Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I've got a M700 BDL .30/06 that I've been thinking of rebarreling. I was wondering if it's possible to change it to a .35 Whelen or .338/06? I would assume it is since they're both the children of the ole '06. Also, would the bolt face have to be changed any and can the same magazine be used? How much $$ am I looking at and is it a pretty simple project for a smith or a lot of work? Thanks for any help or recommendations from anyone.......GH<p>PS - this is not set in stone, just something I've been day-dreaming about. Yall know how us gun nuts are.

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It's a simple, straight forward process. Just pick a good barrel, and select someone to do the work. I really like Pac-Nor's work, and products. You just pull off the scope, pull the rifle out of the stock, and mail it to them with instructions. They send it back with your choice of material, contour, twist, and lenth.
I don't know if the scope mounts must be removed too. They can finnish the metal work.
There shouldn't be any other work needed, with those cartriages. Try www.pac-nor.com. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You could also rebore the barrel to your desired caliber for around $200. I had a Rugar '06 rebored to .35 Whelen and am extremely pleased. <p>Call Wayne York, Oregunsmithing...503-678-6353

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the info guys. E, I've heard you and Big Stick talk quite a bit about Pac-Nor barrels and take it from yall that they're excellent. How much do they cost? [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img] Also, I checked out the web-site and some of the stuff about the different contours is confusing. I've never worked on or done anything custom to my gun. I take it I could call and the folks up there could help me out? Thanks for the help again.........GH

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes. A phone call would be a good idea.
There should be a price list on the web site.
They are excellent. I've known several happy customers.
It's really very simple. E

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GreenHead,<p>The type of conversion/rebarreling you mention,is as simplistic as it gets. A new barrel and you are done.<p>PacNor's best barrel and that installation,is going to set you back $420. <p>Call and talk to Chris(Pres. of PacNor). Explain to him,that you are new at this,but are wanting something GOOD. He'll happily explain your options. Or you could ask questions here and get different input.<p>My advice is,if you are happy with the length/balance of your existing barrel,then simply replicate those dimensions. That is standard procedure,for any Gunsmith.<p>Or if you happen to love the length/balance,of a different rifle,then reproduce that.<p>The lighter the contour(smaller the number)the more slender the barrel's profile. Figure your existing barrel,is a #2. A Remington Varmint barrel,is a #5. Obviously,the #3 and #4,fall between those two. <p>Those are general guidelines,because everyone's contour dimensions,are slightly different.<p>For the two cartridges you mention,I'd go with a #3 contour and 23" long,using their S/S Supermatch blank. Ample length,without making it unhandy and a little heft,to soak up recoil.<p> But that is subjective. What I personally like,may not suit anyone else.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
kev Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
HI,
<br>
<br>BIG STICK, will PacNor complete a whole rifle. Do they do gunsmithing as well of course make barrels. If I were to send them a action and stock would they set it up completely or would I have to send it out to a gunsmith and if they do the whole deal is there work good?. Thanks,Kev

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They will complete the rifle if needed..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry Kevin,I missed your question.
<br>
<br>Call Chris and yack at him,they will do most anything you wish and do it well.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
kev Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
HI,
<br>
<br>Thanks as I am thinking of just getting a stock from Mcmillan and a cz550 action and a scope and sending it to them and have them complete the whole rifle.I would also like some kind of rust proofing, but I guess I could always send it out later for that. Thanks,Kev

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1_deuce, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 14,304 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,291
Posts18,545,230
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.