-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[img]http://photomail.photoworks.com/scr...WhPVSAEYs2skb&P2=0&P3=0&P4=1[/img] <BR>Showing the rotary union (the black nylon section with hose on bottom and anti rotation pin on top) and a adapter with 8 each 1/4-20 socket heads clamping it to the barrel. A copper shim is inside to protect the barrel. Yep, there is a barrel in there somewhere, between the adapter and the "cathead" on the right that has 4 each setscrews (and a protective copper shim) clamping the barrel.<P> [img]http://photomail.photoworks.com/scr...4hfVSAA.CZFdR&P2=0&P3=0&P4=1[/img] <P>The other end (breech) of the barrel. Note the copper protecter between the chuck jaws and the barrel. Coolant flowing out of the chamber, past the reamer. The bread pan catches the coolant, and has a return hose back to the 10 gallon coolant sump, it is returned via a pump to the muzzle. <P>So, what does this thing do? The constant flow of coolant while chambering flushes the chips out of the reamer flutes, lubricates the reamer and keeps it cool. This gives a much smoother chamber than the old "brush and wipe" method. Where do you get this stuff? I made the unit in the photo, there is not a system like this available that would fit my needs. (There are more parts, I will show them later in another post). Although Greg Tanner markets a system, his would not work with the style barrels I generally use, plus I needed the versitility that I designed into the unit I use.<P>The reamer is held by a precision floating reamer holder. In addition to the precision "dialing in" of the barrel to the lathe centerline, the floating reamer helps to ensure a concentric chamber that is true to the bore. All of my reamers have floating pilots, plus I have sets of pilot bushings in 0.0002" increments, allowing fitting of a snug pilot bushing to the bore. Again, this aids in getting that perfect concentric chamber.<p>[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited February 23, 2001).]

From Real Sasquatch Country: I Seen 'em!
GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
John,<BR>Why would the Gre-Tan system not work for you? I know it has it's limitations and could be made out of a stronger material, but I have yet to have a barrel it would not work on.<BR>Your system looks allot stronger.<BR>What GPM pump do you use?<BR>Your lathe looks almost exactly like the one I am purchasing and the ones I used at Answer. What is it?<BR>Who makes the floating reamer holder? I have never seen that one before. I currently use a Manson reamer Floating holder. I like it better than the clymer and eagle mtn. I have used.<BR>.........Celt

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Celt, Once you see all the components of mine, there is no comparision to Tanner's. Sure, Tanner's works OK, but I get into a lot of BR, 1000 yard and BMG rifles and I needed a bigger system to fit the big barrels. Plus I have a through the headstock adapter. If you are interested, I will email some digital photos of the unit disasembled, a photo is worth 10,000 words. <BR>I have three lathes, a 13x40 Jet Gear Head (the one in the photo) plus a 13x36 Jet belt drive and a 9x24 South Bend. Sort of shopping for a bigger one, for BMG work, a 36 to 42 inch barrel 2 to 2-1/2" dia, plus the floating holder and reamer, eats up a lot of space. Won't fit through my 13x40 with the 1-1/2 inch spindle bore. The floating holder is a heavy duty industrial type (very, very expensive) that is the best I have ever seen. Way back when I bought a Clymer, before I knew better, it is hanging on the wall to remind me of Bruce Thom's statement "Buy The Best and Cry Once". The sump is the under $100 Enco 10 gallon unit, this is the best value ever offered for a small machine shop. Has a vertical centrifugal pump, plus a screen basket in the return. I have a switch on the shelf just behind the lathe, so I may turn it off when withdrawing the reamer. Works great! I use high quality soluble oil with EP additives, and mix at three to one instead of the standard twenty to one.

From Real Sasquatch Country: I Seen 'em!
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Please do email me the picts. i may just make my own..maybe copy yours if you do not mind.<BR>The new lathe I am getting is a Birmingham. it is very simular to a Jet.<BR>could also let me know who makes the reamer holder? My Clymer is also set aside. The Dave Manson holder works much better, but still has some of the usual quirks when under a load, although much less than the two I mentioned earlier.<BR>i use a very lightweight high pressure oil with an EP additive when chambering. A chemist for a company called Oilchem brought in a few samples and this one works great. especially with the Walther barrel steel.<P>celt2000pathwaynet.com<BR>Thanks..................Celt<BR>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (AdventureBound, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 673, 17 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,438
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.