Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
WSM_Fan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
At the risk of sounding really dumb, I need to ask a question about loading.
Do you guys always use the expander ball when sizing using the Redding NK Bushing dies? Seems pointless to use the bushing and then pull it through the expander. Anyone using a two step NK sizing process where you remove the expander on the second pass through?

460 SW Mag
HR IC

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am using the expander. It pushes any inconsistency in the neck wall thickness to the outside leaving the ID a perfect cylinder which is important for bullet alignment on the finished cartridge.

I am using the bushing neck die and the competition bullet seat die. When measuring bullet run-out on a NECO gauge, I never see over .002" and many are less than .001". With those kind of results I don't see the need to change my process.

I have seen expanders on other brand dies induce run-out, but not with the Redding set I am using.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use the Redding neck sizer competition dies with no expanders. I size no more than .005 inch at a time on the necks, so it takes two passes to get where it should be. Example: A .223 fired neck is .255 inch, so I use a .250 bushing, and then a .245 depending on the brass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tennessee
I am using the expander. It pushes any inconsistency in the neck wall thickness to the outside leaving the ID a perfect cylinder which is important for bullet alignment on the finished cartridge.

I am using the bushing neck die and the competition bullet seat die. When measuring bullet run-out on a NECO gauge, I never see over .002" and many are less than .001". With those kind of results I don't see the need to change my process.

I have seen expanders on other brand dies induce run-out, but not with the Redding set I am using.

But it the expander is pushing any inconsistency to the outside of the neck, why doesn't the concentricity gauge see it if/when you run the mic on the neck?

I understand you may have good bullet alignment with the inside wall of the neck being consistently round, but I'm not so sure the bushing dies and expander result in pushing inconsistent neck wall thickness to the outside.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Tennessee

But it the expander is pushing any inconsistency to the outside of the neck, why doesn't the concentricity gauge see it if/when you run the mic on the neck?

I understand you may have good bullet alignment with the inside wall of the neck being consistently round, but I'm not so sure the bushing dies and expander result in pushing inconsistent neck wall thickness to the outside.

Casey

Run-out is a different geometric tolerance from concentricity. I am just measuring run-out of the finished cartridges using the NECO, not concentricity. The NECO is set up to contact the finished cartridge at only one place on the case (near the web) and one place on the bullet (on the full diameter of the bullet just in front of the case mouth) with the indicator touching the ogive. When you roll the cartridge you are just getting a measurement of how straight you put the bullet into the case. The neck OD may be out of concentricity but it is not being touched or measured in this setup. If the ID of the neck was very round and very straight before you pressed in the bullet you will see very little bullet run-out with this measurement.

Without a doubt concentricity of the OD of the neck is important, but the run-out measurement is is much as I am willing to do for my hunting rifle.

Another reason I am not looking at the neck OD is that I am using Norma brass and it is unbelievably consistent in regards to very low neck wall thickness variation (ID to OD concentricity)

BTW I don't think anyone is doing wrong if they skip the expander. My cases are so good I could probably do without it as well. My only point is that my loads are shooting so good I do not believe that tweaking my process is going to yield any more accuracy in my light weight hunting rifle.

Last edited by Tennessee; 01/01/10.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 56 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,902
Posts18,498,139
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.