Print Thread
Hop To
Q
Qhorse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
I looked through the state web site and googled it, but I can't seem to find the dates. I'm planning a week long hunt this summer, and want to be sure before I finalize plans. Anyone know the exact dates for Pdog shooting on public lands? Thanks.

�Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.� Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't know there were dates - Sheesh, a season on prairie dogs... I wonder if anyone else knows? Everyone I know just shoots em' when they get a tickle in their finger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were deer hunting the CMR about 10-12 years ago and I almost ran out of ammo shooting the dumbest pdogs I had ever seen. When we got to camp they told me the pdogs were protected. I had to remind them that there were about 50 that weren't.

I haven't heard there was a season, but then again, I hadn't heard they were protected in some places either...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If there is season then there must also be a limit?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
The Big Sky is the limit..... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
how do you like your limits of pdogs , char-broiled or stir-fryed ?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
We "stir-fry" them with a hot projectile rotating at about 300,000 rpm.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Qhorse: Prairie Dogs are considered to be a "Varmint" in the state of Montana - thus you can Hunt them year round, 24 hours a day, no bag limit, no caliber restrictions and no Hunting license needed to Hunt them!
You must however have landowner permission on private lands or to cross private lands to get to Prairie Dogs on public lands!
Good luck this summer.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Schrapnel: YOU do not know how lucky you were to get away with that "un-intended" Federal Crime caper!
Yes the Prairie Dog creatures are FEDERALLY PROTECTED on the Charles M. Russel National Wildlife Refuge!
The [bleep] that would have befallen you had you been apprehended "violating" there on the "Charlie" would have put a dent in your pocket book that would bring a tear to a grown mans eyes!
DO NOT shoot Prairie Dogs on the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge!!!
AND do not shoot Bobcats on the Charlie either as they are protected year round there as well!
I was Big Game Hunting Hunting on the CMR year before last and we were on our way to finish retrieving a big Bull Elk in our pickup truck.
The sun had not risen as yet but there in the headlights in the midst of a remote Prairie Dog town was a Black Footed Ferret that was Hunting from hole to hole. Seeings it was one of the rarest animals on earth we stopped and watched him Hunt.
He gets to Hunt Prairie Dogs on the CMR but you/we humans don't!
I am not sure WHAT the Federal Statute of Limitations is on your "alleged" offense but I would NOT mention your significant faux pas IN MIXED COMPANY anymore.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The last I heard, the punishment for shooting PDs on the Charles Russell was 72 hours in a sweat lodge with Rosie O'Donnell while listening to a scratchy 8 track of Barry Manilo music - mighta changed...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
The last I heard, the punishment for shooting PDs on the Charles Russell was 72 hours in a sweat lodge with Rosie O'Donnell while listening to a scratchy 8 track of Barry Manilo music - mighta changed...

grin grin grin

Isn't Richard Simmons in there somewhere too ????

Q
Qhorse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Thanks for the replies guys. I did know I can't shoot on the CMR, as my buddy informed me of that right off. BUT, I KNOW there was a time frame, at least as of 3 years ago, that the pdogs were off limits on public land so they could raise their pups long enough for them to survive for the ferets to eat. I read about it on the state web page 3yrs ago when I was planning my last hunt, but couldn't remember the exact dates, so I figured I'd ask here. It must have gone away, as I can't even find a mention of it after hours of googling.

�Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.� Mark Twain
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just thought I would add that you do need the state lands permit to shoot anything on State land. Greedy Bass Turds.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Q
Qhorse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
Shootist Thanks for the reminder. I always include it w/ my online tags, so I have it every year. One of my good buddies is the local game warden, and as much as I hate to pay the stupid fee, it's better than putting him in a bind at some point.

Q
Qhorse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Q
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:GE5RCcr8AbcJ:www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/mt/blm_information/bpsfall09.Par.37682.File.dat/PDogs.pdf+prairie+dog+management+law+mt&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbRyzG2e9ksAhY3eU3e0Q2x2w7v2Wg

Here's a link (cut and paste if you can't click it) describing some of what I was talking about. If you read through the first page a ways (I tried to cut and paste the meaningful text, but it wouldn't allow it), you'll see that whatever management they had it place dissappeared in 07. I guess I'm good to go anytime...I hope.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 50 invisible), 1,764 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,137
Posts18,523,243
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.