Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Squire Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Just happened on your site tonight. Interesting stuff, especially the Big Bore threads.I am wanting a .375 H&H and was looking at an Encore rifle. Looks a bit funny but what about one with the flex tech stock in .375 H&H?

Another option is converting my Ruger #1 .270 to .375 H&H. Don't know what that would cost. I have a custom gun with some super fancy California walnut that I would love to keep.I would either sell it for another gun, rebarrel, or trade.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WELCOME to 24hrcf! Hope you enjoy your time here.

For plinking and goofing off, no problem with a SS 375. For hunting the kinds of game it was designed to topple, bad idea. Use the Ruger #1 or Encore in whatever caliber strikes your fancy for local grasschompers but for a 375 go get a model 70 or similar CRF bolt action rifle.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Squire: Welcome to the CF...listen to Safariman....he knows whereof he speaks wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Squire Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Safariman and BobinNH,
With the exception of a double shotgun, I have never hunted with anything but a SS. And most of that is with a pistol. Then again I have never hunted anything that could kill me. Sounds like good advice.

Given that, there are a number of Savage 116FSS rifles in .375H&H available on Gunbroker for $600. It has controlled feed which I have read is good. Any thoughts on that? The only repeaters I have are for CAS. Or I might just use a .375 for goofing around and get a real gun should I develop the need. So many decisions.
Cheers,
Squire

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Squire,
I wouldn't advise a .375 H&H in an Encore. Don't know how much the flex stock helps to reduce recoil but I had one with the regular synthetic stock and the recoil was fairly stout. I believe this is due to the geometry of the stock and I have read where others thought the same thing.
The #1 would be a much better choice IMO if you wish to stick with a single shot. The #1 can be reloaded quite rapidly due to the falling block design. The encore must be lowered from the shoulder to reload.
I would defer to safariman on choice of action for dangerous game but that is my two cents on the two single shots you mentioned.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Encore has a lot of upward recoil. I've used one for many years as a muzzleloader and a turkey gun...I prefer bolt guns for centerfires, but that's just my preference.

I don't worry to much about recoil, but in the turkey gun config the Encore is an attention getter...I'd imagine the same would be true for the H&H. Sure is nice to carry turkey hunting though.

JCM

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have an Encore 375 H&H barrel by MGM that is very accurate. I use for Eland, Zebra etc that are bigger tougher etc, with Barnes X bullets and it is outstanding. Couldn't agree more that I would not deliberately select if as a primary buffalo rifle. Recoil is not that bad.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Here is the locatin to an interesting read on a 375 H&H Encore in action.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/breakfast.php

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Somebody please insert video of somebody puking: HERE
Encore in 375???noooooo! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Encore in 375 will not leave your kids w/o a Dad from recoil, but a CZ is a lot better choice if you plan to hunt anything that might take exception to being shot.

IC B3

S
Squire Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks everybody,
I didn't look back here for a few days thinking I would not see more responses. Sounds like a lot of good advice. I never thought the Encore was a comfortable rifle to shoot or look at. Checking out a Savage 116FSS in .375 H&H. Price is right, 3 shots and CRF. And it comes standard with rifle sights. For $600 it fits my budget. That should sound better to most of you although not super elegant. Can't afford elegant. Besides it's mostly for grass munchers in the US and goofing around.

JorgeI, I like your sig..
Cheers,
Squire

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.