Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a case failure and my case is stuck <BR>in chamber no head on case I have tried an <BR>oversize brush and several things with no <BR>luck. Any ideas without hurting chamber?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Fixed it, used a lewis Lead remover and some <BR>super glue then tapped case out.

kk alaska

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kurt<BR>Good idea! I have gotten a few out by putting the whole rifle in the freezer. If that didn't do it a blast with the heat gun after it comes out of the freezer will usually let you pull it out with just a wedge of any kind in the case neck.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I'd not have believed this one, except that a very experienced gunsmith taught me the following:<P>Squirt enough gun oil into the barrel to form a short section of oil that will fill the stuck case and rise an inch or so above the case. Put a few cleaning patches down the barrel to seal and compress the oil. Let this sit for a while allowing the oil to penetrate around the stuck case. with an undersized for the rifle's bore brass rod tap on the end of the rod with a mallet until the patches compress the oil enough to expell the stuck case. This was most common method used for removing stuck cases.<P>Some required un-screwing the barrel, some were gotten out with a case extractor that was correct for the caliber/cartridge stuck.<P>But the oil compression, hydraulic, method usually worked best.

Fish Springs
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The hyrdaulic method works good if the case is whole.<BR>Never uses a lead remover, but I have used molten lead or Cerrosafe.<BR>Patch the bore about 1/4" in front of the case and pour molten lead or cerrosafe into the headless case like you where going to do a chamber cast, then with a brass rod knock the case out.<BR>This usually works, the case coming out with very little resistance.<BR>Celt

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have used a good tight rag patch shoved in from the muzzle end of the barrel. The rag contacts the lip of the case and snags helping to push the remnants of the case back out into the breach. This is a simple and easy solution to try before using super glue, a lead remover, if you have one, or melted creosafe. If this doesn't work, try the other more radical solutions.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks for all the sugestions, here are <BR>2 more my buddy told me. Use a drywall <BR>screw that expands around a 3/8" should work<BR>you can tighten it up through breach with a <BR>bolt gun. Also a sugestion was to pack toilet paper in case from breech end till <BR>it compresses then try and tap case out from muzzle end. I sorted all my cases and got <BR>rid of the ones that showed signs of stretching, the .375 H&H case life seems to <BR>be short in full power loads. Even with neck <BR>sizing only and not bumping shoulder back <BR>I have to trim case more frequently than other cases.

kk alaska

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Is it just me, or wasn't there an outfit that used to advertise case removers in Handloader? These were specifically for cases that had separated. They had fingers that engaged the brass case walls, and an extractor groove. You basically plopped one of these in the gun, and worked the bolt in, then out. If I recall, they were inexpensive, also.<P>A quick search online at Brownells doesn't show them though, and my old magazines are in storage. <P>If these devices are still made, I think I'm going to invest in a couple. All you guys sticking cases are making me nervous...<P>Scott

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KK,<BR>Depending on how "Stuck" the case is,there have been lots of good ideas.<BR>Brownells sells several different stuck case removers.An expanding reamer is a last resort,but once in the offending case a turn will usually get things out.<BR>Also,a drop of Krazy glue on a whole case stuck into the stuck case with some authority,then waiting 15 min,followed by extracting with the bolt works often for me.<BR>Usually a slightly larger than case base dia. brush inserted after a soak in Kroil will get 'em.<BR>Like I said.Brownells offers stuck case removers....<BR>Look into chamber polishing,reduced loads,and the possibility that your brass is over worked.<BR>I hate it when things are going swell and then...<BR>Good luck!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have actually used a rat-tail file that was just the right size to fit into and pull out a 303 British case that split, you just have to make sure of useing the right size and be carefull when using it, so as not to scratch anything.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Boy, you guys are going to give me nightmares! Talking about casses stuck in chambers right here before deer season opens! Glad I am not going after bear this year!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well mine happened on a deer hunt in the Kootenays here in British Columbia, but it is also home to a lot of Grizzlies, so needless to say I make sure of the age of my brass now and only use once or twice fired cases in my 303.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 53 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,678
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.