Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Was fortunate enough to take a good size 6x6 on public land a few years back. Got home from the hunt and found out I didn't have enough space for a traditional mount. Ended up doing this, and am satisfied. The antlers are 51" wide and 44" high and stick out about 32" from the wall. Never scored it. Doesn't matter to me, biggest doggone thing I've ever shot for sure. I wasn't an experienced elk hunter and didn't truly understand how much more room a set of elk antlers occupy, compared to typical deer antlers. A full traditional mount was out of the question, once I got home and took a look at the available space.

[Linked Image]

Economical, and space-saving, but it doesn't have the impact of a full head/shoulder mount. Relatively easy to find a place for the antlers, right above the fireplace! smile

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beetle cleaned and coppered.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My largest bull to date and my only caribou hanging in a buddy's hunting lodge because I wasn't as smart as you to ask questiosn like this first! grin

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

totally unhappy with the one on the right, was supposed to be a sneek mount he used a cows hid (look at the color and the lack of beard) and look how he put the rack straight up. Hard to believe the same guy did the excellent job on the buck. I aim to have the elk redone some time.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hey Broncolope,
Who was the taxidermist? Derrick Rich in Woodland Park did my mount. He is moving back to Texas. However he is making a drop off at a friends place and will pick the mounts up and take them to Texas. He said that he comes back to Colorado Several times a year. He does excellent work. Do you know of any other local taxidermist that does great work?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first one was by timberline which was the most recommended in the area, but they have gotten big so the guys doing the work are different, they did a pretty good job. The second was someone in his garage a friend recommended. I am still looking for someone for the next one. I might try someone up by westcliffe or salida. Have to research it, and have to shoot something worthy of it - lol

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're willing to drive a little ways, there's a guy near Casper, WY who's done a couple of mine and done an outstanding job. Better than the job he does he's also quite reasonable. His name is Mike Herrick, Antler Taxidermy.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm pretty sure this is how elk mount

[Linked Image]

Sorry, couldn't resist

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Older thread, but bump. Looking for some more elk mount ideas.
Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This one was done in 1978 when they were still stuffing the capes with old socks and sawdust. It is an extremely large bull but looks like he is part duck or something. I shot a 6X6 this fall and will redo that set of horns with the new cape and more natural looking shoulder mount.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one has a natural looking offset to his neck, and looks nice on the wall. I guess the elk mounts with the bull bugling over his shoulder fit into smaller rooms, but I would sell my house first and put in a vaulted ceiling...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is my 2006 Colorado bull. Full sneak.

[Linked Image]

And a side few of him and my brothers bull.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another Euro:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outside of another bighorn or a first mountain goat, euro is the only way I plan to fly. Some of those mounts look really nice, just take to much coin and room for me to justify.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got my two best bulls done Euro...JMHO..but I think they are the coolest Euro ever...looks really good with southwestern decor for some reason....
Sorry, no pics..but mine are surrounded by " White trash Chic" anyway grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't have any of mine 'done'. I do 'em my self. I don't have beetles for cleaning, and am just too cheap to pay anyone else to do something I can do myself. That said, I've figgered out that boiling is a messy, stinky job. And being not only cheap, I am also a tad lazy. I've discovered you can leave the skull lay out until the stink is gone, and whatever meat/brains is good and dry, then just slather a little construction adhesive/subfloor glue on it and cover the whole shebang with leather. Then all ya gotta do is screw it to a plaque. Or not.......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As ol' Chef Tell would say, "So beddy, beddy seem-pole. So beddy, beddy ee-cee".......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics guys!!! I like that full sneak pic elkkill2006

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ingwe, personally I just don't like taxidermy. It's a dead animal and no amount of morgue work will make it otherwise.

A Euro mount, OTOH, is "honest"... it is what it is and there is, to my eyes, more beauty in all that elegant bone. But I was trained in fine art and have an artists bent, so that's where my mind and eyes go.

Just some aesthetic/philosophical observations from the cheap seats and obviously every one's preference is different. No right or wrong...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
here's one of mine

Attached Images
tz elk4IMG_1735B.JPG (58.59 KB, 2381 downloads)
Mine from a few years ago, (not me in pic)
tzelk6IMG_1737B.JPG (63.38 KB, 932 downloads)
Last edited by tangozulu; 01/03/10.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Ingwe, personally I just don't like taxidermy. It's a dead animal and no amount of morgue work will make it otherwise.

A Euro mount, OTOH, is "honest"... it is what it is and there is, to my eyes, more beauty in all that elegant bone. But I was trained in fine art and have an artists bent, so that's where my mind and eyes go.

Just some aesthetic/philosophical observations from the cheap seats and obviously every one's preference is different. No right or wrong...

Brad, have you ever seen a Euro sheep mount that "works" ???

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Brad

Brad...I like both, though as I got older I leaned more and more towards euro...for a variety of reasons...
Ive had a little, pretty informal , art training myself...and also find something aesthetic about the "bones"...

If you like that stuff..you'd Love some African stuff...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I'll bail and let this get back on topic... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.