Print Thread
Hop To
W
wsmnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Will Burris signature rings with off set shims work on Leupold dual dovetail mounts? I am trying to preserve the distance between rings as short as possible so as to be able to mount a Leupold VX III 2.5 x 8. I have a VX III 3.5 x 10, but am trying to keep the weight down a bit. It is my wife's rifle, and she has taken a shine to the shorter lighter scope.
Thanks for any ideas shy of plugging and redrilling....

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I believe the most common solution is to have a GOOD 'smith open up the holes to 8-32 in line with the bore.

I would think it depends on how much off from centerline of bore that they are would determine if this approach would fix your particular issue.

Not positive if the Burris and Leupold Dual Dovetail work with each other. Most likely, yes, & this would be easier, too. Off center mounting holes are a pain in the neck, for sure. Good Luck.

The Signature Zee rings/Offset inserts with a Weaver style base would allow for latitude in ring spacing, but the Weaver look kinda "Clunky" compared to the Dual Dovetail type.

Last edited by oulufinn; 01/13/10.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Part of it depends on the number and severity of off-center holes. If there is only one off--which was a situation I faced--a solution is to go to a picatinny rail that uses the other three holes and maximizes your ability to mount a scope of whatever length you want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes they, (the Burris insert rings) will work and this is the correct solution to the problem. I have two older rifles with similar problems and this is one of the reasons the offset inserts were invented. Use the inserts to bore sight the scope with the adjustment turrets set at center then go forth and sight in followed by the slaying of much game. The Burris rings are also VERY sturdy and give a terrific grip on the scope without marring the finish.

Last edited by safariman; 01/13/10.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are they indeed off center or are the rear holes drilled on a slope?

My Win. WSM 70 was finished in such a way that they rear of the receiver was slopped off to the rear right. Made the initial reaction seem they were drilled off center but indeed the rear mount was actually leaning some.

Either way, a shim or a thinner base tends to fix the issue.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those Burris Sig. rings should correct your issues..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My Model 70 300HH has the holes in the bridge drilled at an angle , Conetrol bases have enough adjustment to allow the ring to move to the side and don't look off centre.The base is tilted at a slight angle but the ring seems to be straight. It worked for me , try it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If drilled & tapped the holes will be 8-40's

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is this a new FN Winchester?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hope not

IC B3

W
wsmnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Sorry. Should have mentioned it is a used stainless classic from New Haven in 270 win. It is shooting well, would just like to solve the scope mounting issue so I can put the scope of my(her) choice on it.
Thanks for the input.

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had the same problem with a 243 varmint weight barrel from the factory. Sent it back to them and explaining the problem and then 3 months later I get the rifle back, and they said it was fine.. showing me a target they had shot.

I called them up and asked if the target had been shot thru a scope mounted on the rifle or just shot at a wall full of targets from a locked down rest? they admitted the latter.
they had never touched the rifle.

So I put a Leupold base on it that was adjustable for the windage. That solved the problem.

I sure was frustrating as before sending the rifle into New Haven, I sent about 3 scopes back to the manufacturers to check out the windage adjustments.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 1minute, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,920
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.