Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Did you know that tiger was a magician too?

He turned a fruit into a vegetable with one bite.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I own and have owned Boxers, I don't believe they carry the same potential for attacking humans as the Pit breed does.

Boxers are a playful breed of dog that tolerates other animals relatively well.

JM.

John,

That is my perception of boxers as well, but a woman I work has a male that is a real bast**d at times. Her boyfirend took it in at about the age of 3 from a home where he suspects it had been abused.. The dog is good with the boyfriend, so-so with woman I know, but absolutely can't be trusted with anybody else especially kids. Its bitten family members and will "go for" anybody who comes to the house or approaches the guys vehicle. The dog had the snip about 8 months ago, and while it it has quietened him down considerably, its still not safe around children.

The couple concerned are normal, hard working folks, who had a boxer previously and got this one on the strength of their previous good experience with the breed. If it had been my dog, it would have been put down, but they are bent on trying to rehabilitate it...

I also know of another instance of two very human friendly boxers badly mauling a cow due to poor supervision by a supposed dog trainer...

So like I said there are no hard and fast rules with dogs, and any breed that has the capability and strength needs to be treated with caution and respect...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 01/13/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno folks, some of these little dawgs look pretty dangerous to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhh0MUi4_cM&feature=related

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FROM 2005!!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...120/Re_Another_Pitbull_Attack#Post629120

I was new to the forum and backed down mainly because I was embarrassed at how quickly I lost my temper. I am a little more comfortable with myself these days and ask no one for forgiveness about the way I feel on this subject!!

Sam, the exact same thing happened to my wife and our precious black lab in 2000! If I get rolling on this, I will probably be asked to leave the forum. The pitbull is a ni**** dog!!! PERIOD!!! And ni***** don't have to be black!!

WAR EAGLE!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
The pitbull is a ni**** dog!!! PERIOD!!! And ni***** don't have to be black!!
Wow! Well, at least you're up front in your racism. I give you that much.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

laugh laugh laugh That's hilarious!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any animal that has been abused can have issues regardless of breed.

I believe 3 things about Pit Bulls.

1. If they do attack, the damage will be more signficant than with many other breeds of dogs. They tend to have more of a kill mentality when they attack than other breeds do.

2. They are more aggressive towards people and other animals than most breeds.

3. They can be good pets when owned by responsible people, but more caution is required with this breed around other animals and people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That Border looks nearly identical to mine when he was a younger dog! grin grin

The bred is generally very good with people and other dogs, but is often "questionable" with anything else in fur!

They were originally bred to kill foxes and other vermin up around the Scottish borders and were working dogs through and through. They were often kennelled with the Fox Hound pack they were part of, hence why "dog agrgression" was soon weeded out of the breed.

15 years ago were not so common here in the UK but now due to appearing on various TV shows, they are deservedly quite popular again...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The pitbull is a ni**** dog!!! PERIOD!!! And ni***** don't have to be black!!
Wow! Well, at least you're up front in your racism. I give you that much.

You know what, I have become resolved to embrace it! I accept who I am and call it like I see it!

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1. If they do attack, the damage will be more signficant than with many other breeds of dogs. They tend to have more of a kill mentality when they attack than other breeds do.

3. They can be good pets when owned by responsible people, but more caution is required with this breed around other animals and people.

I completely agree with 1 and 3, and while I'm not so sure about 2 as I have seen apparently good ones, but because of 1, I would simply not trust them or any similar breed...

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

John, you're one of my favorite contributors here, so I want to be careful to keep my reply friendly, but you couldn't be more wrong on most of the above (number three I have no problem with, as there is no such thing as too much care exercised regarding any of the capable breeds). A Boxer is simply a German Pitbull. It has nearly the identical development history and capabilities (not to mention personality).

Next, Pitbulls are by their nature absurdly friendly towards people, and need to be raised in very bad environments to deviate from this pattern. In this respect, they are indistinguishable from Boxers. My dog literally wags his tail if someone so much as slows their car down while driving down the street in front of my home because he's hoping someone's going to come visit.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You know what, I have become resolved to embrace it! I accept who I am and call it like I see it!
In America, you have a right to be a racist, as far as I'm concerned. Don't believe in thought police.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E

That Border looks nearly identical to mine when he was a younger dog! grin grin

The bred is generally very good with people and other dogs, but is often "questionable" with anything else in fur!

They were originally bred to kill foxes and other vermin up around the Scottish borders and were working dogs through and through. They were often kennelled with the Fox Hound pack they were part of, hence why "dog agrgression" was soon weeded out of the breed.

15 years ago were not so common here in the UK but now due to appearing on various TV shows, they are deservedly quite popular again...

Well Pete, I don't know about the old lady and really don't want to know but I don't think Cameron Diaz sports much fur. I'd volunteer to find out first hand though. Hell, I'd even look at the old lady if I had to in order to get a look at Cameron...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In America, you have a right to be a racist, as far as I'm concerned. Don't believe in thought police.

Gonzales: There is one question, Inspector Callahan: Why do they call you "Dirty Harry"?
De Georgio: Ah that's one thing about our Harry, doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody: Limeys, Micks, Hebes, Fat Dagos, [bleep], Honkies, Chinks, you name it.
Gonzales: How does he feel about Mexicans?
De Georgio: Ask him.
Harry Callahan: Especially Spics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaa "Chi nks" got bleeped but "[bleep]" didn't. lmmfao!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaa "Chi nks" got bleeped but "[bleep]" didn't. lmmfao!
Amazing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I for one can speak from first hand personal experience about a pit bulls attack. Unlike other breeds once it began it never did stop, until physically forced to do so.

They are not like other dogs which I have had to "deal" with on more occasions than I could remember here. Unlike Pete's collie, which might snap at a kid, but it isn't going to "scalp" it like a pit will.

No, the dog was not a gang banger's, nor did it come from a "bad neighborhood' it wasn't provoked, or have abusive owners.
They said what we always hear after a pit attack "I just don't understand it, he has never done anything like this before".

Ontario has it right!
The Marines too.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You want a big dog, get a lab. It will chase the neighbor's cat and defend everyone in your family.

The worst it will do to your neighbors is lick them to death, unless they try to break into your house, then it will destroy them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
I for one can speak from first hand personal experience about a pit bulls attack. Unlike other breeds once it began it never did stop, until physically forced to do so.

They are not like other dogs which I have had to "deal" with on more occasions than I could remember here. Unlike Pete's collie, which might snap at a kid, but it isn't going to "scalp" it like a pit will.

No, the dog was not a gang banger's, nor did it come from a "bad neighborhood' it wasn't provoked, or have abusive owners.
They said what we always hear after a pit attack "I just don't understand it, he has never done anything like this before".

Ontario has it right!
The Marines too.

If your refering to my dog, its a Border Terrier, not a Border Collie...The Border Terrier, like I said was bred to kill foxes and to a lesser extent badgers, while working underground earths. While their bite is no where near as hard as a pit, staffy or boxer, like many of the smaller terriers, the bite is beyond proportion to their size and they do on occasion bite children quite severly.

Unlike some of pit breeds that put in one good solid bite and hang on, the smaller terriers will often put in multiple bites and then start "ragging" and if it happens to be a small child being attacked, it can potentially be vey serious..

This is why although I am very much a doggy person, I never trust any dog 100% around children 100% of the time..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No.

The most frightened *I've* ever been of a dog was a large, male Lab. I was unarmed and that thing could have really hurt me and was giving every indication it was going to. They can be very intense dogs.

And your "defend the family" comment is exactly what gets dogs into trouble. Hell, MY lab Lucy thought she needed to "defend the family" against some new people who bought a property down the road! Scared the crap out of them, kids and all, when they walked down to our end of the road.

I'm not pro-Pit Bull; I don't know enough about them. I tend to think that the truth is somewhere closer to what TRH is saying than to the media hype.

What I DO know is that large dogs can be dangerous, especially to small dogs (remember what this thread started as) and I know this because I have a Lab who about killed a small dog! And, I had a Husky/Lab mix that turned out to be a terrible country dog when we bought this land almost 20 years ago. She killed livestock and was a roamer. I loved that dog, but I put her down with my own two hands.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.