Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm trying to find my ultimate small game cartridge, chipmunks will be the main quarry with the occasional grey squirrel thrown in to boot when I can muster enough money for the outfitter. (Why do squirrel outfitters charge so much?)

I thought I had it narrowed down, but then I read the threads where some Dober guy in Montana says a .308 will work just splendid on Elk ,but yet two other guys are arguing whether a 350 Rem mag is needed on Texas deer.

Then I read about this Shoemaker dude up in Alaska who has says a 30/06 with 200's or 220's is fine for Brown bear but then I remind myself about the thread where the 270 was marginal for western deer hunting.

Then there is the issue of what color tape to use to protect the muzzle, that's gonna be a tough one to figure out for sure.

I'm afraid to post what cartridge I am thinking about for this type of hunting because it will denigrate into a chitt storm with the HeemanLeeman who invented everything here leading the parade.

On the plus side I have the optics choice nailed down, I going with iron sights w/ elevation turret only. No help needed on that end.

What's a guy to do?

Your suggestions are welcomed as I am soooooo confused now.

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
470 NE is the way to go.... never know when you will have to turn a charge from one of those things.... remember they are fast.... watch for them to throw their tail up... if they do start blasting..... wink

seriously.... thanks for the post... made me smile this morning.

It never ceases to amaze me all fo the "experts" and their statements... I just got around to read my May 2009 Rifle magazine and was surprised to learn that the .270 is the minimum for mule deer... and the 300WSM is the perfect round....

Last edited by Sako; 12/31/09.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Be confused no longer...Tonight is not ONLY gonna be a full moon...It'll be a blue moon as well...throw in the fact that it's the beginning of a new year...Understand now???

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
PowerGuy,

I solved the same problems long ago. The best answer is to use whatever you want. Totally impervious to the input of the eggspurts here.

If I feel like using a .416 Rigby for Mi whitetails, I do... and have done so. I'm here to tell you it works just fine. And it puts their lights out. Right now! I do admit, however, that it may be a bit of overkill.... and I've only done it once.

These days, I mostly use the medium bores... and find little necessity to carry things to the extremes... There is a lot of freedom in carrying things to the extremes... tho' YMMV...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sako
It never ceases to amaze me all fo the "experts" and their statements... I just got around to read my May 2009 Rifle magazine and was surprised to learn that the .270 is the minimum for mule deer... and the 300WSM is the perfect round....

Works for me!
(Unless of course it's a 'gentlemen's' hunt, then I'd take a 22-250 or a 257 Roberts.....grin)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd say that your choice in rifles depends on whether or not you will have back-up.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Powerguy
I'm trying to find my ultimate small game cartridge, chipmunks will be the main quarry with the occasional grey squirrel thrown in to boot when I can muster enough money for the outfitter. (Why do squirrel outfitters charge so much?)

I thought I had it narrowed down, but then I read the threads where some Dober guy in Montana says a .308 will work just splendid on Elk ,but yet two other guys are arguing whether a 350 Rem mag is needed on Texas deer.

Then I read about this Shoemaker dude up in Alaska who has says a 30/06 with 200's or 220's is fine for Brown bear but then I remind myself about the thread where the 270 was marginal for western deer hunting.

Then there is the issue of what color tape to use to protect the muzzle, that's gonna be a tough one to figure out for sure.

I'm afraid to post what cartridge I am thinking about for this type of hunting because it will denigrate into a chitt storm with the HeemanLeeman who invented everything here leading the parade.

On the plus side I have the optics choice nailed down, I going with iron sights w/ elevation turret only. No help needed on that end.

What's a guy to do?

Your suggestions are welcomed as I am soooooo confused now.

Just be sure those iron sights have click adjustments if yer' gonna be twirlinig turrets...............just sayin'....... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
I'd say that your choice in rifles depends on whether or not you will have back-up.

Would it be ok for the guide to put one into the squirrel also or only if it charges us?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Would it be ok for the guide to put one into the squirrel also or only if it charges us?

Depends on if you're gonna put it in B&C, and don't want an astrick by your name.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aalf

Depends on if you're gonna put it in B&C, and don't want an astrick by your name.

If I was charged by an enraged squirrel I`d want to come out of it with my asterisk right where it belongs. If your asterisk is safe and the animal ain`t charging, I`d tell the guide to hold off. Otherwise tell him it`s his call but, remember it`s your asterisk on the line. smile

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
405 CheyTac is the best all-around caliber... and you'll have to have NULA Paint the appearance of tape onto the end of the barrel.

BTW, it won't group under .75 MOA unless its been floated and pillar bedded in a swirl patterned fluorescent green and pink fiberglass stock, and its barrel has been slugged, lapped, and coned, re-crowned, and the action has been trued, squared, centered and set back to a super short magnum.

Don't get me started on optics.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a few squirrels in the book......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't believe any of it - a frangible .14 at modest velocities will do it all...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/31/09.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm thinking 308, but the whole 308 elk thread makes me believe it is not enough for squirrels.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I take the 7-08 for tree rats. Works better than the .308 anyway wink

CLB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hornady 250 Grain Round nose @ 2500 FPS. Nuff said. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4xbear

From a #1 converted to full auto.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Anyone else spinning turrets on iron sights?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Anyone else spinning turrets on iron sights?

Powerguy,

I am thinking that you may be more confused than you realize. You have seemingly not noticed the difference in cartridge capability when the "proper" bullet is used, in particular the "magic" Barnes X. When using a Barnes X the marginal for mule deer 270 Win becomes capable, no! not just capable but overkill for elephant. So for your chipmunks if you could get a barnes x and blow it out of a drinking straw you would be over gunned but ready in case a rouge grizzly happens by. With some more reading you will be able to catch up with the "experts" in the hunting/shooting game.

Happy New Year

8mmwapiti

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hands down best round for munks is 12ga 00-buck shot.

460 SW Mag
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.