Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i may be mistaken, but wasn't tom horm also a "hired gun" for a wealthy rancher as well as a bounty hunter during his adventurous career? and wasn't he credited with killing several people, some of which were shot in the back? or perhaps i'm thinking of another western "legend". anyone know the "facts" re: tom horn?

That's the gist of it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez! Was that movie supposed to be a historically precise rendering of fact or a source of entertainment?

The clock struck 12 for Julius Caesar, and no one threw Shakespeare's works into the garbage.

1Minute
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I don't know if it was historically accurate but watching Laura Croft with the port arms drill in Tomb Raider was... entertaining.

I have no idea about historical accuracy, but it was indeed edifying.

laugh

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Tom Horn was the real deal as far as a manhunter.
Read "Life of Tom Horn by himself"
"Blood on the Moon" By Chip Carlson
"Joe Lefors I slickered Tom Horn" by Carlson
His 30WCF 94 Button magazine rifle is on display in Cheyene, another gentleman is working on proving another 94 in the Fort Collins area was part of the same shipment and also is tied to Horn.
The museum in Buffalo Wy has a Marlin 93 30/30 connected to Horn.
Google "Tom Horns Rifle" and there are several web sights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ColeYounger - "The Unforgiven is the title of a 1960 movie starring Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn and Audie Murphy. It has nothing in common with the 1992 Clint Eastwood movie Unforgiven, other than they are both westerns. The latter is not a remake of the former. Completely different stories and completely unrelated. The 1960 movie which garnered few awards, to the best of my knowledge, is far superior to the 1992 movie which did win a lot of them."

I agree.

I also think that Audie Murphy's performance in "The Unforgiven" was the finest performance of his career.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude
1st to TRH, it's the continuity gal who is responsible for making sure the scrips are accurate and follow continuity

Sometimes even the best continuity girl (or guy) can not keep it straight, when the director, actors, and even the producer's favorite squeeze-at-the-moment, get involved in changing the script every day.

(BTW, before "political correctness" laws were instituted in "the Biz," they were known as "script girls.")

I've seen shooting scripts that had so many revised pages it's lucky they ever finished shooting the picture, much less coming up with a flick that is somewhat watchable and makes any sense. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dobetown
Tom Horn was the real deal as far as a manhunter.
Read "Life of Tom Horn by himself"
"Blood on the Moon" By Chip Carlson
"Joe Lefors I slickered Tom Horn" by Carlson
His 30WCF 94 Button magazine rifle is on display in Cheyene, another gentleman is working on proving another 94 in the Fort Collins area was part of the same shipment and also is tied to Horn.
The museum in Buffalo Wy has a Marlin 93 30/30 connected to Horn.
Google "Tom Horns Rifle" and there are several web sights.

Steve McQueen's performance in the title role in "Tom Horn" was one of the more realistic portrayals of a flawed western "hero" ever done. Great movie, although they got the caliber of his rifle wrong. And the young Candace Bergen skinny-dippin' in a stock tank wasn't bad, either.

Sheriff: "Any last words?"

McQueen: "I never saw such a bunch of pasty-faced sheriffs in my life."

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by derby_dude
1st to TRH, it's the continuity gal who is responsible for making sure the scrips are accurate and follow continuity

Sometimes even the best continuity girl (or guy) can not keep it straight, when the director, actors, and even the producer's favorite squeeze-at-the-moment, get involved in changing the script every day.

(BTW, before "political correctness" laws were instituted in "the Biz," they were known as "script girls.")

I've seen shooting scripts that had so many revised pages it's lucky they ever finished shooting the picture, much less coming up with a flick that is somewhat watchable and makes any sense. wink

L.W.

I used to be a film editor I understand that one.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I just checked I think it was Linda Evans

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm watching too, and there's the scene in the jail with the Colt revolver being offered to the Duck of Death. He refuses to take it, apparently because he's afraid it might not be loaded. But it's handed to him close enough to front-forward that he could have seen the rounds in the cylinders.

Though that isn't as big as mistake as the .30-30's....

He just did not want top get shot, why else would Bill offer him a pistol?

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
I watch movies for ENTERTAINMENT..who gives a schitt if they are historically accurate? If your life is so dull, that you need to pick movies apart, you obviously need a new one!

I'll bet you wouldn't go to a western movie if you knew John Wayne was wearing pajamas instead of chaps...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a western with Gene Autry that is an obvious mistake.

Everybody knows that television in the background wasn't invented until 1889.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did a lot of that with Roy Rogers too.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Steve McQueen's performance in the title role in "Tom Horn" was one of the more realistic portrayals of a flawed western "hero" ever done. Great movie, although they got the caliber of his rifle wrong. And the young Candace Bergen skinny-dippin' in a stock tank wasn't bad, either.

That was not Candice Bergen in the movie..

It was Linda Evans...

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That 30/30 thing in Unforgiven has bothered me every one of the several times I've seen it,starting in the theater when it first came out.
Did some googling on Tom Horn and the movie.They're saying McQueen "thoroughly reseached" it and carried an 1873 in 45/60.Guess that's just Hollywood gack.
I was under the impression that Horn favored the 38/55 all these years.....guess I was mistaken.
McQueen was not diagnosed with cancer until after the filming of Tom Horn was completed.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
To be an award winning film The "Unforgiven" had some sloppy editing. I remember them showing the same shot at least twice of Eastwood and his friend riding through a wheatfield on what was to be a cross country trip. Not huge, but this film was supposed to be a masterpiece.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DERBY DUDE - "I used to be a film editor I understand that one."

A good film editor has saved many more than one really discombobolated flick before. wink

L.W.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some points...

Unless I'm mistaken, there was also an 1886 Winchester in the film although it supposedly took place in 1878.

Leanwolf, I agree that Murphy was at the height of his prowess as an actor in The Unforgiven.

Hawkeye, you really should check The Unforgiven out. It was written by Alan LeMay, who also wrote The Searchers. While The Searchers is the better movie, The Unforgiven is excellent as well and features a whole cast of old Hollywood. Charles Bickford, Doug McClure, and a host of others. Eastwood's movie IMO, is only great due to the timeframe in which it was made. Hollywood produced many movies that were better during the heyday of westerns in the 50's.

As far as English Bob goes. Little Bill was just illustrating the fact that English Bob was a sure-thing-killer and wasn't the type to face up to a man in an equal setting. He had just told the story of English Bob shooting down the man who was hitting his favorite prostitute and how Bob killed him in cold blood after the guy lost his hand when his Walker Colt blew up in it. To hammer home the point, he offers Bob the opportunity to grab the gun and kill him, if it is loaded. The Duck doesn't grab for it because he only wants a sure thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

As far as English Bob goes. Little Bill was just illustrating the fact that English Bob was a sure-thing-killer and wasn't the type to face up to a man in an equal setting. He had just told the story of English Bob shooting down the man who was hitting his favorite prostitute and how Bob killed him in cold blood after the guy lost his hand when his Walker Colt blew up in it. To hammer home the point, he offers Bob the opportunity to grab the gun and kill him, if it is loaded. The Duck doesn't grab for it because he only wants a sure thing.

I think ya pegged it.
At that point the writer drops the duck like a hot rock and takes up with Bill.

The conversation in the scene where Bill had the duck loaded up in the stagecoach and sending him out of town cracks me up. The duck yelling at everyone through swollen lips and with that Brit accent gets me every time. He mad as hell and nothing he can do about it, just funny chit.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The more historically accurate, the more entertaining. [/quote]

Agreed.

By the way, Gilligan did get off the island.

There are many copies.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.