Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen:<p>I am trying to let this thread play out and stay out of it so that I get everyone's straight opinion.<p>But I just had to jump in here. <p>1) I also absolutely abhor the images in signatures. As a webmaster, they add nothing to the site after the first exposure or two, and they eat up bandwidth like crazy. As a user, I think they are so much visual clutter. Blech! I've had signature images disabled here for months, and I plan to do the same if we change, assuming I can (and I do). So let's put that to rest right here. No signature images.<p>2) I hear a concerted and well-received push to keep things simple. So far, KISS is the notion that is troubling me the most, for two reasons. One because I agree wholeheartedly. Two, because I'm not really sure how "simple" you will find the new software compared to this one. I'd hate to think, for myself, that it is pretty simple, and then find that many of you do not find it so.<p>My take is that the new software is pretty similar to the current UBB, though not exactly the same. But I'm a webmaster, and while no computer genius (believe me), I probably am not to be considered a beginner either. So I'm not sure my take is the same as yours would be. I need you guys to test drive some of those links and, keeping in mind that it is "new," give me an evaluation of its "user-friendliness."<p>Now, the way it stands is that this site is actually live on two servers as we speak. The DNS has not been changed yet, which simply means that the URL "24hourcampfire.com" points to the old server still. I have been playing on the new site, and I find it significantly faster. So even if we leave things like they are, we will have improved performance. And we are all agreed that that is a good thing. (You can thank Eremicus for that.)<p>If we change software, things will be even faster. The reasons are not important, I guess. Suffice it to say that it has to do with accessing a database using MySQL. So, that's a further improvement on performance.<p>Also, there will be lots of new features, both for the user and for the admin. I will post some good info and more links in the next post. Anybody who wishes to further explore and comment, positive or negative, I completely welcome the input.<p>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK Folks:<p>Here's the company line:<p>UBBThreads� (formerly known as wwwthreads) is the most customizable PHP message board software available today. Taking advantage of the flexibility and power of the PHP language, UBBThreads� offers both the administrator and the end-user the ability to completely personalize the interface. In addition, the optimized SQL database back-end makes UBBThreads� fast, reliable, and flexible.<p>UBBThreads� software is ideal if you:<p>Plan to have a community with more than 20,000 registered members
Plan to retain thousands of messages for searching <p>What features differentiate UBBThreads� software from UBB� software?<p>Users can switch back and forth between threaded and non-threaded (linear) format
Users can choose "skins" to change the appearance of the community
Printer-friendly option for topics
Admins can use multiple front-end servers for load sharing
Member list browsing
Choose a language on the fly
Message pre-screening
Who's online
Fast, powerful search engine<p>
You'll find this same info on the following link:<p>http://www.infopop.com/products/ubbthreads/index.html#<p>PLEASE hit the "Take the Tour" link at the top of the page. I'm ready for any and all feedback.<p>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick; Faster can only be better.... Thanks for all you have done and, good shootin, vbshootinrange.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not know Rick... Just the fact that you are asking before doing gives me a better feeling then most anyother site.<p>I go along Mr. Howells line K.I.S.S, and I am the stupid one, so it needs to be simple if I use it. As for speed I have a cable modem and I do not find your site slow at all. But if it gets faster I will not complain [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>All I have to say is if you do go to the new, pick a default 'skin' that my eys can live with. The colors you have now suit me fine.<p>..pick..

..pick..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMHO, KISS. I like the comfortable feeling here.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick - I'm with NO, simple and fast sounds great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick, -- Don't know about anyone else but the colors and backgroung in that last address,(fighter thing), sure was easy on these tired old eyes, don't know how much it would slow things down but sure would be easy reading over a period of time. The background thing was one of the major faults we had over at the last campfire. This one is OK but like you say, better is better. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] Shooters has an adjustable type and background now for the users. I think most people here would like spellcheck more than anything except reading aboilty. JMHO --no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me place a vote for a spell checker!!!!!!!!! I write better with a smell checker. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only thing I can say for sure, Rick, is to be careful of the colors you use on a black background. I am red and green colorblind. Brown, dark red and dark green blend into each other and also black. I have no problems on a light colored background so long as it isn't important to distinguish brown from green or red.

Rick

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I decided to go for it.<p>Bottom line folks is that we were going to have to upgrade sooner or later.<p>As with any change, there are pros and cons, but in this case, I listed them both out, and the pros were overwhelming.<p>So I dropped the cash, and we'll be off to the races soon. <p>We'll also have a brand new shopping cart. The one I had was just too cumbersome to work with, and really couldn't handle the number of products for which I have distribuition rights.<p>So, for the New Year we will have a new server, a new BB software package, and a new shopping cart. SOmebody pinch me!<p>Anybody wanna spread the word? <p> [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Rick

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick, -- just checked out another site with black background with white letters and it was tough to read, be careful. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, the company I work for got all new hardware 2 years ago, then we went through a software conversion which we beta-tested for Triad. Considering the 18 months we just spent de-bugging the program, YOU CANNOT HURT ME!!!!!!!! Go for it!
Yours Truly, 8ball

I dislike the pictures of heads, large signatures and photos. Hubby doesn't use the computer and when I find something of interest and 'print' I get numerous pages. The 'Forums' at www.huntri.com has the black background and white letter. If I print directly from the page I get gray letters. If I copy into a word program I have to change the white letters to black and change the background color. I do like the feature that if anyone responds to a thread I get an email notice.
Pat

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,618
Posts18,533,005
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.