Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#36729 02/26/01
M
OP Offline
M
Would someone please explain to me what is meant by "pillar bedding" and what it has to offer over standard action bedding?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Machinest,<BR>Pillers are normally alum.pillers that are glassed into the action screw holes, the purpose is to be able to torq the screws to 40 PSI with out crushing the wood and this gives you consistency..It normally is used in conjunction with glass bedding on on Remington actions for the most part....<P>Mausers were designed piller bedded and do not require this alteration, and the M-70 only requires one in the rear hole......<P>Great on benchrest and varmint rifles, but on hunting rifles its use is questionable from a practicle standpoint....Lots of hype in this sporting rifle area..<P>A bedding block is another alternative to pillers.....<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Machinest,<BR>Pillers are normally alum.pillers that are glassed into the action screw holes, the purpose is to be able to torq the screws to 40 PSI with out crushing the wood and this gives you consistency..It normally is used in conjunction with glass bedding on on Remington actions for the most part....<P>Mausers were designed piller bedded and do not require this alteration, and the M-70 only requires one in the rear hole......<P>Great on benchrest and varmint rifles, but on hunting rifles its use is questionable from a practicle standpoint....Lots of hype in this sporting rifle area..<P>A bedding block is another alternative to pillers.....<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
In other words the little tube where the Mauser action's rear trigger guard screw goes through is a pillar. In pillar bedding this tube would be glassed into the wood stock. Correct?

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Pretty much right on.

IC B2

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will add that if you want to see for yourself what pillars look like when installed, look at a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded stock for a .30-06 and other high-power rifles.<P>Brownell's sells pillars one can install on any stock, but I recently installed a Hogue stock (such as the one above) to a Winchester post '64 Model 70 in 30-06 and skipped all that work. I bought the stock from Cabela's for $100.00. By the time you buy the pillars and other supplies plus the time it takes to do it, it's probably more expensive than buying a synthetic stock with the pillars already installed.<P>The problem with installing your own pillars is that you will have to be very careful when re-drilling the holes on the stock. One of the Brownell's kits also comes with the proper size drill bit, but you should use a drill press and a vise to properly align the existing holes. There is just a tiny error margin, so I would be careful when drilling.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ray: I don't think a bedding block eliminates the need for pillar bedding a stock. The bedding block relates more to have an action glass or steel bedded to me?<P>Either one still needs, or at least will further benefit, from pillar bedding? Except maybe for certain designs that combine both features, ( I didn't check the Hogue site from the post above yet, grin ) <P>Cheers<P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,792
Posts18,516,087
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.