Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi all. I'm new to this site and really enjoy it so far. I've received this M70 Featherweight that I need to scope. I'll probably go small and light. Should I use a one-piece or two-piece base? Steel or aluminum base and rings? I'm thinking about installing a 2-7X or 2.5-8X or compact leupold. All suggestions are greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

-Jeff in MN

Attached Images
Winchester 30.06-1.jpg (48.95 KB, 309 downloads)

Armchair Bwana -Jeff in MN
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A classic rifle like that deserves a classic scope setup in my opinion.

I'd go with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3 in Leupold dual dovetail mounts(2-piece base, medium rings).

That would look really sharp on that rifle, be more than enough magnification for any big game hunting and wouldn't detract from the balance and handling of such a fine firearm.

Good luck, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/19/10.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Leftybolt! Is the VX3 the Vari-X III? I don't have much experience with scopes and mounting. Does it need to be professionally installed? Would the base screws need to be Loc-Tited? Thanks again for any help. I need it. lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeh 2.5-8 leupold would be excellent,rings and bases there are alot off good ones out there, I prefer warne. I have never had to lock tight base screws even with big magnums,but some guys do.The most important thing to do is make sure your rings are in perfect alignment,have somebody show you in person that has experience.A poorly mounted scope can be a very frustrating situation.A lapping bar and alignment rods are very helpful.

Last edited by highridge1; 01/19/10.

1 and done
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
As far as bases, you stated you wanted small and light. You might want to look at Talley lightweights. They now make super lows so it might fit the application you are looking for.
Rick

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is the VX3 the Vari-X III?

No, it's two generations later.

Vari-X III, then VX-III, then (current) VX-3.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As mathman said the VX-3 is the current version of Leupold's Vari-X III.

Scope mount preference is a personal thing.

Others have mentioned Talley lightweights(aluminum), Warne(steel, but heavy); and there's lots of other decent quality and functional mounts out there.

Personally, I like steel mounts and Leupold's Dual Dovetail rings and bases offer a very strong but clean, nice looking mount(doesn't look bulky on the rifle ) that's fairly light in weight.

If you aren't familiar with the do's and don'ts of mounting scopes then have a reputable professional do it, it will save you alot of money in the long run over having a damaged scope or mounts.

I degrease the bases and rings and use blue lock-tite on both(bases and rings)and have never had a scope move when doing so. Many don't think it is necessary. IMO it's cheap insurance. To each his own.

Good luck, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/19/10.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Jeff, glad to welcome another Minnesotan to the camprife. I would also suggest the talley 1 pcs lwt lows and either a 2x7x33 or 2.5x8, both great scopes for such a rig.I have this set up on several of my model 70's and it works well.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
If I went with the VX-3 2.5-8X 36mm Leupold and the dual-dovetail bases, would I want low or medium Leupold rings? The rifle weighs 6 lbs. 13 oz., and I'd like to keep it under eight lbs. scoped and loaded. Would this setup achieve that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome, nice rifle.

Since you've never mounted a scope before I agree with leftybolt on having a reputable professional mount it for you.

In my experience Model 70 long actions often need some type of extended bases for shorter scopes. Try to make sure you're getting the eye relief you need from whatever scope & mounting system you decide on before it's paid for and mounted.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I may buy some scope mounting tools since I'll definitely be doing this more in the future. Any recommendations there? Thanks for the tips so far, I will heed your advice.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have several winchester featherweights with leupold dual dovetail mounts and rings, they're definately the way to go on that rifle, they look great and are about as strong as you can get. Unfortunately a 2.5x8x36 will not fit on a long action in dual dovetails, the tube length is too short. I actually did get one to fit on a friend's M70 30-06 by beveling one edge of the scope ring but you probably don't want to do that, and there was absolute zero fore/aft adjustment to be had. Leupold's website shows the 2x7x33 to have a 5.2" tube length vs. the 2.5x8x36's 5.1", so I'd imagine it would fit but you'd still have very little fore/aft adjustment for eye relief.

If it were me I'd get the 3.5x10x40 instead of either of the two scopes you mentioned. I've got two of the 2.5x8x36's and like them, but the 3.5x10x40 is a better, more versatile scope and it has more tube length for adjustment. The 3.5x10x40's definately are brighter, the 2.5x8x36's lack noticably in that department to me. The 3.5x10x40 weighs a whopping 1 oz. more than the 2.5x8x36, a difference not even worth talking about it's so minor. I also think the 3.5x10x40 looks better on a long action, it's still a pretty compact scope. My two 2.5x8x36's are mounted on short action featherweights. If you don't want the 3.5x10x40 then the VX-II 3x9x40 is also a great scope, it's only about a half oz. heavier than the 2.5x8x36 and has enough tube length for your rifle. It's slightly more compact than the 3.5x10x40.

Any of these scopes, including the 3.5x10x40 and 3x9x40 will fit fine in LOW dual dovetail rings, there's no need for mediums on a winchester featherweight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Talley light weight are nice (see #1 below) but even nicer are the SK mounts (see #2 below) are even slicker and have the advantage of windage adjustments in both front & rear bases.
The 2.5-8x36 Leupold is a great scope that mounts low.
If you got the bucks the 2.5-10x32 Nightforce is wonderful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Crow hunter! Does anyone here have a 2.5-8 X36 on a featherweight? Maybe a different base configuration would work? I doubt that I'll ever need to use more than 4-7X and my shots would all be 200 yards or less. I would probably have it set to 2.5-4X for Minnesota woods huntin'. How about an offset or extended base? Whatever those are. lol

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks oldman1942! I can't enlarge your pics and I don't see too well, so can't tell much from your setups. They do look clean though. The VX-3s are selling for $400 and I'd like to keep the budget under $500 with bases, rings and gunsmith pro mounting. Maybe I'm already over-budget? lol I'm a real newbie here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my experience Crow hunter is right on with his recommendations for the 3.5-10&3-9 Leupolds on a long action Model 70. It's gonna be close with your budget for those scopes. You might want to check out the new Redfield or something in that price range.

For the distances you say you'll be shooting I'd get a Weaver or any good quality fixed 4x or 6x. Most of them will be easy to mount, save you some bucks and do the job. The Leupold 6x36 FXII will fit a long action Model 70 but I believe their newer 4x is too short. Their older Model 8 4x will be easy to mount and do the job for around $125 on ebay. Look at the used scopes for sale here too.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 01/19/10.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
M70 dual dovetails wont fit with a VXII 2-7 unless you get the extended front. This is a nice set-up though.

Another good one is the VXIII 1.75-6. You could use regular Dual dovetails, as this scope is longer, and a bit more eye relief.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
S/K rings and bases here is a supergrade with them, another rifle and another. Needless to say I really like them

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by phoenixdawg; 01/19/10.

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
safari317,

With Leupold's RVF base(reverse front base) setup the 2.5-8X36MM VX-3 will fit just fine.

Google leupold dual dovetail bases for a reference picture. The RVF base will set the front ring back about .5"- .75" compared to the standard DD front base.

# 54241, this is Leupold's Product code for the M70 RVF DD Bases. I believe they only come in matte black(RVF Bases) so matte rings and scope finish would probably be the way to go here, it will look really nice(I prefer matte to gloss myself when it comes to scopes; your tastes may differ).

Another member here mentioned going with the larger 3.5-10x40mm VX-3 to accomodate the standard DD bases. That is not a bad option either. If you do this you will have the option of using gloss rings and bases and a gloss finished scope if you prefer as Leupold makes the standard DD bases in gloss finish.

S&K mounts are also really nice as mentioned but are expensive.

Word of caution: Leupold low rings are really low, I prefer mediums but as mentioned low will work with a 2.5-8x or 2-7x Leupold on a standard caliber featherweight(if it is a magnum caliber or WSM and you go with a bigger scope, I'm not so sure). Somebody else here can advise you further regarding this.

You have lots of options; just depends on how deep your pockets are.

IMO you would have a well put together and nicely balanced rifle with the Leupold DD RVF bases/rings setup and matte black 2.5-8x36mm VX-3.

Good luck, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/20/10.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
43 is correct; to mount a 2.5-8 Leup with DD bases and rings on a 30/06 length action M70 will require a front or rear extension base,which is no big deal,but neccessary nonetheless.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.