Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a couple years now and am hoping to take advantage of all of your experiences and knowledge with my first post.

I have a Dakota model 97 in .300 win mag that I killed my first and only elk with. Unfortunately since that elk I've become a fan of lightweight rifles, and the Dakota tips the scales at 9 lbs 2 oz. scoped. It is currently carrying a Zeiss conquest 2.5x10 by 46mm scope (not in lightweight rings) and has a 25" medium/heavy contour barrel. I realize I can save some weight on the scope and rings but will still likely be at the 8.5 lb mark, and I would ideally like the final weight to be right at 7 lbs. or under.

My thought is to have it rebarrelled with a thinner contour 24" barrel and restocked with an ultralight stock, then upgrade the rings and switch to a lighter scope. Do you guys think those steps would get me to my 7lb goal and do you think the finished rifle will maintain a decent balance? Or am I better off just starting over with a lighter weight action like a Remington and building a gun from scratch? I am starting with the Dakota because of the elk I killed with it, although I do really like the action and trigger.

Thanks,
Bill

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rebarrel it & get lighter mounts & scope for a start.

Be advised that your stock choices are limited, however, as McM does not/will not make a stock for it.

The only stock that I know of that is available for it is an MPI as they make the synthetic stock that Dakota use.

I think 7 lb might be a little optimistic but 7.5 may be doable.

Or sell the gun & take the proceeds & buy a older Rem 700 Ti or a new Kimber Montana or one of the new Montana 84L's when they become available.

Personally, the latter route is the way I'd go.

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

this a dakota 76 in 7rem mag 24' krieger#2 con bansner stock
6x36 leup talley rings and bases i beleive model97 is a little lighter but this what your looking at all ready to go

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Welcome to the 'fire, naturehunter.
The MPI Dakota stock is a nice rig. My '06 lost about a pound going from walnut. Trim the barrel to 23" and flute it, Talley light weight rings and bases (or good ol' Weavers) with a FXII 6x36 scope should get you close to the 8# mark.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it has nice wood I would leave it alone or just have a switch out synthetic stock. Scope and mounts should come first. You could lose an inch off the barrel but it still won't be super light. On the other hand I don't like a 300 WM to be too light.

A second back up rifle makes more sense especially if the 300 is a sentimental favorite.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on MM's second choice.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a Dakota 97 in the lightweight version. It weighs 7lbs,14oz with standard Talleys and a 3-10x42 Leupy. The lightweight version ass sold by Dakota had nothing more than a lighter contour barrel. I do not know if the MPI stock is lighter than the standard Dakota. One possibility is the Classic by Hill Country-Matt noted during an informal discussion that he thought they could fit a 97 action into that stock, although I wouldn't consider his statement definitive, as we were merely brainstorming. I really like the 97-it is underrated IMO. Light, shoots great, reliable, feeds like a punch press-I think a 97 action is a great place to start for your project.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The early 97 had MPI stocks but I think they were the standard glass not the the Kevlar/Graphite light weight. I think Dakota made stocks in house for awhile after that but not sure.

Point is you would have to go with one of the graphite light weights for any significant weight reduction. I like the Dakota stock but an Edge version of the Legacy stock would be very nice.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks guys for all of the comments and suggestions, they were all very helpful. I am going to think this through some more but I'm leaning towards restocking the Dakota and also just biting the bullet and buying a separate truly lightweight rifle. Thanks again...

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Just buy another gun. That action has put you behind the curve in terms of making a really light gun.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
270 Roy, 97 action, 26" #2 Lilja, Bansners stock, steel bottom metal, Leup. 3-10x40, and steel Talley's. 8lb's 4oz's; not a light weight, but plenty light for me... You could probably shave another 10-12oz's going ADL, LWT Talley's, 6x scope and shorter barrel.

[Linked Image]

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (5sdad, 673, 300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,863
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.