Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am looking for a single shot .22 semi auto. What I want is to load one in the chamber and lock the slide so it doesn't re-chamber a round (make sense?). I want the option of locking and unlocking the slide. Are there any out there that people are aware of? Thanks.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
no it don't . never heard of what you want to do . all of then shoot one round auto loads another unless only put one round in the gun

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
What I want to do is keep the slide from cycling after the round fires. Hmmmm. I had heard the H&K had this on a .45, but I'm not familiar with it, if it's even true they have that as an option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father had an old tube-fed Springfield 187 rifle that did like you say. You could pull the bolt back and shove the charging handle in to lock it back when you were clearing a jam or cleaning the breech or doing whatever else you wanted; but when the bolt was forward you could also shove it in to lock it there, so that the action wouldn't cycle when the gun fired. Then you'd pull out the charging handle and cycle it to load the next round, then push it back in.

He swore by the manual reload; said it produced more muzzle velocity out of his 24" barrel because no energy was siphoned off to cycle the action. (Also, it was old and loose enough that if you fired it semiauto it would frequently either A) jam, requiring clearing with a knife or screwdriver, or B) go full-auto for a few rounds and then jam hard, requiring a complete disassembly and reassembly.)

Years later I bought a Springfield 187 as well, but although it had the same propensity for jamming and accidental fully-automatic fire, there was no provision for operation as a bolt-action repeater the way there was on my dad's.

If you have a 22LR blowback semiauto of any kind with a hold-open recess, you can probably get a gunsmith to mill you a similar hold-closed recess for not too much money. (Mickey?)

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I was actually thinking a pin hole drilled through the slide, into the frame, where I could drop a pin or something would work, but I figured there'd be something out there somewhere already made that way. Maybe I'm the only one that would want one.

I don't know though if the pressure is likely to damage a pin or the frame/slide?

I think your father is right though, that it'd produce additional velocity.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Are you talking hand gun or rifle?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hand gun, otherwise I'd just buy a bolt-gun (rifle). I was a single shot semi-auto where the action doesn't cycle unless you want it to. I want a single shot "option".

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a locking slide, but there are some gas operated pistols. You might add a gas cut-off valve.

Bruce

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I only ask becouse it was not clear to me in the ? some people prefer semi-auto rifles!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
You're right. I wasn't that clear.

What I want is a semi-auto pistol. I will be attaching a suppressor. I do not want to hear the action cycle, and I want to lock it closed. Seems like a lot of people with suppressors would want the same thing and some pistol manufacturers would build this in if they expected the firearm to function quietest. Am I just thinking of something no one else has, or no one else has cared about because it's a non-issue?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp
Not a locking slide, but there are some gas operated pistols. You might add a gas cut-off valve.

Bruce

Gas operated 22LRs? I'd love to play with one.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High Standard used to make a pistol with a locking slide as you are asking after. I do not know if they still do. Oh and for the same reason you stated. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4xbear
High Standard used to make a pistol with a locking slide as you are asking after. I do not know if they still do. Oh and for the same reason you stated. Bear

And for silencer work for the CIA, saw a couple in SEA many moons ago.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Gas operated 22LRs? I'd love to play with one.

So would I! But I just forgot he was wanting a 22LR, not a centerfire.

Bruce

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sure as Barak stated the old 22lr semis from Springfield and Savage also. I have a savage 7a s/l/lr that does that. There is another, maybe a Whinchester don't recall, that is a single shot only but auto eject.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
check silencertalk.com

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a JC Higgins like that. I think it was later sold as the Sears Md 25. It would cycle s,l and LR. It would also lock closed.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks, I posted at silencertalk too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firmly place one Mark I thumb on the rear of the slide of a Ruger Mark II (III) pistol. Pull trigger. Slide does not move.

Sure it sounds ghetto, but it works quite well.

Scott (the unbeliever until I saw it done)

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
You're saying you can hold the slide with your thumb?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 1_deuce, 50 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,106
Posts18,522,542
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.