Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In the late 1970�s, I was an R&D Program Manager for new navigation technologies and applications. We were running tests of a new system which required installing an antenna at the top of a 550� LORAN tower north of Jupiter, Florida. I timed my inspection visit to coincide with the installation and had authorization to accompany the Coast Guard installers. I arrived the day before the climb so I could be briefed on the climb and the safety procedures.

It would take over an hour to climb the tower so we had to check all the gear, equipment and tools before we left the ground (�Hey George, I forgot the �� box wrench, would you mind going back down and bringing it up?�). Each of us would have carried 35 pounds of tools and equipment on the climb. I was given an empty 1 liter soft drink bottle to use as a rest room, and checked out in a safety harness that buckled onto safety stops so your fall was limited to 8 feet or so.

On the morning of the climb, a thunderstorm was forecast, so the climb was postponed. I had to leave and have always regretted missing the climb and the view!

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rnr
I've climbed This 865' tower. 3 times to the top.

I stopped by Devils Tower in 1961 on my way to Glacier NP. Most impressive! My hat's off to you for climbing it, especially 3 times!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was 21 I climbed hand over hand down a 190 foot 1/2" cable. About half way down I stopped to admire my location.

There is quite the story to that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Tell the engineer that he will have to climb down and back up with the air pack on before it can be certified by use for any employees. If he can't do it, you don't pay him.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Double tap.

Last edited by Wevil; 01/02/10. Reason: Double tap.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been to the top of Mt Mitchell , except for an airplane it's the tallest thing we got east of the Mississippi

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Wevil
Tell the engineer that he will have to climb down and back up with the air pack on before it can be certified by use for any employees. If he can't do it, you don't pay him.

That's one way to make him think out the problem!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once I put in nearly all night climbing what I thought surely was the world's tallest ladder 'till I sobered up enough to realize that I was crawling on a railroad track. Quite an experience.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was a lineman for 32yrs. I've climbed 115' poles with hooks. My best story is the old guy that they asked to change the bulbs in a 300' tower. His answer was, sure, just lay it down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

I believe a lot of the guys came from a particular indian tribe...not sure if they had a natural tollerance of heights or whether it was for some other reason?

Regards,

Peter

Peter;
We knew a chap who worked the high steel in the '70's. He said he was the only Saskatchewan boy out there at that time.

I seem to recall him saying many of his work mates were either Mohawks or Newfoundlanders.

I'm sorry that I can't even guess why that might have been, but that is what I recall him saying at that time.

Perhaps someone else can help out as to why those two groups were drawn to that line of work?

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yeah,I could climb it!Might have to stop and catch my breath once or twice.Once you get off the ground,you get used to it,sometimes you even forget how high you are.Working like that everyday,and seeing others do it kinda takes the fear away.I'm a lineman and work off the ground everyday,but not near that high! Lightman

lightman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like heights. They are peaceful. I got to walk on the Golden Gate Bridge. Not only on the road, but also on the cables.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey lightman, when I started we didn't have have buckets and didn't glove. Many times I have seen a cloud float over in the background when working with sticks, and grab the pole thinking that it was falling. I climbed poles for years, but I'm still afraid of heights.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've climbed a 700 foot ladder.

[Linked Image]
Talk about the ultimate deer stand...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Worked on a 485ft steel tower over looking the Columbia river. Man what a view... The falling feeling when clouds fly over never goes away, you get used to it.

nash

Last edited by nash22; 01/03/10.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

The longest I've climbed is about 200 ft--when I got to the top I had to rig up and hang in a bosun's chair.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by rnr
I've climbed This 865' tower. 3 times to the top.

I stopped by Devils Tower in 1961 on my way to Glacier NP. Most impressive! My hat's off to you for climbing it, especially 3 times!

Well it was on the easiest route there, whistle but DT is cool! One of those times was in Aug. I could hear all the Harleys on their way to Sturgis out on the hiway.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Croldfort,Yeah,I've been fooled when looking up at the clouds when they are moving and I'm not.You can't help but to grab for something.When I first started,we still serviced our own radio tower and river crossing tower lights.That duty usually went to the young guys,which I was at one time.Several of those towers were taller that the ladder in this post.Are you retired?Miss it? Lightman

lightman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I'm retired and I don't miss a minute of the phone ringing in the middle of a stormy night. I retired in 1999 at age 55. I hired on in 1967. The sad thing about retiring is that all the old guys that you want to be at the retirement party are already gone. Hey, there is a great old movie called "Slim" about a lineman. It was made in 1937 starring Henry Fonda, Jane Wyman, and Pat O'Brien. Outstanding, if you can find it. Good luck.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've seen it,it is a great movie.I probably can't go at 55,but am still looking foreward to it someday.Know what you mean about the party,all of the guys that trained me are gone,now I'm an old fart.Was good to talk with you,stay in touch, Pete

lightman
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 3,473 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,634
Posts18,533,297
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.