Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bcp
All the good features of a Savage, but with style.

Bruce

Savage has an excellent reputation for quality, accuracy and reliability, but attractiveness is one of the Savage Bolt Action's features. Maybe, the Marlin will spur them on to develop an attractive action.

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by iambrb
I am mad at them. I am mad because that under $300 gun outshoots my $2000 Mannlciher Schoenauer. That buncha jerks

I think we are all angry at someone for just this reason! I'm angry with Winchester, Colt and Remington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately, Remington, winchester, and others can't sell a gun like the marlin under their names. If they did, who in their right mind would by any model 700 or model 70? MArlin took the best features from proven guns and put them all into a package the average blue-collared man can afford.

Now if we can get Marlin to offer a factory carbine and some more chambering in the XL and XS guns we can all have a gun for any reason.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Makes me think that in this day and age of CNC, plastics/composites, powdered metal injection molding, and NO "hands-on" perhaps the M700, M70, M77 and any other $500+ gun should actually be a $300 gun.
Suppose they've been riding the Gravy Train for a couple of decades?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Well the stock is serviceable, the follower is plactic, which I don't like. The trigger takes some getting use to and of course the barrel nut is butt ugly.

Biggest issue with an example of 1 is ejection is less than enthusiastic, and I've heard of a few others just like that.

Time is the best test and we will see, course lots of folks enjoy beating the drum for new stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta agree, barrel nut is ugly. In combo with the Rem spacer/lug it's even uglier than Savage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who cares? That barrel nut is why the guns are so accurate and don't cost a fortune. If you have any mechanical ability, you can by a barrel kit from E.R. Shaw for $200 and change the barrel on the gun.

I have no issues with ejection and after 20 shots or so[to get used to it], the trigger feels the way a trigger should feel. Crisp, clean, and repeatable.

Remington, Winchester, Browning, etc., can't sell a gun like thew Marlin. It would ruin their price point. DO you think Cadillac or BMW would ever sell a $15,000 car? No, because their customers expect certain features and finishes in their products.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
that butt ugly barrel nut arrangement makes for a shooting machine-if you want to spend more for less performance that is your call-i have shot some of the best groups of my life with my XL7C 270-this is from a out of the box stock rifle that i paid less than 300.00 for!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easy, easy guys. I'm one of the XL7 drumbeaters. May have had the first one on this site. Been talking about them for two years now. Am familiar with the good and bad points. Have my 3rd one in my hands now. Still think they have some ugly features that I can live with for the $$.
As to the big 3 and the "features and finishes", the Marlin fit and finish equals the lower tier guns of the big 3.
I just don't believe headspacing a real barrel costs the manufacturers an extra $2-300.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
i forgot to mention that i also don't have any ejection problems or feeding problems and the trigger was good to go as it came out of the box-i have rifles that i have 2 to 3 times more money in that the XL7C shoots as good or better-enough said!

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Agreed, in fact I'd be surprised if any other rifle but the Marlin XL7 exists 5 years from now. They are the best rifle in the world.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Easy, easy guys. I'm one of the XL7 drumbeaters. May have had the first one on this site. Been talking about them for two years now. Am familiar with the good and bad points. Have my 3rd one in my hands now. Still think they have some ugly features that I can live with for the $$.
As to the big 3 and the "features and finishes", the Marlin fit and finish equals the lower tier guns of the big 3.
I just don't believe headspacing a real barrel costs the manufacturers an extra $2-300.

While the headscaping method saves alot of money, other things save money too. Matt blued finish, plain jane recoil pad, smaller bolt handle, plastic stock, plastic trigger guard, plastic follower, blind magazine, less marketing, no show/famous personality sponsorships, no NASCAR sponsorships,etc,. They all add up to a more expensive firearm. Why do you think Mathews bows are so expensive? It seems like everyone under the sun is paid to use them and promote them. Remington, Berretta, Winchester, Browning all have expensive deals they pay for and it effects their sale prices.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 01/03/10.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Unfortunately, Remington, winchester, and others can't sell a gun like the marlin under their names. If they did, who in their right mind would by any model 700 or model 70? MArlin took the best features from proven guns and put them all into a package the average blue-collared man can afford.

Now if we can get Marlin to offer a factory carbine and some more chambering in the XL and XS guns we can all have a gun for any reason.

Make one in 338 Federal and Marlin has a sale!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Gotta agree, barrel nut is ugly. In combo with the Rem spacer/lug it's even uglier than Savage.

At his price, ugly becomes beautiful. And, it is more attractive than the Savage.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well I sorted brass by brand this AM and perused the bullet,powder and casing supplies. I have several part boxes of 125 gr Sierra spitzers and thought that might be the place to start.After sizing a supply of Fed brass,I trimmed and did a VLD chamfer on the cases. Primed with CCI-200 primers. Chose IMR 4320, just like the Sierras, a part can. Initial work,sighting in, and familiarization does not need to be with prime components. 12 rds and it is on the money at 50 yds. Used 2 shots at a time, before adjusting the scope. Nice pairs anywhere from 3/8" to 3/4" apart beween the pairs. 50 yds because that is the length of my range off the back of my deck to the target butt.50 yds will put it pretty close at 100. I will now size all my brass and trim it. Probably sort thru the 30 cal bullets and see how I'm sitting for the 150-165 gr wt range. I believe I have a box of the Nosler 150 solid base bullets left,that should be fine for deer and antelope. Guess I could have stayed home and done some more loading and shooting but it was time for the afternoon mallard flight, did ok there too. Magnum_Man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Well I sorted brass by brand this AM and perused the bullet,powder and casing supplies. I have several part boxes of 125 gr Sierra spitzers and thought that might be the place to start.After sizing a supply of Fed brass,I trimmed and did a VLD chamfer on the cases. Primed with CCI-200 primers. Chose IMR 4320, just like the Sierras, a part can. Initial work,sighting in, and familiarization does not need to be with prime components. 12 rds and it is on the money at 50 yds. Used 2 shots at a time, before adjusting the scope. Nice pairs anywhere from 3/8" to 3/4" apart beween the pairs. 50 yds because that is the length of my range off the back of my deck to the target butt.50 yds will put it pretty close at 100. I will now size all my brass and trim it. Probably sort thru the 30 cal bullets and see how I'm sitting for the 150-165 gr wt range. I believe I have a box of the Nosler 150 solid base bullets left,that should be fine for deer and antelope. Guess I could have stayed home and done some more loading and shooting but it was time for the afternoon mallard flight, did ok there too. Magnum_Man

Are you loading for a 308? If so be VERY CAREFUL with those Federal cases. I myself and many others have nothing but bad luck andserious case failures with Federal 308 brass. After 2-3 firings, the primer pockets are so loose they're junk. It's also not uncommon to have the primer pocket expand so much the primer falls out or disappears when firing the cartridge. In my own personal experience, this has happened with mild loads and I sell or throw away any federal 308 case I find at the range.

It's only been an issue with the 308 cases, and I believe that is due to the GMM ammo federal sells. I believe any case that doesn't meet GMM standards is loaded into the hunting ammo. It is fine for one firing, but all bets are off after that. they make the cases to be the most accurate cartridge possible and they don't give a hoot abouot reloading them. I've had no issues with the 243 cases I use but 308 cases get sent to the scrap yard.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
dsm, I will take your experience with FC cases and watch them real close. I did notice that after sizing and triming them all that I appear to have 3 different lots some 162 grs, some 165 grs and a 3rd group at 176 grs which is pretty close to what the LC military weighs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do they make the Marlin in Left hand?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
Do they make the Marlin in Left hand?

Nope. You'd need to do like Boddington and thousands of other lefties do. I wouldn't plan on a left handed action in the near future either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No they do not BUT my buddy (a southpaw) bought a right handed 7mm08 (tack driver) and says it is faster than his LH Savage in 300 Win Mag. Why? Because it is so light (2-7 Leupold) he can hold it with his left hand by the pistol grip and operate the bolt with his right. Snickety-snick action helps too.
-Savage floating bolt head
-Savage barrel nut
-Glock safety trigger
-700 stock, safety & bolt handle
-Weatherby fluted bolt body & shroud
-Pillar bedding

They borrowed all the best ideas.
With mine GBing and free floating doubled accuracy.
Savage barrels also interchange and a barrel swap takes about 20 minutes.
My XLC "270" is now a temporary 22-06 (reject Savage 22-250 barrel rechambered). Both calibers shoot rather well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

22-06 55 gr Dogtowns, 65 gr H869 +-4000 fps.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280fan, 30 invisible), 1,379 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,344
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.