Print Thread
Hop To
#3638674 01/03/10
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Is there any good area for Colorado Turkeys? I'd rather pay money to the CDOW, but if there aren't many here, then I'd maybe take a trip tp NE or KS.

TIA

"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon"- Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck I've seen turkeys from the Kansas border up to 9000 feet elevation. Lot of birds down in the Trinidad area on state ground. Start applying and get 'er done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw a ton of 'em SW of Pagosa Springs this fall.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There are lots of birds here, but nowhere near the number I've seen in NE or SD. It is rapidly improving, here. I had turkeys all over me during a late elk season up in Middle Park.

Why not hunt all three? That's what I'm doing this year.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I was looking a KS, they have a cheaper tag. I did find out that they were just starting to get their numbers back up, or maybe just introduced them or something. I saw a ton of them when I was up in NE for deer in November, but I wanted to try and hunt here. I just have NO idea where to find them. My Dad's place (Aspen Park area) used to have a few of them running around years ago, but I don't think he's seen them in 5 years or so.

Now that you say that, me and a buddy were driving through Pagosa springs a few years back, and did see a few Turkeys.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I saw turkeys every day I went out hunting other game, except for a couple and about everywhere in the state. I saw more turkeys than grouse. I think we need to up the turkey limit and tags for grouse.

Steve

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you really want to kill a turkey, I highly recommend Kansas. I have hunted there for the past 5 years, and scored one or two birds a season.

I hunt in NW Kansas, and there is very little hunting pressure. I have seen some smoker toms on public, walk-in properties, nobody hunting them.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Steven CO- So you were hunting on the western slope I assume? Around GJ?

Bighorn- I watched a show on the Pursuit channel, it was a Turkey hunting show. They were hunting the walk-in properties, but I don't know where in the state.

At least I know they're close to us laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll have to check out MW Kansas. I think their tags are pretty cheap, too. Now I'm up to Nebraska, Kansas, New Mexico, Wyoming, and South Dakota. I'll be busy this spring.

Want to join up, Live?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
There are some in the Tarryalls. Near Goose Creek CG ,near where two counties come togetrher. East is hard to get permission to hunt them,Ramah residents feed them so they are in town
The Republican river area is now open to hunting from Bonny to the Kansas line.
Most of the turkeys are down south in the Trinidad area,oak brush counrty.
The main problem with turkey hunting in CO is the small number vs number of hunters. It's pretty hard to call when you have 5 other hunters around you doing the same thing.Then the idiots try to stalk them ,which just might be you calling.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Any luck finding a place to go get turkeys? I'm in the exact same boat.

Heard about some NM turkeys too, but no experience. Let me know if you find somewhere to go and if you need an extra shooter laugh

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,411
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.