Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Lost one of my Brits today while out hunting. She is not much of a hunting dog but let her go along anyway. She wandered off during the hunt. Saw her about 2 hours later coming down a cove like she was coming to me, called to her and at about 30 yards she turned 90 degrees and took off. Have not seen her since. Got in touch with houses in the area and hope she shows up. Got in touch with the local counties animal control.

Any other ideas???

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Post an ad in the local paper(s)/ advertiser(s). Off a reward and be careful about paying it until you see the dog.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not sure what to do with a non hunting dog. I have had dogs chase something or to be off hunting away from me. If it doesn't come back when I call & whistle, I shoot off a shot to get it's attention. The number one thing to do is to stay put until the dog finds it way back to you. No discipline other than maybe ignore them for awhile. But that it is with a hunting dog.
I have read to leave an article of clothing with your scent out where you last seen it. They might find it & lay down & wait for you to come back. I don't have a clue if that will work.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
Lost one of my Brits today while out hunting. She is not much of a hunting dog but let her go along anyway. She wandered off during the hunt. Saw her about 2 hours later coming down a cove like she was coming to me, called to her and at about 30 yards she turned 90 degrees and took off. Have not seen her since. Got in touch with houses in the area and hope she shows up. Got in touch with the local counties animal control.

Any other ideas???

Like Tronske said. Lay a coat or shirt down with your scent close to the last place you saw her. Eventually, she may come to it. It has worked for me. Check it often. Other than that, ask, ask, and ask all the neighbors within 5 miles.

Good luck. I know how much this stinks.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 01/18/10.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I managed to loose three dogs in the last 20 years, all GWPs. One was my first hunting dog who wandered off near a tank while dove hunting. Got him back two days later at the dog pound. Hardly recognized him. He traveled 30 miles before someone caught him and took him in. He was a very friendly dog and loved people which was to his advantage.

The other two were lost just three years ago. I lost them on a dove hunt. We were through, I took off the shock collar from the one that liked to wander and got distracted talking to my friend's 8 yr old son. Turned around and they were GONE. I put down water/food/clothing and a crate. Kept going back found them on the third day. Told all hands on the agricultural farm where I hunted doves and one called me. The dogs couldn't find the small car lane where they crossed the CAP canal and were on the other side in the middle of a large field. They were very wary and no one could get near them. Even I had a hard time till they recognized the whistle and my voice. I now use a Astro tracking system.

It sucks to loose a dog. There are plenty of ways to get the word out. There are even lost dog websites. Get the word out plus pictures on various signs/poles/etc. I hope you find your dog.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first Golden (25 years ago) took off after a rabbit. After 4 of us spent four hours combing the fields and woods we came back to the car. There he was laying on the hood. What me lost? Where you been?
Seriously the scent heavy coat method has worked for friends in the past along with a dog treat or two.
I have all my dogs "chipped" now.
Good luck!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In the future have your dog microchipped. It will give a Vet. your info and you get your dog back shoud they get to a vet. that checks them out. Sorry to hear about this. I always have fear that this will happen when out hunting.

Article of clothing has worked for me twice, but I put it out before leaving the area. It may be too late for you. Best of luck!

Ufish
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Save yourself a lot of heartache and get the Garmin Astro. I know its expensive, but it is cheap lost dog insurance. I can always tell where my dog is, and where its going.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never have lost one yet but have sure wondered where the heck he had gone off to. Now he never leaves the truck without wearing his blaze orange vest. Some of the patches we hunt are so thick that a dog could run circles around you all day without catching sight of him.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lost my Labrador Retriever in a big swamp area about 25 years ago and left a coat at the edge of the swamp where I had parked the car. The next morning he was lying on top of the coat, wagging his tail. I hope you find your dog.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/20/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
No luck yet. This is in some very remote country. Put flyers in 75 mailboxes last night, contacted shelters, vets, etc. Waiting and hoping she gets hungry and finds someone to feed her and someone who will do the right thing and call me.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Update:

Dog has been found and is on her way home safe and sound. Guy that found her would not even take reward money that was offered. The entire family is excited to have her home.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
yeah!!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How far did she get?

We had a bearhound come into out camp once and we kept him till we got into town. He had covered about 30 miles....

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
EXCELLENT! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It just might be in your dogs best interest, if you were to purchase a "locator collar" and use it everytime your in a area such as dog was lost. Dog-Tra makes a great collar!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
+1 to remote control beepers and Dogtra in particular.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So glad you got your dog back. I know the anguish. Now go get an garmin astro and prevent it from ever happening again.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Dog started in a place called "Spring Creek in Madison County NC. She traveled NW over some fairly rugged remote mountains and ended up on US Highway 25/70 about 4 miles into TN heading towards Newport.

My wife went to pick her up from the guy that got her, said she slept the whole way home. She was excited to see my other 2 Brits.

I learned 2 things from this experience. 1) I will never put an e-collar of any kind on this dog again. Due to previous owners she is TERRIFIED of them. 2) Penny will only be a house dog, no hunting for her again due to previous owners. She is only out on a leash unless she is in the lot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.