Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I saw JB recommend books by Wilbur Smith for trips to Africa. That sounded like a great idea. So, I was thinking about other tips on handling the distance. My biggest concern is my size. I'm 6'3" and will be on an Airbus in coach for 18 hours. Airbus' are notorious for minimal leg room. Any suggestions (other than drinking heavily)?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HS,

I'm 6'3" as well, and flew coach(Delta). I just got up and walked around a lot. Don't think I ever spent more than 2-3 hours at a stretch in the seat, between walks. My knees would have been a wreck, if I hadn't. I know some people do the sleeping pill thing, but I don't think I'd try it myself, unless I were in Bus or First, and could be stretched out, while snoozing.

Jeff

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ambien!
You'll need a prescription, but it helps.
I'm short and I was not comfy. Sleep if you can. Walk around when you can. Remember where you're going. If you are heading to Namibia, A Sparrow Falls is appropriate.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
HS; book your seats on a bulkhead...more leg room, failing that...on an emergency exit aisle...

Also there is a head set and a little screen with a library of movies you can watch,pick out 6 of your favorites, watch them, and you'll be half way there!! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe

Also there is a head set and a little screen with a library of movies you can watch,pick out 6 of your favorites, watch them, and you'll be half way there!! grin

Ingwe

Ingwe, that's exactly what I did. Watched a bunch of movies.

HS, I can't speak for the Airbus, but was able to keep halfway comfortable on Delta (777) and I'm 6'2". I did get an aisle seat. I don't know how I managed it, but on the way back, I slept almost 5 hours straight without drugs. The flight attendents were impressed. grin

He went over yonder way
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ambien is very nice. It will put you to sleep within 20-30 min and it lasts about 4-5 hours. Just be careful to time everything right and note what time it will be locally when you get there. Sleep early if its going to be nighttime when you get there and sleep closer to the end if it will still be daytime when you arrive. You want to be awake if its time to be awake and asleep if its time to be asleep. Bulkhead/Exit rows are your best bet in coach as well as moving frequently.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm 6'3", and 245 lbs. All of the above is great advice, and if you can get an aisle seat, you'll be ok. Going over, your too excited to let it bother you, and coming home you're too tired to care!grin

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing people should note about Ambien is that the effects have to "wear off" - that is, you aren't instantly back to your normal self when you wake up. The one time I took Ambien was after I returned from an overseas trip and couldn't get back on any kind of reasonable sleep schedule. While I did sleep for several hours (around 8 hrs) after I took it, I really didn't like being groggy for a couple hours after I awakened. Being groggy while I was awake kinda defeated the purpose of taking Ambien in the first place.

While I don't know first-hand about what being drunk feels like, I would have to believe that the feeling I had while the Ambien was wearing off was probably similar. I personally do not plan on taking Ambien again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm a big guy too, and besides bulkhead or aisle seating I also found, depending on route, to stay overnight in whatever layover city you have before you get on the "long" flight...
When you do get on, you are rested, watch a few movies, sample the complimentary Amarula ( ! ) and South african Wine, take the Ambien or Tylenol PMs and Zonk...you'll wake up relatively fresh in Jo'burg and/or Windhoek...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am 5'8" and there are some advantages now and then.

I also am able to sleep well on airplanes, but my wife never could. She tried Ambien for the first time on a flight to New Zealand and loved it. It does have a little after-effect (more for some people than others) but it beats the heck out of being jet-lagged for 1-2 days if you can't sleep well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a short legged guy, but have bad knees, so getting up and walking was madatory. Air crew was very accommodating, and quite "visity" as I walked every hour or so.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
HS,

I'm a long-legged SOB, 6-2 but mostly legs. I did the Airbus trip to RSA and my travel agent booked me the bulkhead seats. When I got on the plane and in my seat, I knew there was no way I was going to make that long of a trip since I had no prayer of stretching my legs out fully since the bulkhead was just too close. The bulkhead seats are normally by the galley or the bathrooms, so sticking your legs out in the aisle isn't a good alternative either, that is if you want to get any sleep. I called my agent while I was sitting there (she said I was the first and only person that had ever told her I could not sit in the bulkhead seats) and she looked at the seating and told me there were plenty of extra seats and to just get up and move, but to let the flight attendants know. That's just what I did. Even though I was sitting in coach, I found that I could stretch my legs out under the seat in front of me and at least be somewhat comfortable, much better than the bulkhead. My Doc gave me some muscle relaxants for the flight. After dinner and a trip to the head, I popped one and was out for about 8 hours. Woke up in time to watch a movie or two and was ready to go when we landed. I'm not sure what the scrip was, but it worked well with no after affects. Just my 2 cents.
Test

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ambien is the bomb!! Takes a good eight hours off that flight.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
My biggest concern is my size. I'm 6'3"

don't worry if you are coming to s-africa the guys here are decent and generally wont tease smaller guys. and if they do, use the huge amounts of liquor you referred to they tend to like that,especially if you share.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm 6'3", and I had an aisle seat in coach (Delta 777). It was far from optimum, but I got through OK.
The bulkhead seats were right ahead of me. Watch out requesting bulkhead, because they always put babies there. The babies on my flight did not enjoy the flight at all, and made it well known. Also, people tend to congregate & stroll around the galley/head area, too, so be ready for traffic. You should be fine so long as you avoid the dreaded "center seat".
I found it an advantage to board the plane as dead tired & sleep deprived as possible in order to make sleep easier. I don't tolerate drugs well. YMMV.
Resist the compulsion to prepare for every minute thing. Just relax, roll with the inevitable inconveniences, and have fun.

BTW: Lt Dan is right, South Africans are great, great folks... and they are big- though not neccessarily only in height. Especially the women. :>))))) You'll meet several on the flights, and you'll like them all.

Last edited by sourmash; 01/19/10.

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I also found, depending on route, to stay overnight in whatever layover city you have before you get on the "long" flight..."

That tactic worked really well for us. We flew to Atlanta early in the day. Got to visit with a childhood chum, to boot! Got a good nights sleep at the Crown Plaza(at the suggestion of one of the Atlanta guys on here...I think it may have been Hatari? Whomever it was, thanks!), and then the long ride to Johannesburg. While that long a flight was not pleasant, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I'd have done it on a bed of nails, anyway! grin

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Our last couple trips through Atlanta we arranged to get into Atlanta late afternoon, stay in a Motel with shuttle service, bar and restaurant all on the premises, have a good feed, couple nightcaps and a good nights sleep before you get on the 10:30 to Jo'burg..
As I mentioned, watch half a dozen movies, have some Amarula and Tylenol PMs and wake up in Jo'burg...feeling pretty good grin

ingwe

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm 6' 2" and I've been across the water in the back and the front of the plane. The difference in my condition on arrival was immense.

Now that I no longer have the arrangement that allowed me to afford to ride in the front, I no longer cross the Atlantic.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Agreed.
My wife usually accompanies me on the trips to Africa, Mongolia, New Zealand, etc.- we've done it both ways, and I can assure you that unless I find a way to get us into bus. class, we ain't goin' again!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am 6-3, have shrunk a bit in my old age..but say 6-2 and 75 years makes it about impossible to find a comfortable spot on an airplane, so my trips to Africa have really slowed down. I am pretty burned out anyway, so its no biggie to me..I have seen the best Africa has to offer and I have the memories that will be with me forever..I have been truly blessed. Enjoy it while you can, it's the ultimate hunting left in the world.

One thing I can sure guarentee is that the amenities of flying have gone down hill drastically in the last 10 years..They now treat you like cattle to slaughter...Even 10 years ago you got a wonderfully prepared meal of veal parmigan, steak, chicken, great RSA wine by the bottle, constant supply of juice, coffee, and whatever, they treated you like royalty but that was when Africa owned South African Airlines..No more the good days are gone. I recall a trip back and the plane was almost empty so the stew made a bed for me and I slept like a baby to NY, and I wasn't even old then! smile smile She got a big hug when I departed. Today they kick you out of first class, then if a seat was available you got it for $100 bill..if you were a booking agent or travel agent it was offered free..Sometimes they called us on the speaker and told us we were changed to first class...the personal on the plane were the very best..Today I see some sulleness, but then you see that all over RSA today, thats another change in a changing world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
540 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,484
Posts18,529,712
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.