Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lilja and Brux are my two favorites. i usually gather all of the parts for my builds and then contact the smith. never had a problem with a good barrel not shooting.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The worst 6.5 barrel I ever had was one of Douglas air gage barrels when the old man was still alive back from 1966. That rifle shot groups at 100 yards that looked like it came from my shotgun, it stills sets in my shop as a reminder that any of them will give you sour barrel from time to time.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have three broughtons and a hart barrel because that is what the gunsmith recommended. My 338 brougton just shot a 200yard five shot group that I covered with a nickel. Lucky day for the shooter but the gun could do it everyday.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pep_Munoz
Want to get a new barrel for my model 700. Want it in 260 rem and to be a mountain rifle profile. The rifle will be finished in some kind of black finish so dont really need stainless unless its really that much better than a regular steel one.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'd talk with the gunsmith and get his recommendation on what barrel to use.
My two go-to barrel makers are Hart for Stainless builds, and Douglas for CM barrels so they can be blued. Equal in importance as to what barrel to use is getting a good gunsmithing job.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lothar Walther are very good for the price and seem to out last many of the others. The steel is harder to work so some smiths don't care for them. Krieger has a pretty flawless reputation and Pac Nor too, although it is not the darling of the bench rest crowd many bench resters use Pac Nor for their varmint rifles.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have one Douglas, two Pac-nors, a Hart, and three (gasp) E. R. Shaws. All shoot very well. all installed by concientious (? spelling) smiths. The Hart was by Bobby.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haven't heard em' mentioned.

I'm partial to Badger Barrels, myself.

Great wear characteristics, and their "Northern Competition" line of Gas gun barrels have been racking up decent scores.

They're re-organized, and knee deep in Government contract work, so waiting is probably part of that deal.

Like Utah 708 says,.....it's really pretty good pickin's,.......all of our major brand names are very good, and like any Manufactured item, sooner or later you can encounter one that gives you the bird.

.......interesting to watch the somewhat non-partisan overlap of quality testimonials on that old Cut Rifled v. Buttoned divide, to me......

That's good news.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/31/09.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Schneider: 280AI. Many years ago. It shot great.

Hart: 300WM. Again many years ago. It shot great.

Bartlein: .308W. Two years ago. Scary good.

Douglas: 7mm-08. Should be here in 2 weeks on a LW rifle. I
expect I will be more than satisfied.

Four factory rifles tweeked by a good smith that became consistent inch or slightly larger, and I can't remember any bone stock factory that I could blame for a miss.

Put your toe in the water with a good GS and things should be good.

Last edited by battue; 01/01/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only had one rifle rebarreled, a pre-64 M-70 FW. My gunsmith recommended Douglas as the pre-64 FW contour is a standard stock design for them. It is a shooting tube - I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 on the Pac Nor Super Match Grade. I'm on my 3rd one (different guns) with very good results.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
I think a more revealing question would be "which barrels would you not reccomend"

Equally as important as barrel make is the smith installing it. I think a yet more revealing question would be "which gunsmith to not recommend."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oaktona

Equally as important as barrel make is the smith installing it. I think a yet more revealing question would be "which gunsmith to not recommend."

It is unlikely that you would get candid responses to that question.

That's one reason why so many poor businesses just keep on going, not just gunsmiths.

Just one man's opinion based on years of experience.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most are far better than a factory tube, but in light contours, I have had far better luck with a cut rifled barrel than a button barrel. My 260s wear Krieger tubes. I had a Hart on the first one and it was no bueno.

Many barrel makers are quite arrogant and so folks don't want to deal with them. I have found this to be true with some of the ones mentioned here. I will still use Gary Schneider's barrels in spite of his personality.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to put a plug in for McGowen Precision Barrels. Have been pleased with several barrels purchased when they were located in St Anne IL...now located in Kalispell MT. I don't think being located at 2950 ft elevation versus 600 ft would change the quality of their barrels

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
But management would change a bunch.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Please translate... what about management.

Thank you and best regards

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
McGowen has promised a lot that they haven't delivered.
Butch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
McGowen has promised a lot that they haven't delivered.
Butch

Did you purchase a barrel or barrels and was not satisfied?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Did you buy barrels from them recently and were not satisified?

Some feedback would be appreciated because an amigo and I going to start a new gun on a VZ24 action and re-barrel a M70 pre-64 .220 Swift.

Thank you and best regards

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where are the receivers that they promised?
Butch

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22 invisible), 14,869 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,969
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.