Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Mackie Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Enjoyed the survivalist thread...especially the .22 enthusiasts....you gotta love a 22.
There is a Great book called, "One Second After" compelling read and it will no doubt change the lone wolf idea of surviving the doomsday scenario. 22 shells become the currency along with cigarettes. Armed thugs are beginning to rule the day in Haiti...

I would recommend this read for all....very plausible scenario.....3 EMP missle blasts from cargo container ships off the US coast from either Korea or Iran...and the USA is thrown back into the 15th century.....

GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
please correct me if i'm wrong, but that would be the 1400's, right?

in the 1400's, the current USA, and Canada were heavily forested.

now, that's not the case. does that help or hurt??

let's see, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Israel?, and others lost their forests....then, Scotland had their forests taken away by the English...now, Haiti seems to be converting their forests to goat-grazing brushlands??

is this progress, pray tell?? wink

M
Mackie Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Gus,

I do not know about that, merely repeating what the book "One Second After" indicated. 1400's..1500's a difference without much of a distinction.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mackie
Gus,

I do not know about that, merely repeating what the book "One Second After" indicated. 1400's..1500's a difference without much of a distinction.

technology can be used for both good and bad? machine guns, nuclear weapons, bio-technology?

who gets to decide??

if we continue to choose to de-forest the Earth, are we going in the wrong direction, pray tell?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
An EMP would indeed wreak havoc. But if you have an old fashioned breaker point ignition vehicle, it will still run. If you have a gas generator, odds are it will run. If you have old time vacuum tube ham equipment, it will run.

In order to survive, you'd need about half the population out on the end of a hoe to raise enough food.

There are enough people who can feed a couple of families on 5-10 acres that society would survive.

My guess always was that in a couple of generations, something like the level of comfort of the 1970s would be the norm. IOW, not so bad.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

M
Mackie Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The population would drastically decrease for many reasons...disease, violence, starvation, loss of medical care and drugs, all the older folks in the nursing homes and most in the hospital, the people on Rx to maintain their sanity or helath and a host of other reasons.

All persons in prison or jail for any level of violent crimes should be immediately executed..if not the level of later violence will be quite bad. Do we as a people have the stones for such actions?

The availability of food will dictate the population numbers. Having a food available in the midwest with no transporation to get it to the east coast...or anywhere else means ...no food.

For the people who think their home and property is safe...and they will just hunker down....not very realistic. Most have not faced a dedicated enemy much less a starving, psychotic, diseased, thirsty dedicated enemy.

The food in the hills will disappear rather quickly and clean water will be much more difficult to get, disposal of waste, etc.....the little things we take for granted would become much more apparent. Toilet paper, soap, shoes, clothes, no diapers, feminine pads and such...the list go on and on.

Cash will not be KING.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The population would drastically decrease for many reasons...disease, violence, starvation, loss of medical care and drugs, all the older folks in the nursing homes and most in the hospital, the people on Rx to maintain their sanity or helath and a host of other reasons.

All persons in prison or jail for any level of violent crimes should be immediately executed..if not the level of later violence will be quite bad. Do we as a people have the stones for such actions?

The availability of food will dictate the population numbers. Having a food available in the midwest with no transporation to get it to the east coast...or anywhere else means ...no food.

For the people who think their home and property is safe...and they will just hunker down....not very realistic. Most have not faced a dedicated enemy much less a starving, psychotic, diseased, thirsty dedicated enemy.

The food in the hills will disappear rather quickly and clean water will be much more difficult to get, disposal of waste, etc.....the little things we take for granted would become much more apparent. Toilet paper, soap, shoes, clothes, no diapers, feminine pads and such...the list go on and on.

Cash will not be KING.

yeh, yeah, that's all true enough, in the short-term, But, what are we going to do next, after we get past all of that unpleasantry? wink

i mean, the Coming of the Messiah/Return of the Christos comes into play, no? the coming land of milk and honey, what a concept!

so, the wildlife biologists among us, wink have long dealt with over-populations of animals of various types, economical, destructive, etc... do they know a lot the average citizen doesn't know??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mackie, you are just a freaking bundle of joy, ain't ye?

Probably right on many counts, though. We've got tens of millions of people who are only alive because of daily medications which would disappear, and they would die when their meds and those in drug store inventory ran out.

maybe a third of the million people in hospitals die. most of the millions in old folks homes punch out....as the attendants bug out.

I don't think anybody has the stones to execute prisoners or the criminally insane wholesale...so they're probably going to be out in the general population.

garden variety mentally ill walk around unmedicated until they die or are killed, ditto the utterly dependent welfare people.

lots of convenience consumer goods disappear...people will learn to make do.

given our history.....I think in the US some form of self government, beginning at the local level will establish itself, maybe first in the form of regulators who execute those who prey on the rest of the population.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That old movie "Zulu" , based on the seige of Rourke's drift, after the Isthandlwana Slaughter.

Remember the really cute little missionary lady, and her drunken missionary / preacher father,.......? When he finally becomes to much of a PITA , and they load him and sweet cheeks up in a wagon and send em' on ( to safety, one would presume)

.........He's standing in the wagon yelling " You're all going to DIE!,You're all going to DIE!,You're all going to DIE!,.....

Mackie, if they ever do a re-make, you're a natural for that part.

Don' let anyone tell you different, ya' Hear?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm to old to care. I'm going to the Faeries and Faery Queen. You all can have this mess. smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

M
Mackie Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
CrossFireoops,

A comment on the selection of firearms if the stuff hits the fan thread and a recommendation of a book titled "One Second After" gets you to Zulu....LOL. I am glad I did not comment of the knife selection if the stuff hits the fan.

In the end...this book is a compelling read probably not for some on this thread...LOL. Don't read..."The Road"

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
CrossFireoops,
Don't read..."The Road"

I wish I hadn't. Read it 2 years ago and it still haunts me. Too freakin' real, IMHO.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mackie's got a pretty good idea of the situation. Few people realize just how close we live to that eventuality. The smallest case scenarios (Haiti, Katrina) show us that conditions deteriorate rapidly, even when help is coming as quick as it can. If the problem was so big the there was no Help coming ..................................

After a month of fighting Zombies, executing prisoners is going to be the easy part. I can think of 100 people (actual names) that would kill me for a can of green beans before they would get on the end of a hoe to grow some food. For every person like me that could actually grow a squash or some mustard greens (it takes 45 -60 days to grow a radish, or a batch of edible greens, 60-90 days to get a sustainable tomato plant of squash plant going) there are a thousand who could care less. They are accustomed to getting everything they have (which really isn't very much, but it keeps them ticking) for doing nothing. They feel entitled. They would likewise feel entitled to my can of green beans and would view killing me for it as a minor inconvenience.

It's not going to be hard to find everyone either because unless you have an artesian well or one with a bicycle attached to it, everyone is going to be down by the river after the water tower is drained.

Forget all that though, because if you guys think we've got some crappy people in charge of things now, just wait till "might makes right" takes over. Life is going to be cheap.

Oh well, enough joy and cheer for this fine Monday morning. I think I'll go see how many monster bucks there are out running around since the season closed yesterday.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ARMc--sounds like a plan. Go to it. Most of our young people (99%) are followers and not leaders, son what do you expect from all those lily livered nin compoops who are the next generation. Most of them believe that milk is manufactured in a plastic jug. You take it from here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'scuse me ; what in hell is an EMP ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
'scuse me ; what in hell is an EMP ?
"EMP" is "Electro Magnetic Pulse". This is a condition created when a nuclear bomb is detonated that produced a surge of electricity which is known to affect the circuits of sensitive and not-so-sensitive electronics. It is the bane of survivalists as generally-speaking, the newer the electronics, the more likely they would be to be affected.

The truth is that nobody knows a lot about the affects of EMP practically. There is much theory about it, but other than the affects of the nuclear bomb tests in the Nevada desert, nobody has much experience. Most people are most-concerned about their vehicles as it would inhibit their plans to "bug-out". "Bugging Out" is Vietnam-era slang for getting the hell out of Dodge, which is presumably what most survivalist types would do if the balloon goes up. They plan on leaving their city apartments and bugging out in their sixties-era tricked out Cheby into the brave new world of national forests where they will spend their days hunting Bighorn Sheep for food and killing the errant Zombie that gets past the NWO lines.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best evidence indicates that EMP events off the coast of the US would have little affect anywhere but those coasts. I'm not sure they would have any affect even there. For an EMP blast to be affective, the best theories have it being detonated over Kansas or Missouri, in the middle of the continental USA. Even then, most likely a modicum of electronics would survive. The military is aware of EMP and has been planning on it for years. Diesels should be affected very little and one presumes most of the military electronics are hardened.

One disaster scenario is China taking over the world due to the US military's over-reliance on sophisticated weaponry with fancy electronics, while the Chinese are WWII era with electronics which EMP wouldn't affect much.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
given our history.....I think in the US some form of self government, beginning at the local level will establish itself, maybe first in the form of regulators who execute those who prey on the rest of the population.

Barak just got a woodie on that one....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stephen King wrote a book titled The Regulators.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that is a scary scenario,but considering I live in liberal hippy town,I would probably run the Warlord play book to stock up before I headed to the hills.
I wouldn't have to hurt most of my nieghbors they would be busy trying to get a signal on thier blackberrys and I could just sneak in and steal the canned goods. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,797
Posts18,477,411
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.