Print Thread
Hop To
#366 04/20/01
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What are all you shooting and where are you from? How long is bow season and what all do you hunt with a bow? How bout a little bio also.

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BG, my tackle is pretty well described in my response to the "how many" and other threads going here.<P>I started bowhunting about twenty years ago, with a several year break. My first bow was a Darton wheelbow that set me back about 120$ with arrows, if I recall correctly.<P>I am a husband and father of 3. I live and hunt in central North Carolina. I also live on the edge of three counties, and two of these are along the lines which divdide our state into different management units with differing seasons. The result is that I can bowhunt from mid Sept. until mid November. I can take two deer per day with a 6 deer limit (two must be female). I have been fortunate and have let dozens of deer (acutally well over one hundred) walk by me over the last couple of years. That's rifle and bow hunting.<P>I am lucky to be able to hunt good, private land. Hunting is like real estate: location, location, location. I think a poor hunter in a good place will have a much better chance than a good hunter in a poor place.<P>There are many deer around here, and I have fun with them.<P>By profession I am a hazardous materials manager working for the US EPA.<P>My dream is to hunt elk with my bow, then with the rifle, in any available order! I have one rifle elk hunt under my belt.<P>Good shooting, Talus

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
BG our season starts the last week of August in the eastern slopes region(foothills to the rockies)I live just north of Calgary.(Calgary Stampede) I don't know if that means anything to you guys but it put Alberta on the world map for rodeo and what not.We can take elk,moose,mule and whitetail deer in the Calgary zone, any sex without a draw permit.We can hunt most but not all WMU's into Sept.before the early rifle seasons open,some zones are open till the end of October,then the regular season ends at the end of November.IN an earlier post I describe what I use and those animals were taken in Sept,the moose was still in velvet and the whitetail was an antlered doe,it had a set of 6 inch spikes in velvet.I had to look twice when I rolled it over to gut it and saw there was some vital equipment missing.My first thought was this little buck sure has some big tits until I realized what it was.I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had a simalar experience. MAny years ago my dad shot a 5x5 cow elk. Originally I am from Denver but have spent most of my life in Alberta and British Columbia but am an American first and always. I'm married and have 2 daughters,my wife and oldest both shoot bows,wife doesn't hunt,daughter sht her first whitetail last year,proudest day of my life.IT was a 150 yds with a 6.5x55 Swed.mauser.I wish I had started bow hunting years ago,Lord knows how much game I could have thrown my rifle at and hit.Spring bear is open now and I want to take one with a bow I've taken 2 with a rifle, the last one was a 6 and a half foot cinnamon phase black with a 19 and 12|16 skull.I'd post a picture but don't know how.<P>Later MF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bgoat,<BR> My set up is describes in my graphite for elk topic. My golden eagle has been my only bow, if they are all this good, then I'll stick to golden eagles. <BR> I like to hunt deer and javelina with my bow, I have even tried bear hunting, I hope this year I can do elk.<BR> Our deer hunts start in late august and go on till mid sept. closes then starts up agian in mid dec and ending on Jan. 31. Javelina season is the whole month of january. Bear and elk vary on their seasons.<BR> I never thought I would archery hunt, but I find it funner each year.<P>86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
So you know what I shoot, it is a Browning Adrenaline SX two cam that i just got this spring with a GK Platinum Premier rest and an archer's choice ac-980 stabilizer (gel chamber with doinker). Still have been looking for a sight. I am probably going to get the sure loc leathal weapon. Been using my old cobra till i figure that out. Here in Michigan we hunt from the 1st of october till the end of december. So far been hunting deer with dreams of bigger things with a bow (brown bear, africa). I am a 20YO college student majoring in mechanical engineering and right now work at a archery pro shop that sells guns and other hunting stuff also. <BR>By the way, Talus, your how many comment on another thread promted me to throw that in.

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Manum Freak, interesting you mention your antlered doe. I shot one in the mid-eighties in the Minburn community pasture, between Edmonton and Vermillion. Same deal, mine had two spikes with dried out velvet. <BR>Those are good ones to weed out of a population.

W
W
Hey all. I'm a newcomer to this site, and I really like the variety of communication that goes on here.<P>As for bowhunting, I've been doing it for 7 years now. Actually, I stopped bowhunting 6 years ago. Last year, I got the bug again, and went out to reequip myself. Right now, I have a PSE Viking shooting XX78 SuperSlams. I had never shot a deer with my bow in the previous 6 years hunting. Last year, I was lucky enough to harvest two (1 buck, 1 doe). I am completely grateful that I found the time to do this again.<P>I'm also lucky that I have a girlfriend that's into sharing some of my hobbies. In fact, she went hunting with me last year (rifle) and loved it. This year will be her first bowhunting. It will be an honor to hunt with her.

A
A
I shoot a homemade 55lb recurve(Bubinga and Osage) and a Fedora longbow with home made shafts, our season lasts about a month. I also have two older High Country compuonds which I have not shot in years. [Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,096
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.