Print Thread
Hop To
#3649540 01/06/10
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Been thinking of buying a Encore stainless frame and using it both for a rifle and pistol at some later date.
As it stands I know squat about the Encores. I was told to buy a "pistol" frame instead of the rifle frame and then it is legal to add any rifle barrel at a later date instead of buying a rifle frame first. T or F?

If this is true, would all the barrels made for the Encore rifle then fit the pistol frame?

Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Snowwolfe,
I suck at email attachments but go to Mike Bellm page and on the index on the side bar there is a heading of converting encore and contender rifles to pistols and pistols to rifles. It is an actual BATF reply to the question. It does not look like it is adviseable to go either direction. I looked recently as I am buying my first contender in a rifle and wanted to do the same thing.

http://bellmtcs.com/store/

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was going to recommend the same thing relating to the barrel changeout and checking out Mike Bellm's site. However, I think you are in less of a 'gray' area when you go from pistol frame to rifle barrel FWIW.

One thing I will tell you (from experience and having two Encore Frames) is that you may want to consider the new Apex from CVA rather than the encore. T/C's quality control is not what it should be - that is first hand experience.
Good luck
Elk

"I won�t be wronged, I won�t be insulted, and I won�t be laid a hand on. I don�t do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." �John Wayne (John Bernard Books, The Shootist)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, order it as a pistol frame and then you can do either rifle or pistol barrel.

The frame will work for both pistol and rifle barrels. So, you can interchange to your heart's delight (and pocketbook).

T/C even puts a note on the box of a complete rifle set-up that you can't put a pistol barrel on a rifle designated action (legally).

The deal about pistol/rifle frames and purchase is per the BATF regulations that was posted above. It has to do with barrel length mainly and that's how the action is classified.

And this is just some FYI. If you buy an action now and then pistol grips later on, forego getting the T/C grips. Get some Pachmayr Decelators. They are LOTS better.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys. Am looking for something light and small for possible mountain hunting and the Encore may work.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I agree with Heeler on the Pachmayer grips. MUCH better than the stock T/C. I will also suggest that the Bergara Barrels are MUCH better than the TC barrels. Again, first hand experience on QA issues. Also, I would go to Mike Bellm's site and read every post he has. You'll learn all about the TC and how to make them work well.
Good luck,
Elk.

"I won�t be wronged, I won�t be insulted, and I won�t be laid a hand on. I don�t do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." �John Wayne (John Bernard Books, The Shootist)
F
F
I own the encore and just recently upgraded to the 7mm08 fluted barrel. It is an awesome gun!! very light recoil and kick ass knock down!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.