24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Oh_Snap Offline OP
OP Offline
Im thinking about buying the red label all weather for my waterfowl hunting does anybody have any info.on this model?

Regards,
S.Chesmore
Pellets Dept.
Hodgdon powder company
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had two red lables and still have one. They are good guns but seem to kick harder than almost any other O/U I have had.
That may be just me but that is what I have seen.
The other thing I have seen is that they seem to "shoot loose" faster than most O/U's.
That is not to say they are worn out, just that they will fall open when you flip the lever. My Brownings stay tight for years, but the Red Lables will drop open in a short time. This may not be a bad thing for a quick reload.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you have never shot hot steel loads out of a fixed action gun....you might want to. there is a reason autos rule the water fowl arena

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago when I got really into sporting clays, and was looking at an O/U, word was to avoid Rugers. Everyone said they loosen up after a large volume of shooting. I at first dismissed it as nonsense, but got the same advice from lots and lots of folks. Short of Argentina, I cant imagine anyone shooting one that much hunting and occasional clay shooting.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can tell you first hand mine (both of them) loosened up after about 4 cases of shells.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Never owned one or shot one for that matter but I have read numerous times that they are designed to be loose on the hinge and that has nothing to do with "shooting loose", but it sure does freak people out. Might find more specific info on shotgunworld or rugerforum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two and like them a lot. As for shooting loose, they do loosen up but not to the point that you would consider them "off face". They just open up easier but still lock up tighter than a tick.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have had several and had no problem with them shooting loose by my definition. For me a gun is loose when it is off face and or moves when when bolted. I concur with RufusG.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i agree with ROMAC they do loosen up over time, ive had mine for 12 yrs now and prefer it that way, quicker for reloading no struggle.. and i would say for the last couple of years its been the same not like every year its getting worse....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one of the older 20ga Red Labels with the blued receiver.
Been shot quite a bunch at doves and sporting clays. Yes the action opens easily but lockup is extremely tight.

I don't think I can wear it out with the time or money I have left on this world.

I like the Red Labels because of the shallow receiver.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really liked mine. it did as everyone elses did, loosen a bit as i shot it. always locked up tight though. ruger has very nice chokes, very nice wood and bluing too. it was about the heaviest double gun I have ever shot. I would not own one for waterfowl specificly though just because they kick like a pissed off mule with big steel loads.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Red Label is about my least favorite of the medium price O/Us. I have a bunch of different ones and have had several Red Labels. There is absolutely no desire to get another.

And they are slow and "clunky" to me.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had one for a while. it was a beautiful gun with some rare wood. Used it twice duck hunting then sold it to buy a browning gold hunter 3.5. The guns themselves i believe are great but the recoil sux terribly bad when running black cloud steel through it. And i fired some magnum 2oz lead turkey loads that knocked me further than my 416 rigby. Besides, where i waterfowl hunt the one i had was way too nice to be lugging around.

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 160user, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 3,200 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,435
Posts18,528,621
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.