Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I'm attempting to reload some 308 Win. When I run the casings up into the sizing die it dents the casing either on or just below the shoulder.I've adjusted the die according to the instructions and lubricated the casings.I just finished 100 rounds of 300 Savage with no trouble so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong now.Any suggestions?

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are using too much lubricant on the cases. You will need to put less lube on the case, and clean out the die body. Dents will be gone.

I typically only lube the body of the case, not the neck or shoulder.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Two things: You're probably using too much lube (causing the dents) and if the directions you followed were the generic "raise the ram and screw the die in to touch the shellholder, then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 turn more and lock it down" you're probably sizing your brass more than necessary. This gives excessive headspace and exacerbates the denting from too much lube.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back off the lube a little. Too much = dents. Might also have the die adjusted tight also.

Last edited by nathanial; 01/05/10.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I typically only lube the body of the case, not the neck or shoulder.

I lube the whole case with my fingertips. It almost looks like I'm trying to wipe something off rather than onto the case. That way I get a complete but thin layer of lube so there's no denting or sticking either.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too much lube like they say above but one quick note:

If you clean the lube out of your die with a degreaser be SURE to reoil your die lightly before you size another case. You can stick even a well lubed case in a die that has been thoroughly degreased. You will notice that the first few after cleaning have a much higher sizing effort.

I usually just wipe the excess out of the die with a folded up, snug fitting paper towel. This solves the problem of having to relube the inside of the die...................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by timat46
I'm attempting to reload some 308 Win. When I run the casings up into the sizing die it dents the casing either on or just below the shoulder.I've adjusted the die according to the instructions and lubricated the casings.I just finished 100 rounds of 300 Savage with no trouble so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong now.Any suggestions?

Too much lube...

Don't lube the shoulder--just the neck and body.

Imperial Sizing Die Wax is my fav, a lot of guys talk highly of the spray stuff.

Trying to use the other die lubes such as the RCBS lube can be a pain.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dents are usually from too much lube, but not always.I was having trouble with dents on my .338 Edge cases. No amount of die cleaning, or sparing use of lube stopped the dents which were on the body, near the shoulder. I was using Imperial sizing wax too.
I got ahold of the tech line guy at Redding, and explained that I believed that the die was sizing the shoulder end of the body too much. In a rare diplomatic moment I threw in that it could be an over sized chamber just as easy as a tight die. After getting a couple of measurements of fired and sized cases he agreed and requested I send the die back with 5 fired cases. The new die is a true pleasure to work with, being cut for one specific chamber and one brand of brass.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
thanks to all of you,I'll take another run at it tomarrow
Tim

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

switch to imperial sizing wax, it's harder to put too much on.
Or better yet get some spray on dillon lube.

And take your dies apart and clean then too to remove the build up before you start resizing.

Spot

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Too much lube accumulated in the die or the die can not vent and is crushing the shoulder with air pressure. Either way, thoroughly clean all surfaces on the inside of the die, and the issue should be rectified. One only needs about a micron layer of lube on his cartridge necks and walls.

A tube of RCBS lube acquired in 1965 is still working for me with about 90% still left. I use a pad, and only lube every other cartridge. Never had any issues at all. There is never enough lube on a cartridge for me to see, but I can detect its presence by feel.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
May we assume you are still fairly new at reloading? Lube dents are common with newbies and harmless when they occur.

Most of us first think we need a lot of lube on the front end of a case because that's where most of the expansion occurs but that's not so. That's also the thinnest part, most easily resized, all it needs is a very thin coat (it does need some!).

It's really easy to not lube the lower part enough, down near the head and that's what really needs lube! Failure to lube the lower case properly WILL result cases being firmly stuck in the die and the rim will pull off trying to remove it normally.

Last edited by boomtube; 01/06/10.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Been there, done that. Got the same answers here and they were right. I now roll the cases on a lube pad, only the sides get lube and then I run a bore mop lightly lubed into the case to make resizing the neck easier and thus less case stretch and metal fatigue. Works well for me. Only when I'm resizing a case into another caliber, like 308 into 243 or 358 do I ever have an issue.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
You are correct in assuming I'm new at this and I'm thankfull for the help.I was mostly worried that I'd get one stuck in the die.The dents dont seem that bad,am I correct in assuming that I could go ahead and load the dented cases and that firing them would expand the dents back out?There seems to be significantly more resistance in sizing the 308s as opposed to the 300 Savage,but maybe its because I was using to much lube this time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I first started out, I got some magnificent dents in .30-30 cases by using too much lube. (By the way, I also found that a lube pad is a wonderful collector of dirt.) Imperial sizing wax is great stuff (applied with fingers). Given my level of skill at screwing up anything that can possibly be screwed up, I avoid taking dies apart as much as I can. I seem to remember reading something in the distant past about some dies be better at venting than others. Can anyone speak to that?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was mostly worried that I'd get one stuck in the die.

Like Boomtube mentioned be sure to get them lubed all the way down to the case head to avoid a real problem.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
One Shot.....

Half a squirt up in the die before starting, then hold 5 cases in the palm of your hand and lightly squirt/roll them around.

Don't need much....

Run 'em in the die, repeat with five more.

I don't wait for the stuff to dry either, run 'em "wet".

Tumble it off after sizing is done.

Simple.........

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Dents are usually from too much lube, but not always.I was having trouble with dents on my .338 Edge cases. No amount of die cleaning, or sparing use of lube stopped the dents which were on the body, near the shoulder. I was using Imperial sizing wax too.
I got ahold of the tech line guy at Redding, and explained that I believed that the die was sizing the shoulder end of the body too much. In a rare diplomatic moment I threw in that it could be an over sized chamber just as easy as a tight die. After getting a couple of measurements of fired and sized cases he agreed and requested I send the die back with 5 fired cases. The new die is a true pleasure to work with, being cut for one specific chamber and one brand of brass.

Out of curiousity, what did the custom die cost?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
timat46 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
made the chaanges,cleaning die,reducing lube andbacking die out one turn,and evrything is working fine.
Still wandering if I can use thr slightly dented cases though?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Slightly dented cases should be OK to use.

Since you backed out the die one turn have you checked that the brass sized that way will chamber OK? It's a good idea to do that before assembling cartridges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,226
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.