Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy all,

I am curious as to how much damage most folks put up with regarding carbon arrows, specifically cracking at the nock and tip. I have some older Gold Tip 55/75s that are showing some wear and tear. Some have just a hairline crack at one end of the other, of maybe 1/4 or 3/8" in length. Even with a hand lens, I can't really see how deep the cracks are, but most appear superficial. One arrow has a pretty noticeable crack with the edges displaced and about 5/8" long. I expoxied this and have shot it with no problem, but I am thinking of getting rid of anything with any crack at all just to be safe. Any rules of thumb or experience is much appreciated.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would never use a carbon arrow that showed damage. My son has a bow and a 20" draw, so I usually cut them down for him and remove the bad end/ends. He's shooting only 28 lbs so they pose no threat. I would not release a questionable carbon arrow which could fracture and drive the broken end through my bow hand!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend who owns a big archery shop. He flexes his arrows every time he shoots them. I do it, and I've heard arrows crack and thrown them out. It's a pain, but it becomes routine and may save you from arrow shrapnel. Any time I hear arrows click, I torque the nocks and roll the arrow in my hand to see if the arrow is cracked and pinch the ends. I buy 2 dozen arrows a season, and use the older on 3D shoots so I can lose them before I wear them out. Seriously, I cut them down and give them to the club kids every Spring and buy new ones.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, what I suspected and good feedback.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good info, and thanks. I will add those maintenance checks. Not much effort to avoid a splintered arrow. No kids groups here, but the pro shop in the next town may be willing to cut them down for small shooters.

forepaw

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
don't shoot damaged carbon arrows,I cut mine down for the young and up and coming archers in our club or loose them on 3-D shoots.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Carbon arrows are either perfect, broken or lost.

Cutting down the broken ones for kids is a good idea.

If you've ever seen those photos of hand wounds you'll never shoot a broken carbon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of the arrows I shoot have warnings printed right on the arrow shaft.
I always flex mine after shooting into a target, listening for cracks, etc., and examine for splinters, torn fletchings, broken nocks, etc.
Don't relish the thought of a piece of broken arrow in my hand or wrist.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,754
Posts18,514,739
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.