Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by BrentD

Indeed, so why celebrate a bunch of law-breaking hooligans that are poaching them?

The biggest problem right now for me is that to protect your own property/family would be poaching.

Historically speaking, the word poaching paints a particular picture for me, it means intentionally pursuing/hunting/trapping illegally.

But now people that entertain the idea of protecting their livestock, pets or children at their own residence are tossed into the general category "poachers"

Which I believe is very unfortunate.

I truly believe the majority here just wants sensible rights & management. That's all.

Very few are screaming for eradication.

Happy new year everybody.

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
WDNR doesn't know how to count. I doubt they really have a clue how many wolves roam Wi. I know there is more in Jackson County than they think and that ain't the most remote part of the state either.

Can't be any in Jackson county. They're northern forest animals, and brent didn't count any down there.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tzone

Cheering for lawbreakers and advocating SSS will NOT hasten that eventuality. If hunters supported the restoration of wolves, it would be damn hard to politically deny them the right to hunt wolves. But hunters blew it big big big time. I have no sympathy on that count.

Brent

That isn't the problem. the wolf huggers such as yourself don't want them shot, legal or otherwise. And will spend mega bux tying the issue up in court as much as possible.

See, this is what happens, when somebody displays a conservation ethic that includes ALL wildlife. The moment somebody defends wildlife, instead of only defending a species that are politically correct for a few, the falsehoods and false accusations fly.

Brent never suggested--in any manner--that he won't hunt wolves--indeed, he has said MANY times on these wolf threads he would hunt wolves if given the legal opportunity.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Sure, Michigan has attempted to maximize the whitetail population to provide an opportunity for outdoorsmen. If we let the wolf population increase to "normal" levels it will be at the cost of the deer. There are fewer wolf hunters than whitetail hunters (who provide the majority of funds for the fish/wildlife programs), so why allow the wolf population to re-establish itself? From a biological standpoint it's wrong to keep the whitetail population high, at the same time wolves will never replace whitetails and what they bring to the table...

If game management is just about money making, perhaps, but I'm not so sure. Meanwhile, do you know the consequences of a ridiculously high whitetail population? How is your hemlock and oak seedling recruitment? What effect will that have on your forests in another hundred years? You may not care, but the Michigan DNR has to care. It's their job.

My guess is that increased tourism and wolf hunting will do a lot to increase the economics of the region, though perhaps not the coffers of the MI DNR specifically. In any event, study up on your trees and how they are doing. Here in Iowa, we have 30 yr old oaks that are only 6" tall because they get nipped to the ground every year. On my own property, there are no sapling or young oaks at all. Zero. Deer are the reason. My forest will turn to sugar maple which is pretty, but does not support many deer, few turkeys and fewer still squirrels. Game will eventually decline.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Cheering for lawbreakers and advocating SSS will NOT hasten that eventuality. If hunters supported the restoration of wolves, it would be damn hard to politically deny them the right to hunt wolves. But hunters blew it big big big time. I have no sympathy on that count.
Brent

I think many did, at the least support it. Sort of a novelty if you will. And many did under the assumption that there would be some sort of control, and, big surprise, there hasn't been, and the light at the end of the tunnel can't be seen at this juncture.

And, your carrying capacity statement carries little weight as the WI DNR continues to beat their collective chest that they're renowned and admired across the nation for their ability to assess and count deer, wolves and bears. Yeah, they're 0-3 and you're exactly 0-for-this-entire-thread.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The biggest problem right now for me is that to protect your own property/family would be poaching.

Dave, if shooting any wolf you see in the name of protection is what you mean, ain't gonna happen. But if you shoot a wolf that is charging your little girl or that is attacking your dog, no jury on the planet is going to convict you. NONE. And I'm all for that.

BTW, I have a new pup named Gus as well (another one for your collection, Fluff)

[Linked Image]

I truly believe the majority here just wants sensible rights & management. That's all.

Very few are screaming for eradication.

We must be reading different forums.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello Brent,

Do not want to change direction of this thread so sent you a personal message...question on pre-Euro settlement and post Euro-settlement populations of wolves and coyotes

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Indeed, so why celebrate a bunch of law-breaking hooligans

Well, we do a similar thing as a nation every year, it's called "The 4th of July."

Civil disobedience is an American tradition. There's a few good books on the subject, you should read one. laugh

When backed into a corner, I believe in civil disobedience for a just cause.

Having wolves force-fed by those with a larger agenda (ie, the elimination of sport hunting) isn't something that should necessarily be accepted passively. The wolf in the hands of various eco-groups borders on a religious, fund-raising mantra that is a cynical tool to further a larger agenda. That's a FACT.

Around here, most of us greeted the idea of the wolf reintroduction with skepticism and took a wait and see attitude, hoping the promises made would be fulfilled. Wolves are breeding faster than the current culling quota's can control... elk and moose numbers are down throughout the wolf's range, and in some areas precipitously so. Personally, most of us in Montana like to hunt and would like to see the tradition here for our kids. The wolf, left to breed at the little-controlled pace right now, could jeopardize that tradition.

MTFWP would like higher bag limits on wolves, but can't afford the litigation groups like Defenders Of Wildlife will bring. MTFWP has stated such publicly.

I for one love the wild, mournful howl of the wolf and the fact he's in our mountains... but NOT at the expense of my hunting rights, and the future of Montana hunting.

That Yellowstone was overgrazed was a fact. That the park service wasn't going to allow hunting in the park to control the ungulate numbers was a fact. That the wolf was a logical solution given the other two facts, is a fact. That the wolf has done its job too successfully is also a fact.

It doesn't/never had to be an "either-or" proposition, but the bulk of inflexibility and intransigence has been on the wolf-huggers side, and many of us fear it may be too late if left to the wrangling in the courts.

Many of us in MT were not originally a supporters of SSS. Many, if not most of us, have changed our minds based on the double-dealing, lying and manipulation we've witnessed here since 1996...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya done rung the bell again Brad. laugh

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 Brad!!!

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Get ready...he's going to call your a retard soon. grin

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Hunted WI near Minoqua this year, as I have for thirty years.

On opening day a hunting buddy had to stop and load his rifle on the way to his treestand. 5am in the morning with wolves on both sides of him just out of sight paralleling his walk to the stand. He got nervous. I would too.

Plenty of bear up there, but I have never felt the need to be armed when scouting or setting up a blind or stand. That has changed now.

WI statewide deer harvest down 29%. Oneida county where I hunt was down 50%. The DNR blames the fog on opening morning. I blame the fog in the minds of those in the DNR. The DNR is catching holy-he!!, and rightfully so. Neither the wolves nor their protectors are off-limits.

The forest floor in the hardwoods is an inch deep with acorns. No deer to eat them.

Time for the top predator to re-balance the eco-system. [bleep] the "professionals" and their idealistic theories.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well said Brad, nailed it.

Also, the biggest Red Hearing of propaganda out there is that woofes only
eat the sick and dying.

And they are NOT a big game animal, they are a predator dog and should be treated as such.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Historically speaking, the word poaching paints a particular picture for me, it means intentionally pursuing/hunting/trapping illegally.

But now people that entertain the idea of protecting their livestock, pets or children at their own residence are tossed into the general category "poachers"

Which I believe is very unfortunate.

My exact thoughts on the word "poaching".

But I wasn't going to bother typing it because BrentD won't hear it anyway. He never listens to anything or anybody. Proved that long ago. Also proved he's a lefty liberal and a commie. And mentalities like his are a very large portion of what's wrong in America today.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ah-

You'll just need to type slower for him. grin

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very well stated! grin

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Actually I've just been PM'd by a friend here that has helped by pointing out that my statements about not being able to defend people (I've said children ir kids several times now) is not correct.

I'm very glad to be wrong about that grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Brent, what's the cost to the shooter to hear the jury say, "not guilty on all counts"?

TL

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave, if shooting any wolf you see in the name of protection is what you mean, ain't gonna happen. But if you shoot a wolf that is charging your little girl or that is attacking your dog, no jury on the planet is going to convict you. NONE. And I'm all for that.
Brent

There's another problem right there, with people like you, Brent.

Just because you know a jury won't convict you believe everything is AOK. Well, it isn't!

The legal fees alone will ruin most people. And that's NOT even going to jury trial. If it goes that far, they'll have to sell the ranch just to pay for it all. That's wrong. You can't get any more wrong than that. People like that with that mentality cheerfully leave victims in their wake everywhere they go. Shame on you.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know to rid the country in years gone by they used poison. I for one dont see how sport hunting them is going to make a dent. After all with a close to 900,000 hunters in the woods during gun season and we cant make a dent in the coyote population here in PA.
Coyotes are not wolves.
If man could have eradicated the coyote, he would have long since disappeared from the landscape. It has been tried by ever method man could devise. Coyote lives on, reintroduction will never be necessary.

Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,952
Posts18,519,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.