Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Charlie Mitchener is a 61-year-old general building contractor with an office near Patrick Lane and Fort Apache Road in Las Vegas. He holds permits allowing him to legally carry concealed weapons in Nevada, Florida and Utah.

Over the past three years, his office has been broken into five times. "Three of those occasions involved me interacting with Metro," he wrote to me recently. "Each of the occasions began the same: my introduction, my presentation of my Nevada drivers license and my concealed firearms permit. Prior to today, each Metro officer simply replied thank you, proceeded with his work and then when complete there was a conversation about firearms."

Things were real different at 5:30 a.m, Jan. 3, however, when Mr. Mitchener called Metro to report the fifth break-in at his office.

"Vin, I hope I did not see the future this morning," Charlie e-mailed me. "Today was drastically different."

The responding officer was a lady cop, officer J. Rogers, badge number 13525.

"Upon presentation of my (firearms permit), the officer asked if I had the weapon on me to which I replied yes. She then said to spread my legs and put my hands behind my back. I complied and she then handcuffed me. While doing so, she said that she wanted to make certain 'that we were all safe.' "

Officer Rogers stripped Mr. Mitchener of the Glock 19 he was carrying, took the weapon and locked it in her patrol car.

"Bear in mind that she had yet to clear my office (she was waiting for backup for clearing)," Charlie writes. "So, while remote, there was the possibility that the bad guys were still in my office and would come rushing out, finding me, to their delight, handcuffed. Apparently I was not included in her comment 'that we were all safe.' It is always nice when law-abiding citizens, particularly myself, are disposable.

"An hour or so later, when she had completed her paperwork, she came back in the office; I was in the rear and did not see her enter. She came to me and said that she had put my weapon in the second drawer on the left in the receptionist's desk.

"She then said that she could tell that I was upset with being handcuffed 'like a common criminal.' I explained that I was extremely upset and told her that it was out of respect to her that I provided my (firearms permit) and that the Second Amendment did have some meaning. She replied that the reason she did what she did was because she did not know if I was a bad guy or not. ... I thought to myself, 'How absurd, I apply by the law to obtain permits, and yell it from the housetop that I have a permit and am carrying, just as I presume all bad guys do.'

"I asked if she was following procedure to handcuff me and remove my weapon to which she did not have a good answer, other than I was larger than her. ... It certainly reminded me of the stories in New Orleans after Katrina regarding confiscating weapons from the law-abiding citizens."

Another officer told Charlie that, based on J. Rogers' badge number, she had probably only been on her own for less than six months and was probably not secure in what she was doing. "It certainly makes me want to provide all the information the next time my office is broken into," he adds.

I talked to Charlie on Tuesday. He had called the concealed permit division that morning, and been referred to Internal Affairs, where he reports a detective told him, "It all depends on the officers, that if they think it's the safest thing to do they can do that. And he said it's best not to bring a weapon in this kind of situation."

Ah. So after going through all the rigmarole required to obtain a concealed weapons permit, it's best if a business owner who is the first to arrive at his office in the dawn hours to find it's been broken into not carry a weapon? Where the hell would the cops suggest would be a better circumstance into which to carry our legal self-defense weapon -- a toddler's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese?

I contacted Metro about this incident Tuesday. Late Friday, a spokesman confirmed Mr. Mitchener's account as "generally accurate," stating the officer "acted in a way that was in the interest of her safety."

Charlie Mitchener followed the law. He has trained at Front Site and with Tactical Response and continues to regularly visit the range. Yet, "In an instant, I am in handcuffs (at 61 years old, this was a first), and there were no bad guys in handcuffs with me, just the guy who thought he was doing things correctly," he writes.

We should not be required to apply for any "permit" to carry a concealed weapon in the first place. Despite this, Mr. Mitchener did everything required of him by law, ordinance and Metro instructions.

The officer handcuffed and disarmed him "so that everyone would be safe"? What a bunch of bull. If the burglar or burglars had emerged, they would have been confronted not by two armed law-abiding good guys, but instead by one small, frightened officer and a handcuffed and disarmed legal occupant. This rendered Mr. Mitchener "safer"?

Please note that if Mr. Mitchener had not followed law, ordinance, and Metro request, if he had carried a firearm in his waistband without ever seeking a permit or informing the officer he had it, the tiny officer would have had no probable cause to disarm him, and he would likely have remained armed throughout the entire encounter. Thus, he was punished, degraded, and treated like a common criminal because and only because he attempted to follow law, ordinance and Metro's legally dubious "instructions."

The cops don't get it. The Constitution does not say "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless such infringement makes an officer of the government feel safer." The biggest reason the American populace are armed was never to fight off bears or wild Indians but to make agents of the government feel unsafe -- really, really unsafe -- should they try to take away our rights. That's why a citizen militia is "necessary to the security of a free state."

If these arrogant, uniformed employees of ours really want to treat us as the enemy, they may eventually get their wish, at which point they will discover they're vastly outnumbered -- and "backup" is never quite close enough to solve the problem they've created for themselves.

America in 2025, gals: Keep at it, and it can be your own private Afghanistan.

Vin Suprynowicz is assistant editorial page editor of the Review-Journal, and author of "Send in the Waco Killers" and the novel "The Black Arrow." See www.vinsuprynowicz.com/ and www.lvrj.com/blogs/vin/.

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad somebody other than me posted this.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the broad brushes out.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Next time, ask the pint-size b!tch cop to leave.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
thats why i dont have a permit...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Forager

She wouldn't; in fact I doubt any cop would at that stage...

What gets me about this is not what she did, but that she will not be censured for it and the guy concerned has not recieved a public apology and perhaps some compensation.

I would say that the woman simply lacks the judgement needed to be a good Cop and her Department needs to acknowledge that...

Last edited by Pete E; 01/17/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and then let us know how it works out for you

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Things like that really pizz me off. If a cop doesn't have any more confidence than that and is afraid for her life in that situation, she shouldn't be choosing that for a profession. Somebody has screwed up giving that girl a job.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
and then let us know how it works out for you

She'd probably crap her panties and shoot him.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
Glad somebody other than me posted this.

You could have if you changed the title to " Pot head handcuffed..........

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If these arrogant, uniformed employees of ours really want to treat us as the enemy, they may eventually get their wish, at which point they will discover they're vastly outnumbered -- and "backup" is never quite close enough to solve the problem they've created for themselves.

America in 2025, gals: Keep at it, and it can be your own private Afghanistan.

He really doesn't mince words does he?
What ever happened to the charade of "Community Policing"?
Was it all just a farce?

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would have gotten an apology out of our Sheriff and the officer receiving 'additional training".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by forepaw
I contacted Metro about this incident Tuesday. Late Friday, a spokesman confirmed Mr. Mitchener's account as "generally accurate," stating the officer "acted in a way that was in the interest of her safety."
I think the lady cop did the right thing. As a non-police officer, it's my personal routine as well to disarm everyone near me once I discover others are armed, cops included. Police officers become a little annoyed when I do this to them, but seem OK with it when I explain to them the importance that I remain safe during the duration of our contact. They, of course, get their sidearms back once our contact is finished. I just place it, unloaded, in the glove compartment of their squad car before unlatching their cuffs.

PS It's a joke, folks. Please read carefully. I added this post script because some people apparently SOMEHOW took it as though I was serious. I thought it was patently absurd enough not to require a smilie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to be a sexist but it's not the first time I've heard about this from a female cop. I have a buddy who is a federal employee wearing proper ID got drawn on and handcuffed for a Pellet rifle. His department raised a considerable stink about it but I never heard if she was disciplined.

I'm not saying that ladies can't make good officers but I have seen a couple that used an overly agressive attitude. Maybe I just don't notice the attitude as much in guys but it sure seems like the women cops try to be more harda$$..................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Forager

She wouldn't; in fact I doubt any cop would at that stage...

What gets me about this is not what she did, but that she will not be censured for it and the guy concerned has not recieved a public apology and perhaps some compensation.

I would say that the woman simply lacks the judgement needed to be a good Cop and her Department needs to acknowledge that...
No, you don't get it. Her department approves of it as one of the options available to them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Vin writes a good article. He's worth reading every week.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

In Barak's words: I'm glad someone other than me posted this wink .

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's a shame our Military doesn't look out for their own like LEO's do. Can't say that I agree with the Copper's in this case either. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E

Not to mention actually catching whoever is breaking into the guy's office!

Alan

Last edited by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr; 01/17/10.

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 3,153 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,746
Posts18,514,559
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.