truck leads one to believe that folks here actually believe in game laws.

So far, when it comes to wolves, more have been caught than haven't.

But yeah, the absence of a conservation ethic here is definitely a black eye for the Campfire............

Casey

An eco system with top down predation is a healthy and balanced one. Ironically many hunters are unwilling to subject themselves to such an environment. Too many these days favor high fences and canned hunts.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rkamp

Well you are new here so I guess I'll give you a pass.

Not too many high fences and canned hunts here in wuf country.

Do your homework!

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a common saying up here that can frequently be heard in the woods of Northern Minnesota. It's called "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up." 'Think that pretty much sums up the feeling s of a very large sector of the general public. Oh yeah-Brent, your a real azzhat for that statement BTW. 'Hope your trained attack lap dog gets munched by one of these wolves your so enamored with.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rrroae
I don't know the problems you fellas out west have with wolves so I won't understand your mentality. For me, it's always been a dream to see a wolf in the wild along with a grizzly.

I'm sure if I lived with them my tune would change but for now I find the wolf a fascinating animal that I would more enjoy watching than hunting.

I can understand that but it's one thing to see one and another to live with them.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An eco system with top down predation is a healthy and balanced one. Ironically many hunters are unwilling to subject themselves to such an environment. Too many these days favor high fences and canned hunts.
Uh Huh, and you hunt what where?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

leads one to believe that folks here actually believe in game laws.

someone in your profession should know wolves arent game animals.

They were exterminated for good reason.Hopefully,your dog is the one eaten on the porch, next time you visit.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Move to Alaska.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For you fellas who dislike wolves, is it more because of the hurting they put on your local game animals or is the general nuisance they are?

Even though I like wolves, I can relate to an extent because of the problems we have with coyotes. I'm sure if I lived with wolves and the trouble they brought, I'd probably quickly change my attitude.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have coyote troubles - multiply their size by 2.5 and IQ by 2. That's a wolf. Now figure out what kind of troubles you would have.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Move to Alaska.

All in good time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
If you have coyote troubles - multiply their size by 2.5 and IQ by 2. That's a wolf. Now figure out what kind of troubles you would have.

I'd assume my first problem would be with my dogs and then the drop in the deer population.

I'm just trying to understand what you fellas go thru so be a bit easy on me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Dubois, WY you used to be able to see many moose, cows, calves, and bulls in and around town. Not any more........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ebd10
I hope someone turns them in.

Interesting to see the responses here. The indignation here when someone gets busted for poaching deer from a truck leads one to believe that folks here actually believe in game laws.

Canadian Timber Wolves, like all other non-native species from pythons to ponies, should be exterminated.

This is Minnesota, not some pansy western state. Our wolves never went away and we have twice the population of the western states combined.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live just south of Austin, TX where I raise sheep. I primarily hunt feral hogs on my friends land in the mountains of N. CA. No wolves, but lots of deer, turkey, pigs and some cougars.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about this, rrr, you maybe come on board with those who have actual experience with the decimation of game and the worry about livestock, kids and whatnot?
Sure, wolves are great in someone else's backyard, that's the entire issue. Put a wolf in with some Manhattan wolf-lover's 58 cats in her studio apartment, and we'll see what sort of attitude shift takes place.
We were mildly cool with wolves and a natural repopulation down from Canada, as long as there would be a time when hunting could be reinstated to mitigate the exacerbative effects of predation on herds, and definitely to protect the livestock of producers rather than have them go broke and sell to some Commie movie star.
But no, Bruce Babbitt rammed the concept down our throats, lying all the way, and now we have ten times as many wolves as we were told would be required for de-listing...and STILL we're waiting for a ruling from a judge that was trying a case for a Naderite spinoff when he was nominated to the judgeship.
So, if you don't know our problems, how about a little deference? A dream? Nah.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd assume my first problem would be with my dogs and then the drop in the deer population.

I used to work with the Terri Winger in this story.
story here

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rrroae

Just to give you a perspective...bear hunting with dogs in WI/MI is common. However, in recent years, many bear dog hunters have lost thousands of dollars worth of dogs due to wolf attacks.

Just last weekend a guy was running a bobcat and lost one of his two dogs and the other was ripped up pretty bad.

A couple of wuf's are really no big deal to most of us but THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL just like the DNR here in WI!

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I wasn't trying to be harsh. Guy next to our hunting camp lost 4 calves this year to wolves. They took out 4 healthy 400 lb calves. Now I have to worry about my 70 pound son or my dog or whatever else I wouldn't normally think about.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
rrroae

Just to give you a perspective...bear hunting with dogs in WI/MI is common. However, in recent years, many bear dog hunters have lost thousands of dollars worth of dogs due to wolf attacks.

Just last weekend a guy was running a bobcat and lost one of his two dogs and the other was ripped up pretty bad.

A couple of wuf's are really no big deal to most of us but THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL just like the DNR here in WI!

WN

Read an article where a guy was running his dogs, 3 wolves treed him. He had to call for help from the tree. Upper Michigan. I read it in the Porcupine Press or MI Woods and Waters.

Me

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 52 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,688
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.