Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You gotta look out for those arena cowboys......(grin)

Don, that looks like a wild ride! I'm too smart(or chicken) to ever try and ride one of those....(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I know some ranchers in S Idaho, N Nevade and E Oregon that are the real deal and some do still wear them, but they are covered in dirt and [bleep]. Around here the clean hats seem to be more of a fashion statement for wannabe wranglers.

I do wear mine on ocassion when riding because it does keep the sun and snow off your neck.

From what I can tell, the real McCoys are distinguishable by the wild rags and sometimes stormy kromers.

Don't see many honest-to-goodness cowboys around here these days.
I respect the real ones, but laugh at the wannabees.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the [bleep] i damn near shot runs cattle and lives north of uncle Dave off 13 and if yah think real hard i bet you can guess who it is Sam......to this day i cant stand the [bleep]......his son(couple years younger than me) is the only one of the family i can stand for any length of time....good kid but his dad is bout worthless....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
PM the bastid's name, you got me curious....(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on out to west Texas, and work outside all day. You'll learn to love 'em, or shrivel up like a prune, right after you blister in a manner that will cause observers to think you're a lepar.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mako25
Come on out to west Texas, and work outside all day. You'll learn to love 'em, or shrivel up like a prune, right after you blister in a manner that will cause observers to think you're a lepar.

I'll secound that...

What's "Crackin" Yo ?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Don, that looks like a wild ride! I'm too smart(or chicken) to ever try and ride one of those....(grin)

Me too Sammers...Those things are for makin' calves and burgers.... grin
Not for ridin'

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WeLLLLLLLL where do I begin.

I moved to Montana about 30 years ago. One of the first people I meet and became friends with was a real cowboy among other things. He was in rodeos, outfitted and guide and trapped. Hanging around him caused me to hang around other cow pokes. Everybody said I needed a cowboy hat. Never felt right wearing a cowboy hat with not being a cowboy. One day I'm in a cowboy trading store and low and behold they had a western derby. I have been wearing one ever sense except in the real cold or heat. All my derbies now are custom made.

They also got me into cowboy boots which I wore everyday until I hurt my back. I don't wear cowboy boots any more.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Notice the W P in our gang signs.....grin

I might regret asking this but, whats W P stand for?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You northern guys don't need them, but when you live on the Mexican border at 4,500-5,500 ft and spend your days in the sun, you need them. The sun is extremely intense in the summer and the thin atmosphere doesn't inhibit it very much. Even though most everyone who works outside wears broad-brimmed hats, most of the old ranchers and cowboys down here visit the doctor periodically to get precancerous growths burned off or cut out of their faces. One old cowboy that worked for me had to wear a surgical mask because he had lost virtually all of his nose to skin cancer.

When I took over the management of a ranch down here, I found a new "primary care" physician who advised me, "Get a big hat and wear your hair down over your ears". It was good advice--I have yet to have a precancerous growth removed (but my wife who is a strawberry blond with virtually no pigment in her skin has had several taken off).

If you wear a "cowboy hat" for effect, you have to deal with the consequences. My wife (who is an artist) had a friend from New York City down for a visit. She took her to the local bar where most of the ranch hands unwound in the evening. The guest looked at the hats, boots and other cowboy paraphernalia and said, "My God! If these guys were in New York, you would know that they were gay as hell!"

Last edited by mudhen; 01/07/10.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Me too Sammers...Those things are for makin' calves and burgers.... grin
Not for ridin'

Ingwe

ive been behind the chutes for the last 7 rodeos here taking pictures.......funny as hell listening to all the bull riders calling the wild horse racers [bleep] nuts grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rattler; 01/07/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yep,,, calves & burgers!!!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father-in-law was never dressed up unless he had a straw hat in summer or a felt hat, usually a Resistol Silver Belly, in winter. My brother-in-law is still that way. They did their work in caps and dressed in hats. Same with boots. Work boots for work and cowboy boots for dress.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned the hard way that a ball cap, while shading my eyes and face just fine, left my back and shoulders open to an unseen beating from the sun, and yes I had a shirt on. Then I learned that cowboy boots - although not snake proof - at least give you somewhat of a sense of security from those damned buzz snakes! I also learned I'm at least a step faster in cowboy boots than I am in lace-up ankle high work boots.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My dad did, but he was a cowboy...

[Linked Image]

Your Dad was a good looking Cowboy from what I can see, hat and all....

Lynn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice red!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old felt stetson prolly kept me from a serious bout of skin cancer.
The countless hours spent in the burning california sun pursuing salmon from sun up to sundown exposes you to way too much radiation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The old relic is now retired.
Can't get too excited about a new one though.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A truly enjoyable picture. That is what a cowboy looks like!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+1

Hell +100 !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Used to wear a cowboy hat flyfishing back in the day...I was such a schitty caster the brim deflected the leader from my head, and kept me from snaggin my face..most of the time grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.