Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Try using two ball peen hammers. Put one hammer on the edge of the dovetail and strike it with the other hammer gently.
You do this little by little, don't try to do it with one big swing of the hammer.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
UHhhhh, I've owned the hammer pictured above for over 20 years,....

BELIEVE me I've not screwed anything up with it,....during that time.

it's the one I use for "Moving Metal",....and Yes, I'll peen around a dovetail, too.

Nonetheless, I'll hold with the proposal that a THIN shim can be invisible, and bomb proof reliable, in some applications

Good thread, Good to know that the "Anti Metal Molestation Society" waxes strong.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Gunsmithing by Roy F. Dulap (2nd Edition 1963, p407):

"Tightening a loose sight in a slot can be done in several ways, the best of which is by peening down the edges of the barrel slot. This can be done either directly by a steel hammer, or by a hammer and a large driftpunch. To prevent undesired damage to the slot, take an old sight and make it into a dovetail blank, using just the portion to fill the slot and place it in the slot when peening. Peening makes for a neater finished job than tightening by shims or a centerpunch.

To tighten by a centerpunch, which is possible sometimes when the sight is just a little loose, use a manual punch and hammer to make deep marks from left to right across the slot, in a double line, the deeper impressions being to the left. The punch extrudes a little metal up around each detent, which serves to bottom the sight."

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.....and on a slim barrel will also push dimples down into the bore.

Play with some old takeoff barrels and pin gauges, prove it to yourself.

No disrespect to Old Roy, intended or inveyed, either.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take it Old Roy expected people reading his book to use common sense. With any gunsmithing operation one should think it through before attempting. (And still you get surprised on occasion and get another "learning opportunity" fixing it!)

Useful method for rear sights and sights on heavy barrels like black powder. I reserve it for sights that are almost, just about there, tight and use an automatic center punch because 1) it's easier and 2) better to control the force of the strike.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

If you bend the lips of the dovetail they will only touch
the sight in a small area. Use a thin shim, it wont take
much to do the job and you haven't damaged anything.
Good luck1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, I didn't want to peen rear sight notch on Marlin 27S.
Nathan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,155
Posts18,502,930
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.