Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey all, I just aquired an LSS mountain rifle 30-06. Need to get rid of the wart and aquire some of the new low Talley one piece rings. Now to the question. I've been considering a Bansner "high Tech" stock from Brownells for a while and was wondering just how diffucult is the fitting? I have bedded several stocks and even wittled out a few that turned out nice. I just have not seen one of these as it comes out of the box. Also wondering what the butt area looks like and how best to attach a lite weight pad. Maybe even considering the "flip flop" pad I've read about on the fire. Thanks all for any assistance. Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
3M 2 part epoxy for the pad.
I have one for a Mauser 98. Had to do a little work with a file/rasp in the action area. No big deal

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All of the Bansnar/HTS stocks that I've finished have required a lot of holes in the gel coat filled and sanded. Not a big deal, but time consuming if you want the job done well. Also, these stocks come with a long LOP, so it is almost certain that you'll need to shorten the stock before you glue on the pad.

I'm kind of picky about stocks and have never been 100% satisfied with the Bansnar/HTS stocks that I've installed on Remington 7s, 600s, and 700s. I have decided that for me, McM is a better way to go, despite the extra cost and the 6 month wait.

Jeff

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
All of the Bansnar/HTS stocks that I've finished have required a lot of holes in the gel coat filled and sanded. Not a big deal, but time consuming if you want the job done well. Also, these stocks come with a long LOP, so it is almost certain that you'll need to shorten the stock before you glue on the pad.

I'm kind of picky about stocks and have never been 100% satisfied with the Bansnar/HTS stocks that I've installed on Remington 7s, 600s, and 700s. I have decided that for me, McM is a better way to go, despite the extra cost and the 6 month wait.

Jeff

+ 1

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 or 3 Bansnar/HTS stocks on Remingtons. In comparison to an early Brown that I finished, the High Tech looks like it comes 100% finished. Few, if any, holes in the gel coating and NO seam to finish off.

FWIW, I like the Bansnar/HTS stocks, but if I had my druthers and they were still available, I'd take a Rimrock/Pacific Research over all others.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
plus one on what WIFowler said

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have used McMillans, High Techs, MPI, and HS Precision. In my opinion all are good stocks but have different levels of difficulty installing them. The HS is the easiest, then the McM, then the High Tech. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment but for hunting rifles I like the High Tech best. FWIW

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still say someone needs to talk the ball, run with it, and bring Rimrock Stocks back to life. Believe me, if I had the resources, I'd give it some serious consideration.

Fiberglass Stock Manufacturing Equipment for Sale

Complete set of Equipment for manufacturing Pacific Research Labs style woven fiberglass stocks

* core molds
* finished stock molds
* braider
* oven
* bobbin winder
* raw materials
* some master patterns
* Most importantly, rights to the woven fiberglass stock manufacturing technology

If interested, call and talk with Jim Borden SR (570)-965-2505

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys, it looks like a mix a reviews but I still think I will go this route. I appreciate all the input. Does anyone know the buttpad size I would need to order if going with an "old english" style decillerator pad? Thanks again,Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
TDoes anyone know the buttpad size I would need to order if going with an "old english" style decillerator pad? Thanks again,Les

Believe that all of the Decelerator pads that I have on my High Techs started out as Large, and were ground to fit. Never used any of the 'old English' style Decelerators. Due to fitting/grinding it sometimes hard to retain the rounded-over edges all the way around the pad.

Your best bet is to trace the outline of the HTS butt on a piece of manila folder (or similar stock) after it has been cut to length. Then use the 'template' you created to compare the various size pads at a local retailer.

FWIW, on my HTS, I hogged out about 1/1-3/8" of the foam in the butt where the pad screws would go and 'glassed hardwood dowel cut-offs on the foam, making certain that the 'glass bridged from the cut-off to the outer layer of the stock. Once all that had set up, screw the pad to the stock and grind it, or have it ground to fit.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Wifowler, I guess I'll get it cut to length and then measure before I order my pad. I really like the way the 'old english' decelerator pads finish up. You do have to take care to get the closest size so you don't remove as much material and lose the rounded edges. Les

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,962
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.