-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like walnut. It's light and works great as a stock wood. I can't look at plastic all day while hunting.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
My thoughts on laminated stocks. Yes they can be lighter, but at 2.25 lbs they are still heavy. A good synthetic can be as light as 1 lb. and getting to 1.75 is not hard at all.

The wood can delaminate and cause problems.

No matter how well you seal a wood stock there is always moisture trapped inside. Most wood used in gunstocks has a moisture content between 5%-15% with around 10% being average. Remove too much moisture during the drying process and the wood becomes brittle and will break easily.

Even if you could somehow completely seal the stock as barometric pressure, and temperature change the moisture trapped inside will expand and contract. Because of the thin layers glued together the laminated wood will be more stable than solid wood, but is still not perfect.

I have rifles with walnut, laminated, cheap plastic, as well as quality fiberglass stocks. They all work and have their place, but the quality synthetic stocks are probably the most stable and dependable.

Interesting rewrite on reality...
Temperature induced size changes in wood are very small and virtually unrelated to the water in the wood.
I doubt you could find a single stock at 15% MC. Wood does lots of moving around 15%.
While brittle wood is a function of drying it is more related to the speed of drying than the actual MC. Further, "brittle" wood is not necessarily much weaker, but rather transitions rapidly from sound to broken, but at similar pressures when talking about wood in a stock which will be 5-9%.
Changes in MC cause changes in wood size. Virtually all damage done in real world conditions is a function of swelling from taking on water.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I think jeffo has a laminated rifle,he said laminates used for hunting in western oregon's damp rainy weather were not that good.
After hunting in wet conditions for a couple of days the rifle was shot and was 8-10" off zero ,then as the stock dried out it slowly returned to zero.
Wood and laminated wood rifles have noticeably changed zero compared to composites [hs precision].

No... I didn't say that, and it's not my experience at all. My main "rain" gun is laminate (a .358 M7) and it gets soaked. I just lean it by the woodstove. No problems in about 9 seasons of consistant wet hunting.

My '06 also has a laminate stock, the Mountain Rifle version. Love that stock. It has seen a lot of water too. No problems; very stable.

Given the composition of the two materials (walnut vs. plywood) I cannot understand how the case could be made that they are the same, functionally. Laminate is very stable. SOME walnut might be, but certainly not all, or even most. That's just my uneducated opinion but it seems pretty obvious to me?

I've drilled out the butts of each of my 3 laminate stocks. It works so well to lighten them and correct the balance that I'm surprised it's not done by the factory!

I love laminate stocks and have seen nothing but stability and toughness from them. I also love fiberglass- but that's a different question. I don't know much about walnut. It rains so much here that I've just run with stainless and lammie or fiberglass or even (gasp) plastic stocks. No walnut.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a 300 WM. I special ordered it with a 40x barrel turned down naturally, a 40x trigger and stainless action. Had the whole thing Black-T coated by Birdsong. It's wicked accurate.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I think jeffo has a laminated rifle,he said laminates used for hunting in western oregon's damp rainy weather were not that good.
After hunting in wet conditions for a couple of days the rifle was shot and was 8-10" off zero ,then as the stock dried out it slowly returned to zero.
Wood and laminated wood rifles have noticeably changed zero compared to composites [hs precision].

No... I didn't say that, and it's not my experience at all. My main "rain" gun is laminate (a .358 M7) and it gets soaked. I just lean it by the woodstove. No problems in about 9 seasons of consistant wet hunting.

My '06 also has a laminate stock, the Mountain Rifle version. Love that stock. It has seen a lot of water too. No problems; very stable.

Given the composition of the two materials (walnut vs. plywood) I cannot understand how the case could be made that they are the same, functionally. Laminate is very stable. SOME walnut might be, but certainly not all, or even most. That's just my uneducated opinion but it seems pretty obvious to me?

I've drilled out the butts of each of my 3 laminate stocks. It works so well to lighten them and correct the balance that I'm surprised it's not done by the factory!

I love laminate stocks and have seen nothing but stability and toughness from them. I also love fiberglass- but that's a different question. I don't know much about walnut. It rains so much here that I've just run with stainless and lammie or fiberglass or even (gasp) plastic stocks. No walnut.

--------------------------------------------------------------
JeffO ,

I guess i misread or confused an old thread ? but i thought you had spoke of a laminated stock that had changed POI due to rain/snow conditions .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ol' Mike, I think you are remembering a story I might have told about an experience my buddy Tom had. He aimed behind the shoulder of a raghorn elk at 75 yards, shot, and the animal dropped instantly... well, you would too, if someone just shot you in the neck! grin

Turns out the stock had warped in the wet conditions, and moved the POI by something like 14". He kept shooting it over a long period without re-zeroing and as the rifle dried the POI gradually moved back to where it was supposed to be.

But that was with a WALNUT stock.

I've never seen a laminate stock budge one bit, but I've only hunted three of them. For a laminate stock to warp would take,... I don't know what! Hard to see how a block of epoxy impregnated plywood could warp, but I'm sure it's possible somehow. I haven't seen it though.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Big 10-4 --actually i just love to provide disinformation -especially about you !laf

I guess i'm back liking laminated stocks ,walnut is great too --for furniture .
And yes a good neck shot would drop me in my tracks -providing a tsx bullet was used.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I like walnut. It's light and works great as a stock wood. I can't look at plastic all day while hunting.

http://www.realtree.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75679

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow!

Who makes that badboy???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swampman does!

Looks like he was funning us all this time about plastic stocks.

That big kidder..

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is great.

Too funny!

Maybe I should camo the Horse Gun with some of that scentlok paint?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That kid must have just seen the stock!

Speaking of laminate, I would love to get one of those Ruger or Tikka 204's. I like the solid feel of the laminate stocks.
They are heavy though, think the sporters go about 8lbs nekkid?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Juat say no to Plywood..

There's better living through chemicals.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gotta go with Johnny on this one...it'll take about a pound off a Tikka...

.204 instead of .223..???

Dude....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I want a lam 204 coyotepronghorn rifle.

Badass bros!

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/03/10.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are dey makin' any good boolits for a goat in that calibre yet??

Ingwe

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just wondering the exact same thing.

Gonna look right now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Midway didn't show anything goat worthy.

I bet soon enough there will be something.
Amazing velocity though, gonna have to be a tough little slug.

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/03/10.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats what I was thinkin....exactamundo...
grin
Ingwe

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.