Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hawken Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'm in the minority and have always liked the way they look.

Are there still any companys that make custom inserts for them?

Last edited by Hawken; 01/16/10.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

HR IC

Sorry, I havnt seen anyone that offers anything for the old boat paddles. I think you are one of the rare few that actually liked them :-)

I do have two sitting in my basement though Ive pulled off of a .35 Whelen and a .338 Win mag action if anyone needs any extras....

Give a man a match; he has fire for a night.
Light a man on fire; he is warm for the rest of his life.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a 30-06 ruger for sale that has a paddle stock

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They weren't covered up in beauty, but they are more stable than the MkII synthetic stock.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have one on my 300WM, and the dang thing shoots so good, I cant justify replacing it! And besides that, you never know when you might lose your paddle and need to use the stock for its originally designed purpose!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hawken -

Congrtulations on your good taste!

When I purchased my .300 WM it came with the Canoe Paddle stock and was seriously discounted because, I guess, no one wanted a rifle with that stock. In fact, my intent at the time of purchase was to replace the stock with a laminate.

Instead, I put a sling on the stock, which quieted down the sling swivels, and took it hunting. What I discovered was that 1) the stock was rugged as heck and 2) did not appear to detract from accuracy. I also enjoyed the fact that it was synthetic � no worries about water damage, dings, etc. In the end I decided it was a keeper.

Although �different�, I�ve always kind of liked the look.

Would I buy another one? You bet.

My stock came with wood (walnut?) inserts. I thought that was rather ridiculous on a synthetic stock so I ordered the synthetic inserts from Rugers. When the inserts came, I found out the screw lengths used were different as well, so I had to call Ruger and order new screws.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a Ruger with one of these stocks. It was a Stainless .25-06 Rem. The gun came to me used on a trade and I could not stand its ugliness. After I removed the noisy swivels, I took the plastic inserts off and painted the stock with a charcoal textured paint. The paint had sand-like material in it and made a mess in my garage. I painted the inserts a flat black, including the screws, installed some sling swivels, and when I put it all back together again it was pretty handsome. A friend fell in love with it and I owed him some favors, so he talked me out of it. I really wanted to keep it, but I replaced it with a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts. I love that rifle, too.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hawkwen,
I made some out of cabinet grade plywood and some aluminum sex bolts from the hardware store. It wasn't to hard. Looked pretty good. A cabinet shop could probably get you a scrap piece for free. Of course this gun is long gone now frown

Last edited by dumredneck; 01/16/10.

Why can't I see anyones Avatars ?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dumredneck
Hawkwen,
I made some out of cabinet grade plywood and some aluminum sex bolts from the hardware store. It wasn't to hard. Looked pretty good. A cabinet shop could probably get you a scrap piece for free. Of course this gun is long gone now frown

Boat paddle stocks? I cain't even find sex bolts around here anymore! grin

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have several ruger all weathers and while the boat paddle stock is durable and one you can be comfortable in working it hard i have yet to have a all weather rifle that did not shoot better when placed into any of the other factory stocks. two of them cut their groups in half after such stock swap. don't get me wrong, any of them as is would have been more than enough to hunt whitetail with but it sure makes range day a bit more fun.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
my son has a "boat paddle" Ruger 300 Win mag that shoots several different loads so well he is afraid to touch it!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have two rifles with the boat paddle stocks... 260 rem and 270 win. I think they are about perfect. What else do I need?

2 b 1 ask 1 !
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two boat paddle stocked rifles, a Ruger M77 SE in 35 Whelan and a ss in 280 Rem. Both are scarey accurate and durable as all get out. I would buy another if I could find one for sale.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I think that all the synthetics are ugly, some are worse than others; but Ruger's boat paddle wins the ugly contest. If you want pretty you gotta have a nice piece of wood. That said I'm currently looking for a Ruger boat paddle in 7mm08 because I don't alway want or need pretty.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have one in a 30.06 UL and I love the way it handles. I guess it is ugly but it is my all weather gun so I am more interested in function over looks. After doing a trigger job mine shoots great!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Small thing but I like the indented shape of the canoe paddle's butt stock area because it's easy to grab with one hand.
I put this canoe paddle on my 358Frontier for messing around with bear baits. I'm saving the original cute lil wood laminated one from all that stickiness etc. Seems to shoot accurately enough and it is just about the best knock about stock IMO. Got someone's cast off for 50 bucks. Works 4me.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
300 Win mag. boat paddle. Very accurate with my handloads. Bought this one new and it has taken many deer. I liked the stock when I bought it and still do. Factory sling mounts are loud. Had the trigger adj. to about 3#s. I wonder how the next generation will view these rifles?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my 338 was a pleasure to shoot off the bench with that stock......lol. ouch.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
my 338 was a pleasure to shoot off the bench with that stock......lol. ouch.

Still laughing...

The pad on my .300 WM always leave ripple marks on my shoulder unless I'm wearing a coat.

Still, it's definitely a keeper.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Does Limbsaver make a recoil pad that fits these boat paddle stocks?

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.