Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My wonderful wife bought me a set of Long Grass shooting sticks for an upcoming trip to Namibia. I've started shooting on them. One recommendation that Long Grass makes more or less works. Its to rest the rifle on the front action screw, then use the third leg to lock in your non-trigger hand. Its OK, but I still see more side-to-side movement than I would like compared to, for example, the sitting position. Any suggestions, or is this something I just need to get used to? Thanks.

BTW, these things are beautifully made. I'm pretty sure I'll take them with me, even though they are a tad heavy.

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
on the steadiness scale, I'd rate standing from sticks as being about 1/2-way in between sitting and standing offhand.

your dominant arm is still unsupported.

Personally, I don't rest the forearm directly on the sticks, rather my hand grips the forearm naturally and the hand rests on the sticks.

the longer you dither, the worse you'll shoot. practice smooth (and quick) acquisition-shooting.

when I'm sighting in my 416 or 470, I'll set up the sticks next to the bench and rest my dominant arm on my gear box (which is sitting on the benchtop)

I've heard that PHs will, on occasion, offer a back or shoulder to rest the dominant arm upon in similar fashion.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Although the LG sticks are traditional and attractive, they are less steady that comparable aluminum sticks IMO. The weight is very similar but the metals are more rigid. I have both and after a lot of practice with both to find the style that suited me, wound up taking the aluminum ones to Africa. They fit my shooting style better YMMV.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

the longer you dither, the worse you'll shoot. practice smooth (and quick) acquisition-shooting.

Some of the best advice you are gonna get..right there.

I would really emphasize the "smooth an quick" part.

You cannot do it like they do on Bubbavision...taking five minutes to aim and turn the safety...

Also I would add, practice chambering-and firing- a second shot in as big a hurry as you can safely...

The Number 1 and Number 2 Complaints of PHs seem to be taking too long on the shot, and "admiring" the shot, instead of following it up quickly with another....

BWT Huntaria...good on you for already practicing on the sticks.... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
on the steadiness scale, I'd rate standing from sticks as being about 1/2-way in between sitting and standing offhand.

your dominant arm is still unsupported.

So, its like kneeling? I can live with that and learn how to do it. That's a great observation.

Personally, I don't rest the forearm directly on the sticks, rather my hand grips the forearm naturally and the hand rests on the sticks.

I will practice this too.

Part of my fun is the preparation. Six months of prep for two weeks of hunting means 7 months of joy!

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe

Some of the best advice you are gonna get..right there.

I would really emphasize the "smooth an quick" part.

You cannot do it like they do on Bubbavision...taking five minutes to aim and turn the safety...

Also I would add, practice chambering-and firing- a second shot in as big a hurry as you can safely...

The Number 1 and Number 2 Complaints of PHs seem to be taking too long on the shot, and "admiring" the shot, instead of following it up quickly with another....

BWT Huntaria...good on you for already practicing on the sticks.... wink

Ingwe

Ammo is cheap. I will keep shooting until they tell me to stop! grin

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
A Frinstance for you...Kudu trophy fee is now about 1K..give or take...

How much ammo/ components can you buy with 1K???

If you don't buy, and practice enough, you run the risk of a wounded and lost...but it still costs you the 1K...

Spend it and use it up front, so that you'll have something to show for it on the flip side..

I helped arrange a trip for a guy ( who shall remain nameless) that insisted upon shooting his .300 ubermag with a Hubble scope, sighted 3" high at 200 yds...despite all advice to the contrary.
He also popped for four whole boxes of ammo..two to take with him, and two to practice with ahead of time!!! eek

Yep, you guessed it, he winged a Waterbuck, lost it, and paid a $1600 trophy fee....

Theres a million stories like that...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Amen. I ain't afraid to shoot, or have my shooting critqued. Its the only way you get better. I'm fairly certain I will have shot somewhere between 200 and 300 rounds of practice for EACH rifle before we go. I am lucky, though. I can step on my back porch and have a 300 yard shooting range smile

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
A Frinstance for you...Kudu trophy fee is now about 1K..give or take...

How much ammo/ components can you buy with 1K???

If you don't buy, and practice enough, you run the risk of a wounded and lost...but it still costs you the 1K...

Spend it and use it up front, so that you'll have something to show for it on the flip side..

I helped arrange a trip for a guy ( who shall remain nameless) that insisted upon shooting his .300 ubermag with a Hubble scope, sighted 3" high at 200 yds...despite all advice to the contrary.
He also popped for four whole boxes of ammo..two to take with him, and two to practice with ahead of time!!! eek

Yep, you guessed it, he winged a Waterbuck, lost it, and paid a $1600 trophy fee....

Theres a million stories like that...

Ingwe

I have a little side custom loading service. I'm absolutely amazed at the number guys that ask for ridiculous sight in's. Seems like more than a few want a 1000 yard sight-in whether they could make it or not.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Amen. I ain't afraid to shoot, or have my shooting critqued. Its the only way you get better. I'm fairly certain I will have shot somewhere between 200 and 300 rounds of practice for EACH rifle before we go. I am lucky, though. I can step on my back porch and have a 300 yard shooting range smile

Sounds just about right...before my wifes first trip to Africa she shot 400 rounds of .30-06...... all offhand...

The result was a pretty good string of bang/flops...

I ordinarily shoot about 600 rounds, again offhand , before each trip, with the rifle Ill be using...it has paid BIG dividends.... grin

Keep it up!

Can't wait to hear the stories when you get back! grin

Ingwe

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I can't wait to tell them! Thank you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I practiced off sticks and off hand as that is my normal style. I use the sling to steady off hand. I found that arm through sling grasp sling and forearm for steady and rest that hand on the sticks gave steady shots. Up close at 100 to 150 yds I reverted to past life shooting with sling and offhand/ handfull of grass as a steady. I shot 400 30-06 hornady and 100 tsx at the end and 100tsx 338 as I have probably put 2-3000 rounds through it in the last 10 years. There is nothing like familiarity to have the shot break quickly and cleanly when the sights are on target.

I look forward to stories and photos. You are doing the groundwork so your results should be good.

Buy Kevin Robertson's The Perfect Shot and read and study. Those critters are built different, and are tenatious of life.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thank you. That's good advice. Seems most also think off-hand practice is good too.

BTW, I love your tag line.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
+1 on the critters being built differently...they are ruminators...lotsa stomachs, so the vitals lie further forward than you expect...really...

Aim spot on the shoulder, instead of behind it, and you'll be golden...

Ingwe

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I've looked at Robertson's books. It does take a bit of getting used to. They certainly appear to need a different hold than our game.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I shot my last Gemsbok exactly in that crease, right behind the shoulder....too far back, got into a run-n-gun with him...but got him...

I hate to be crass...you arent in it to save the maximum amount of meat, so shoot 'em right on the shoulder...

Ingwe

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
That ain't crass, that's honesty. The last thing I want is a run and gun event. I've had the unfortunate pleasure of that several times in my hunting adventures. I really like DRT or some reasonable facsimile thereof. Besides, shooting is fun on the range. One shot is all I really care about in the field.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It is common knowledge among the Safari Companies that I book for not to allow me shooting sticks, as I shoot much better off hand..I cannot explain this but if your wanting to practice you tracking skills, let me shoot an animal for you off the sticks, your guarenteed a wounded animal...

Off hand I kill'em, with a rest on a rock or tree I kill'em, but sticks are my nemosis, I cannot explain it.

They work very well for most folks and yes, I have had all the advise on how to use them many times over, it just doesn't work for me! smile

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I took a child's forearm shield that is used for bow hunting and cut the velcro straps to fit my gun. Did this to protect the stock from the sticks. The padding proved to really steady the gun in the sticks. I used my free hand to hold the gun on the sticks.
I also practiced free hand with my 22. I shot ~ 1000 rounds this way. Its cheap and really tunes the eye to trigger finger. Practice, practice, and practice some more.....

rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Amen to the .22rf for learning how to shoot RIGHT NOW. It is cheap. I have an Anschutz that I've used for that and will bring it out again. Its weird. Its so accurate, that its so boring to shoot, I don't shoot it as often as I should. Your advice is sound and I should bring it out again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.