J
Its Bush's fault.

JD338

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by JacquesLaRami

How is a capitalist rancher on private property supposed to compete with that? Especially when they get those leases for nearly nothing and get to "count" their own cattle when they settle the grazing fees. When they fill the salebarns with cattle, they knock the heck out of the price of beef, and we had to pay several times what they did for pasture if we lease it. Most of you would be flabbergasted as to the size of the wild herds that could be sustained in the high country if the cattle hadn't of grazed it all off.

Once again Brad, you come through with a truth--most of the larger "ranches" in the Rocky Mountains today are owned by the wealthy who want to play cowboy--and they take advantage of the taxpayer as much or more than the former ranch owners who were just trying to make a living off the land.

Casey

Typical Communists both of you - Instead of questioning whether or not the Gov't should even own such vast proportions of our land, you pretend to hide behind libertarian ideals and blame the people who are smart enough to take advantage of idiots like you who allow the Gov't to own everything.

Envy looks so good on Commies.

Last edited by BarryC; 12/30/09.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, they did that. And that is how they lost the wolves the first time. Pretty much a proven point now.

Maybe.

I would argue traps and poison tipped the balance rather than shooting, same as how 1080 {??) explosive poison traps temporarily eradicated even coyotes from some places.

Still is legal to shoot mt. lions as vermin across Texas, tho I would agree they are a special case, being as elusive as they habitually are. We have 'em within the city limits at times.

How about shoot wolves on sight on private lands?

Certainly any wolf seen around livestock is a threat, at least equal to a stray dog. Leastways I would think so if it was my money on the hoof at risk.

And just to correct an earlier point: ALL predators kill for the joy of killing even when not hungry. Pretty much an established principle of animal behavior that the various components of predatory behavior are rewarding in of themselves to the animal, independent of actual feeding.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know who commissioned the survey that Jacques posted, and I know who they hired to do the survey.

Up to 20 plus year old surveys that only ask about Yellowstone somehow don't seem very relevant today concerning wolves state wide.

Survey figures were obtained from the following studies: USFWS (1993); Statewide Surveys of Montana and Idaho Resident Attitudes Toward Wolf Reintroduction in Yellowstone National Park, A. Bath & C. Phillips (1990); Statewide Survey of the Wyoming General Public Attitude Towards Wolf Reintroduction In Yellowstone National Park, A. Bath (1987);

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
When was the last time you were in northern WI, MI, or MN for any length of time? Go talk to the stakeholders there and you will get plenty of fresh data!

Won't happen. That would require him DOING something, and would create factual information from something other than theroies.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BrentD
Northerndave, you ain't old enough to know what a deer slump looks like in NE Minnesota. Believe me. I grew up hunting deer north of Highway 2, north of Highway 1 for that matter.

Try again.

Archie, "Tirtiarialy" What the hell is that? You don't understand the definition of poacher do ya? Look it up.

Is this for real? I grew up ON highway 2. Hunted north of there all my life, and yes including very near HWY 1. From the time I started hunting until the mid 90's, there simply wern't many deer at all up there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh man, I got a good chuckle out of that one!!! laugh laugh laugh

I never allowed the government to own anything, heck if I didn't think that I'd get shot for it, I would take over the National Forests!

I was however raised on a 24,000 acre private ranch in Wyoming of not which one acre was owned by the Federal Gov't, so my version of Capitalism doesn't include cheap Gov't land leases for those in tight with the right politicians-- we paid a lot more in property taxes than most public grazers (The same ones who are charging you for access to public land, and the same ones who are crying "wolf"), pay in leases every year per acre.

I'm not going to get in a name calling game with you though, I have too much respect for most of the campfire members on each side of this issue than to have anything to do with that kind of nonsense.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
You baited with the idea that we are possibly to thank the wolves for rising deer population in the past 3 decades in MN.

I'm afraid that is your imagination going off on a trip again. I didn't say that. I said that both increased. Understand correlation and how it differs from causation. This is not complicated.

And I know all about a slump in NE MN even though I didn't originally post specifically about NE MN. (and yes, not far from hwy1)

Did you not say north of H2? As if you thought I might not know about H2, having driven it so many times, I can damn near recite the curves in order.

Myself and most of my party failed to fill tags for a stretch from the mid 90�s into the 2000�s.

You really don't know what poor hunting is. And perhaps, maybe you just can't hunt. Ever consider that? Try the 60s and 70s. You failed to fill out - as if you understood the history of deer hunting and wolves in the NE. What a joke. You're a babe in the woods, boy.

Poor hunting is poor hunting & I don�t know how much worse you can get than going several seasons on end without even seeing a deer while hunting. Unless you were hunting in 1971 when they canceled the season entirely, I guess that would be worse not even having the oportunity to try.

I was there, with the wolves.

I don�t hunt with those guys in NE MN anymore but I understand they are starting to see some deer around there again now. It�s not good hunting but they are seeing some deer again now.

Did the wolves go away? Of course not.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 700LH
Read that they were perhaps the highest quality leather coats made. Almost bought one from Northern Ontario a few years back. Then learned that the tanning methods used there the leather didn't do to well in a warmer climate of Idaho. So I passed but have always wanted a good seal skin coat.

Do they smell like fish once you get them home?........ eek

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
i for one am old enough to remember hunting back to the mid 60's.

The late 50's and most of the 60's were banner years for deer hunting in northern mn.
it was a combination of widespread logging that increased deer habitat and preditor control in the form of trapping and hunting.
Deer hunting in the seventies declined severly due to several bad winters in a row and an increase in large preditors.
I still remember many letters to the editor in local papers by farmers decrieing predation on livestock during those hard winters
Montana and Idaho have done well to get a hunting season on wolves as fast as they did, The best recourse in those states now is management. They,re pretty much there to stay.
I have no problem with a wolf population in Mn - We just need to manage them.
We can have both animals in the same ecosystem, but man as top preditor must be the check and balance to make it work for all parties concerned.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do they smell like fish once you get them home?........

Made by the locals using traditional methods, and yes odor was one of the possibles.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BarryC
Typical Communists both of you - Instead of questioning whether or not the Gov't should even own such vast proportions of our land, you pretend to hide behind libertarian ideals and blame the people who are smart enough to take advantage of idiots like you who allow the Gov't to own everything.

Envy looks so good on Commies.

See what I mean? Once again somebody shows up without reading the entire thread, goes off on a tangent, and starts calling names--impossible to have a discussion- or even a halfway civil debate.........

And by the way Barry, in just about every wolf thread I let myself get sucked into, I suggest we sell all that federal land and end all the hoopla--but you won't find any of these free, rugged, independent boys out here biting on that suggestion--such a thing is unthinkable.......

Nor am I advocating it wink

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I didn't understand why some of the others jumped on you so hard before this post even got revved up.

But I do now.

And now I get the joke "BTDT"

And it's damn funny.

no I never mentioned Hwy2, you have me confused with one of my fellow Minnesotans that said something to the effect of a wolf boundary existing roughly in that area.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I was there, with the wolves.

What does that mean? You were with them? Were you the alpha male?

grin

You have really exposed yourself here, condescending remarks & name calling.

I don't know what poor hunting is...

Oh you're right Brent, I also don't know what an apple is, or a shoe, or a house cat, or a rock... Well, I kinda know what those things are, but not nearly as well as YOU know. grin

Please forgive me.

Calling me "boy" (by the way, this boy is a decorated combat veteran of the United States Marine Corps that fought to preserve your right to call me "boy" You are welcome.)

Telling me I don't know how to hunt.

Whatever helps you stay above the rest of us in your mind Brent.

"I was there, with the wolves"

wow.

I'm not going to call you names Brent, I can see that you do enough damage to yourself.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by oldmodel
i for one am old enough to remember hunting back to the mid 60's.

The late 50's and most of the 60's were banner years for deer hunting in northern mn.
it was a combination of widespread logging that increased deer habitat and preditor control in the form of trapping and hunting.
Deer hunting in the seventies declined severly due to several bad winters in a row and an increase in large preditors.
I still remember many letters to the editor in local papers by farmers decrieing predation on livestock during those hard winters
Montana and Idaho have done well to get a hunting season on wolves as fast as they did, The best recourse in those states now is management. They,re pretty much there to stay.
I have no problem with a wolf population in Mn - We just need to manage them.
We can have both animals in the same ecosystem, but man as top preditor must be the check and balance to make it work for all parties concerned.

What an excellent post.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forgive me for I am a capitalist and see a opportunity to take advantage of the increased populations of wolves in MN and WI. No deer to shoot in the "up nort" so there are cabins, cottages, deer camps, 40s and 80s coming on the real estate market. Should be able to pick up some fine real estate in the near future...CHEAP.

I am old enough to live through a large part of the deer hunters cycle of life in Wisconsin. In the beginning the north was practically logged off and the wolves shot to hell. Young timber appeared in the slashings and the deer population exploded. There was no deer in the south to speak of so in the 1940s and 1950s us farmer boys put our nickels together and bought 40s and 80s, put up shacks, cabins, cottages, etc. We joined the mass migration up north every November...fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers...life was good. In time the north timber began to mature and deer population slowly declined. Central Wisconsin became the hot spot for deer. Many of us broke tradition and bought 40s and 80s there...put up cabins, cottages, shacks, etc. But then again many diehards stayed up north...life there was still good. In the late 1950s and early 1960s deer came on the landscape in southern Wisconsin...not explosive populations as appeared in the north and central Wisconsin, rather a steady population increase. Many of us in the south decided not to make the drive up north. We found out that we did not have to hunt a 9 day season. We could hunt weekends and Thanksgiving Day. More deer hunters left the northwoods, but life was still good...that is until now.

I want to take advantage of the northern diehards (the last holdouts) who sit in the cedar swamps and mature forests hours on end without seeing a hair...wolf hair, but no deer hair. Buy them out lock stock and barrel. Deer was and still is big business in the north, but the future is not bright. When people won't take it anymore there will be pressure on the state and Feds to do something about it. All the left wing wack job animal groups and tree huggers will be suddenly defeated in our courts and the wolves will be shot to hell. Deer populations will increase, people will want to hunt in the north again...life will be good.

I won't be here to see the end of wolf as a dominant predator, but my kids will and they can sell all the real estate I acquired to the pilgrims wanting to hunt deer "up nort."

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

"I was there, with the wolves"

He was...right there dancing with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

well,you is smart.but,I hardly think you qualify as an unbiased opinion.Do wolves qualify as "just plain cute"?

Last edited by fluffy; 12/30/09.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy

[Linked Image]

well,you is smart.but,I hardly think you qualify as an unbiased opinion.Do wolves qualify as "just plain cute"?

just how does global warming fit in to all this wolf controversy,Brent D?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fluffy I think you're on to something LOL.

NRA Lifetime Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
After reading this whole damned thread, about all I can see is that wolves make people emotional, on both sides.

I'm a non-stakeholder here, so I'll keep my yap shut, but I tend to default to the farmer/rancher side of things, since that's my background. If they don't want 'em, that's good enough for me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,709
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.