Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i was spanked even punched i earned it maybe not all of it but i got away with others i can't complain.A person that don't spank their kids at early ages normally don't have any control later

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by BCBrian
As a teacher who's now taught 30 years I always made it a point when meeting the parents of the real "winners" type of kid (you know, the parent's of kid after kid - of the type - that every parent or teacher would envy)

...in my 27 years as a cop, these are the kids that at thirty, or forty, decide to experiment with cocaine or meth, molest children and commit suicide.

I don't know what is so different about where you live - but around here, I regularly run into the many of the now grown kids that I taught way back when.

Guess what?

The ones often labelled as "winners" back then, for the most part, are still the people, that society in general, would tend to consider the "winners" now.

The ones often referred to as "loosers" back then, are predominantly - still the people most of society would consider to be the "loosers" now.

I think it's safer and more prudent course of action for a parent to try and raise children, who act in such a manner, that upon most people meeting them, would be admired - rather than what you seem to be suggesting.

I am absolutely not suggesting that parents should raise there children to be any less than the best. It is my observation that kids, especially boys, that have no "spirit" as youths tend to sew their wild oats as adults. Maybe it is your suggestion that the "winner" kids don't need discipline to become "winner" adults that I find laughable. Of course, some of these "winner" kids just continue a ho-hum adult life of coloring inside the lines.

When I said "winner" type of kid - I also made clear I was referring to kids where one after the other (from one family) were the type of kid that "everyone would envy". Many (most?) of them are spirited, sometimes even challenging kids - but the fact remains some families just seem to have kid, after kid, after kid, that are all the same kind of kid - that kind of kid - that everyone would hope to have.

I NEVER suggested that these (winner) type of kids didn't need discipline to become that type of (winner) adults.

In fact - the point I was trying to make - was the opposite.

Based on my questioning the parents of the finest, nicest, greatest type of kids that I've ever had the pleasure of teaching - I noticed that the parents of one of those type of kids - often had a whole family of them. I assumed that they were probably doing something right - in the way they were raising their children.

Most of the children (actually "young adults" - as I teach in a high-school) that were the type everyone admired, most of the ones that I've known - were spanked - and needed to be spanked - as children. The spanking (in part) have played a small role, among many other complex reasons that caused such students to turn out, the way that did. I firmly believe that being a poor parent, is a much much easier role for a parent - than being a good one.

It's far easier to ignore bad behaviours - than it is to effectively deal with them.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes I got spanked. If a teacher spanked me they sent a note home and I got it again. So much for no double jeopardy. What did I think? Don't go for seconds!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Last thing the professor said when I was taking Ed Psychology was "There isn't the kid born that doesn't need to be accross his dads knee occasionally."
From what I have seen he is definatly right.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
BCBrian... good thread, and good comments.

I was spanked as a young kid (and one last time when I was 16 and "dared" my Mom to whack me with her wooden spoon, thinking I could save face in front of my younger siblings... needless to say I did not win that confrontation...). I was spanked when I deserved it, mostly, although a couple of injustices did occur here and there.

When my kids were small, they got spanked a bit, but only for deliberate transgressions. We'd talk the situation over, they'd admit they knew what they were doing was bad when they did it, and then they'd get a couple taps on the bottom. Tears would follow, of course, then hugs and reconciliation. Very sound training, really.

None of my kids got a spanking after age 4 or 5. However, on one occasion my 14-year-old son had really crossed the line, and I told him he was either going to have to take a real spanking, or allow his face to be smeared with peanut butter and allow the dogs to lick it off. He chose the peanut-butter, and to this day (he turns 29 next week) says that the peanut-butter punishment was the thing that made him turn away from the bad choices he'd been making. All I can remember now is the rest of the family laughing our butts off as the dogs swarmed him on the kitchen floor.

Several peanut-butter warnings were issued to him and his sisters thereafter, but NONE was ever required. Just goes to show that public punishment has a positive effect on the behavior of the general population.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I think it's beneficial during the first few years of marriage also. Had a pard that had to go out of town for 5 weeks and he asked me to go to his house once a week and smack his wife for him....

Then you spanked yourself........

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The comments about
"winners"
is intersting and one I've often pondered. Some families seem to generate a whole pack of well disciplined, high achieving, workaholics. Others paint both ends of the spectrum. I really wish I knew the secret to the former.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I firmly believe that being a poor parent, is a much much easier role for a parent - than being a good one.

It's far easier to ignore bad behaviours - than it is to effectively deal with them.

I could not agree more. It is my opinion however, that "parenting skills" receive to much credit for the charactor of children, good or bad, when genetics plays a huge part.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As a teacher who's now taught 30 years I always made it a point when meeting the parents of the real "winners" type of kid (you know, the parent's of kid after kid - of the type - that every parent or teacher would envy) to ask them about their own child-rearing practices. I always questioned them about their own corporal punishment ideas. Simply put one of my questions was "Do you believe in spanking?" The huge majority of parents who raised more than one great child would answer - after some thought - words to the effect "Well, when they were really young - we did." Often followed up with words to the effect "That was a long time ago though."

That has paralleled my own parenting. Between about 2 and 5 was when almost all of my children's "spanks" occurred. Having said that - my spanks were probably only used a few times a year - per kid. After 6 or so - I think there are better tools. In my case, I define a judicious "spank" as a single or few quick bare-handed swats to the butt. Enough to get tears - nothing more. Invariably, my own children's swats - were followed by what I called a "de-briefing" (an earnest discussion) and a hug and a kiss after the tears had quit falling. This method worked great for me. It was a useful tool in this parent's tool-box. It set a tone - when it was needed.

If I had to raise my kids over again - I'd do it the same way. And so far,I am exceedingly proud of how my own kids are turning out.

In this day and age, I was surprised to read the following article. What do you all think about spanking?

Smacking leads to happier kids, according to a new US study. Ironically, it took this long to find enough people who hadn�t been smacked to do the study. Now, a US study says that smacking into adolescence actually helps.
Most parents resent the �no smacking� edicts from a supposedly too-PC professional lobby. The fact that there are obvious limits to smacking and physical discipline, at least for sane parents, never seems to get mentioned. The fact that the �no smacking� approach has done nothing to stem child bashings by the lunatic fringe hasn�t had a lot of traction, either.
The no-smack concept, ironically, came from an anti-violence perspective, but was effectively translated into a no-discipline motif by some flat footed over the top PC publicity a few decades back which managed to miss its own point very effectively.
The original idea of the no-smack regime was to reduce the sort of semi-psycho, overdone approach, which was actually dangerous. A smack on the bottom is harmless. A smack on the head can do real damage, particularly to a young child.
The oppressive hyper discipline of the past was no joke, as many will remember. Bruised and sore kids were no myth, and over-disciplined kids were famous for lying their heads off. Those who perceived their parents as actually hostile were definitely not considered to be well served by that sort of treatment. All they learned was to avoid discipline, and later, self-discipline. Most people did stop well short of that sort of actual abuse, and stuck to the traditional �don�t do that� form of smack, tapering off as the kids grew up.
The no-smack approach was generally distrusted, and resented as an intrusion when it began. The overall reaction was a groan of disbelief. It�s also a matter of opinion whether it�s really taken hold. �Reason with the child� is a mixed blessing, after the event, and some parents believe that a no-risk option for getting away with murder isn�t the right message to send to the average two year old.
Most people have seen the screaming, undisciplined brat who�s obviously not under any sort of control. That may not be typical of the no-smack ethos, and certainly not the intent, but they really are out of control. They�re a risk to themselves, and likely to do staggeringly stupid things, simply because they can.
The parents receive the flak. The stony disapproval of an entire mall is a thing to see, particularly from other parents, who can make their point without saying a word. That hasn�t done a lot to boost the image of the no-smack idea.
Nor has the level of actual violence been affected. The pitiful tales of kids who�ve been killed regularly haunt the news. One woman actually put her kid in an oven, and turned it on. It�s doubtful that the sage philosophical arguments actually penetrate situations like that. It�s unrealistic to assume they do, and the no-smack lobby has yet to address that issue.
Prof. Marjorie Gunnoe, of Calvin University, Grand Rapids, Michigan, did a study of 2600 people, including about 25% who�d never received physical chastisement. The press coverage of this is sparse, and it looks like there�s a paper in the works, which has reduced the output in the releases, but Prof. Gunnoe has stated that the data from her study simply doesn�t support the no-smack concept.
Her research states that children smacked up to the age of six were likely to do better, in fact, at school, and more likely to do volunteer work, want go to university, and other signs of higher participatory involvements.
Gunnoe isn�t saying smacking is an answer. She considers it a �dangerous tool�, which may indicate she started her research with more than a few reservations of her own. She also said that it�s not appropriate for all situations.
The demographics of this issue are pretty clear. The smacked generations don�t buy the no-smack approach. They generally seem to think it reduces parental options, and doesn�t do a lot for discipline. The no-smack side equates smacking with violence against children, and hasn�t made much distinction between a smack on the bottom and a funeral.
Whatever the outcome, there's another issue: Child psychology might want to look at providing clearer arguments for its cases. As a communications exercise, no-smack has been a classic case of the single message getting amplified into a sort of jihad against parental discipline. The arguments have been polarized, not productive. This has been a situation where unqualified, over simplified statements have been the default version of ideas for public consumption, and that�s helped create an almost purely reactive environment for the concept. Some things should never be dumbed down, and raising kids is definitely the best place to start.

Heck yea, The teachers still spanked when I was in first to third grade, then they stopped, so my Dad went to school when he heard the teachers wernt allowed to any more told the teacher that if I needed one and she could n't for anmy reason to let him know and he would take off work if needed and come down to administer it himself, and if that wasn't Ok to let him know and he would make sure I got it when he got home. I got lots of them at school and at home. After I grew up and got into Law Enforcement I got all sorts of education on Child Abuse, I still feel that to not administer corporal punishment on a child is just opening the door to Adult Abuse. I had to deal with a lot of unruly kids you got to be able to tell who had got a butt warming and who had not, usually the ones who got spanked as preadolesents I did not have much contact with and if I did it was very minor stuff, you could tell them from the others, they were polite and knew they had screwed the pooch, the others were just stupid loud mouthed punks who baddly needed an ass whoopin.And usually ended up doing hard time and getting worse, and worse. Commiting major crimes like Rape, Robbery, and Murder

Last edited by blinddog1; 01/04/10.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hell, I was 7 years old before I realized my name wasn't 'Take out the garbage'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I spent most of my life up to about the age of 15 with the pattern of the plastic soles of my mothers slippers embosed on my legs or arms....It got to the stage where she couldn't hit me physically hard enough as I would still be laughing...

I never laughed at my father though, as that would release some serious "whoop-ass"...

On the whole, I probably deserved most of it, and what I didn't deserve made up for the stuff I got away with...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spanked? Nah.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Spanked? You bet, Dad knew how to get to the "seat" of the problem .Apparently I was a slower learner than the other 4 kids. Mom warmed up the paddle pleanty too.
I earned each one, and got less than I deserved. It only took one from the principal for things to change at school though.

My boys only needed a hard look, are they my sons?

An old buddy said his dad spanked him regularly,his dad said,
"I don't know what they did, but they do."

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I got whipped plenty! Sometimes I deserved it, sometimes I didn't but my brothers said I did so I got it anyway. I don't hold it against my dad at all, I know he was doing what he thought best, as he tried to wait till he wasn't angry before administering said whipping. However, once he decided it was time, he knew how to throw down. His weapon of choice was the old v-belt or fan belt. When I was younger he used a thick leather belt, then a nice long rubber hose(that bastard hurt so bad me and my brothers confiscated it and made sure it was never found), but in later years the fan belt was king.
I don't know if it made me a better person in the long run,it probably helped a bit, but I'll tell you what, we were danged well behaved kids! My parents were both raised Mennonite(not Amish), and Mennonite's are great believers in the power of spanking to cure just about anything. I know that my Dad was much more lenient than other german mennonite families I knew, and also much stricter than others, especially those godless heathens the "english".
When I started going to school I was amazed at the "english" kids(that's what we called all non germans). They got grounded! I'd never heard of such a thing, and thought it was stupid. Whose afraid of a grounding I figured? Of course, if these kids dads had whipped them teh way I got whipped, they'd of called Childrens Aid. I never even knew such a thing existed, and if I had I'd never have called it. Imagine how hard I'd of got whipped after calling Childrens Aid!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I was a kid in the '40s, my mom and dad had three boys and the next door neighbors also had three boys about the same ages. Their dad had, I kid you not, a genuine leather cat-nine-tails that he used on them. That sucker had to have hurt. My dad used a belt and that was bad enough.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst was taking a smack your Brother earned. Sometimes Mom didn't wait to sort the details. grin

I can count on one hand all the times I had to spank my 4 kids. Our kids are well behaved and we routinely get compliments from strangers when we're out and about.

I just love it when a mom calls 911 and complains she can't get her worthless turd kid out of bed for school.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, from the parents and usually with dad's leather belt up until about age 14.
Also:
Our school district paddled kids up through middle school grade 8.
High school they treated you more adult and there was after school detention instead.
I'm talking the 1970's.

Also:
In those days Gideans International also presented us with our own King James Bible at our public school. 1975.

Last edited by Two503000; 01/04/10.

Phil
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was spanked, whipped with my Dad's leather strop, and had my mouth stuffed with every brand of soap you could think of (Ivory is not bad, Irish Spring will make you vomit). I was also sent outside many a time to cut off a switch which was used to whip my butt. I can still see my Uncle Angelo whipping me across the lawn or my Uncle Dom beating me with the rake. They were rough. I would never hit a kid the way I got beat on. No holding a bar of soap in the mouth for an hour either. Nothing more than an open hand, and never in the face. I'd take stuff away from a kid today rather than strike them.

Coincidentally, I got big enough to confront my Uncles and I did. I never confronted my Mom. She worked hard and I knew it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know how many times I got the choice by the school principal, "Would you prefer a swatting or detention?"

I always took the swats, I'll tell you what, if I got in detention, that meant usually, hopefully, my mom and not my dad, had too drive 45 miles of dirt road to town to get me an hour after school, after the buses left, and then I had listen to her all the way home where I would end up getting more, and stiffer, swats than the principal ever dished out from my dad.

The only one of those school whacks that ever got through I think, was one time when about four of us boys were standing in line to get a swat. I went first, and after the application of the punishment to my bottom side, I asked the principal smirkingly, to see if my friends would laugh, "You wanna try that again, I think you might of almost missed or something"! I think the second one raised blisters and made my eyes water, but I was famous for a while. grin

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I firmly believe that being a poor parent, is a much much easier role for a parent - than being a good one.

I could not agree more. It is my opinion however, that "parenting skills" receive to much credit for the charactor of children, good or bad, when genetics plays a huge part.

I sure hope you're right Pat. My kids couldn't ask for better genes... grin

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,703
Posts18,494,295
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.