Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have two sleeping bags (one down, one synthetic) that I need to repair/replace zippers on. They are both otherwise great bags and I'd like to keep them functioning.

Both are REI bags and REI here in Anchorage does not do their own repairs anymore. I can't find any local vendor with expertise in sleeping bags. I found Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle that could replace the zipper for @ $65 plus $15 shipping.

Anyone had experience with Rainy Pass or have other suggestions I should check out?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They won't ship them to REI seattle for repair for you? I've had issues with customer service at REI as well last year, the ANC store. Oddly enough when I was on leave this fall in Georgia, I took the items in question to REI In Atlanta and got them replaced no issue.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Rainy Pass is the best there is IMO.

You could probably get REI to replace your bags if you want to go that route. As many have said REI stands for return every item smile

Ed T

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys for the replies.

Yep, REI would likely replace the bags - REI has provided great service for me forever. But the down bag is nearly 40 years old (and still a great bag) and the zipper problems are definitely NOT REI's fault.

The zippers were damaged in a commercial washing machine I used in Coeur D'Alene, ID after using the bags in the field for six weeks hunting elk in ID and MT (they definitely needed laundering before I used them on the drive back to Anchorage).

REI would ship them for me too (I live next door to the REI store manager here in Anchorage and he'd likely do anything I asked him to do - he's a GREAT guy.) But it's my fault and my problem and I don't like to use friendships.

I'll ask the REI store manager where they have their bags repaired (might even be Rainy Pass) and then either send to Rainy Pass or the REI repair vendor.

Thanks again. Appreciate the suggestions/information.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
AK Chessie,

You are an honest man with principles. Rare to find these days.

Ed T

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AK_Chessie
I have two sleeping bags (one down, one synthetic) that I need to repair/replace zippers on. They are both otherwise great bags and I'd like to keep them functioning.

Before you spend the money - take them to a dry cleaners and have them replace the zipper slides. 90% of the time, it's just the slide and not the whole zipper that's the problem. I've had many coats repaired that way.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Good suggestion. Thanks.

One slide is missing but teeth seem OK so if a local dry cleaner or tailor could do it that would be great. Will check locally on Monday.

M
M
Originally Posted by Ed_T
AK Chessie,

I'll second that!

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MoCracken
Originally Posted by Ed_T
AK Chessie,

I'll second that!

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the undeserved kind words. YOU are too kind.

I'm doing nothing that you wouldn't do and nothing that most guys on this forum wouldn't do.

I'm just trying to take care of my own problem and seeking help from others with more knowledge and information who will kindly offer their advice. And, others unselfishly offer their help.

That's the way I was taught it is supposed to be...and for a lot of us, regardless of our differences of politics or religion, it still is.

That's the best part of forums like this - opportunities to meet and learn from people from all over the world we'd otherwise never have the opportunity to communicate with or know about. One of the best things about technology.

Best to all. And, thanks again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a pair of bibs for snowmachining that have a bad zipper that i'm taking to A Stitch-In-Time in Eagle River after work today. I'll let you know if they do sleeping bags.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks. Would be nice to find somebody local.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 1936M71, 47 invisible), 11,039 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,347
Posts18,546,581
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.