Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just wondering how it would do as a sidearm while hunting and hiking compared to say, a K or L-frame sized revolver in .357/.38.....

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I did when I didn't have anything else. I'd rather have a revolver in the woods and harder hitting than 9mm. But you have to remember, I live in the Pacific Northwest, so we have a lot of Sasquatch to worry about. I'm just kidding about the sasquatch part.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My biggest worry out on public land are human predators. Marijuana planters and meth labs cookers. After them it would be aggresive feral pig and feral dog packs. Perhaps a mama Bear encounter if Cubs are present. But Bears generally move to avoid humans before us humans even notice them.

Ballistically the 9x19mm is about halfway between the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum. Personally I'd go with a 15 round magazine in the Beretta. But either the Revolver or the Beretta are "good to go" guns.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm curious on the responses as I was planning on asking this question myself since I want one of these pistols. I figured this setup has to work as the military is dropping guys in the middle east with them.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Air Force chose the Beretta back about 1980. Then the Army complained and Congress got involved. Finely in 1985, after spending a lot of money, the Army chose the Beretta over the SIG-P226 based on cost.

I have no qualms if the P226 had won. The Beretta has many virtues. Safe, reliable, easy to use, easy to disassemble and reassemble. The only vice, to me, is it's large for a 9mm.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not as good as one and better than the other, cartridge-wise. I think the only real objection is that most woods dudes would just rather have a revolver. I think it would be a little little on a hawg or a Black bruin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
The Air Force chose the Beretta back about 1980. Then the Army complained and Congress got involved. Finely in 1985, after spending a lot of money, the Army chose the Beretta over the SIG-P226 based on cost.

I have no qualms if the P226 had won. The Beretta has many virtues. Safe, reliable, easy to use, easy to disassemble and reassemble. The only vice, to me, is it's large for a 9mm.

I like the Beretta and I have to agree with all that.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I did 24 years in the military. So I've shot the old .45 govt model left over junk pistols and the .38 Revolvers, that the M9 replaced.

Special Ops Command can buy whatever small arms they want out of their own budgets.

Since the M9 was a large pistol the Air Force OSI, Navy CIS, and Army CID lobbied for a smaller semi-auto and got the SIG P228 as the M11.

The issue of the adoption of the 9x19 mm NATO cartridge and M9 being a "foreign" pistol will always irk some folks. In this case the military procurement system did a good job. The biggest screw up was the buying of non-Beretta magazines that jammed. Federal Ammo now sells the military an expanding FMJ 9mm cartridge. We'll have to see how that works out.

If I was recalled to active duty and sent to the sandbox I'd take a shotgun, M4, or M16, over any pistol.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
ColeYounger

I agree a 9mm would be a poor cartridge on an angry mama Bear. I much rather be carrying my Savage M99 in that case. As for a pig...? Just keep shooting it till it's too heavy with lead to bother you. In a feral pack I'd think the other pack members would turn on the wounded as an easy kill.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I LOVE the Beretta 92FS, it IS what it IS ! ... and it IS still WHAT it WAS, regardless of size or caliber- compared to anything else, whatever, or NEWER.

I have a Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox 9MM, and a Beretta 92FS Billennium 9MM (1 of 2000), also a Beretta 92SB 9MM Compact M (single stack mag.) All, but my Billennium model have been more than welcome as traveling and outdoor companions.

If YOU like the Beretta 92FS Pistol, and you want to take it along as a 'Compadre' on your outdoor adventures ... Join the club and enjoy.

If I gotta worry 'bout Bears, I'll bring along my Marlin Lever 45-70 Guide Gun for back-up.

Hell, I USED to take along a little vintage Beretta .25 Auto from the 50's as my Woods or Lake Camping Gun ... but now I got about 24 handguns to choose from.

A CZ 40-P or a CZ 40-B (both un-catalouged) are often now my traveling & camping companions although I do have .357 and .44 Mag DA Revolvers.

But, the ONE handgun, that I now feel the MOST secure with outdoors and camping, as I find that I consistently shoot most accurately, and have even taken game with, which I have shot, dressed, and eaten, is my Ruger Vaquero single action revolver, chambered in .45 Colt.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, since you asked about a particular handgun model ... probably one that already attracts YOU, judge for yourself and don't deny youself.

A lot of traditional outdoors "Kit" or "Camping" handguns were and are - mere .22 Cal. revolvers ...

So, if you're entertaining a - Beretta 92FS, 9MM Pistol for "that" purpose ...

You are already ahead of the game ... Go for it and don't look back.

You can alwasys go 'ahead' later.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I am convinced that the Beretta 92/96 family are excellent military and law enforcement General Issue pistols for AVERAGE on duty Servicemen for open, not concealed, holster carry. That's what it was designed to be. The US Border Patrol gets into more shootouts than any other agency. Their uniformed officers carry the Beretta 96.

What is the "best" weapons for SWAT, counter terrorism, special ops, and undercover personel, or home self defense? Ask them. I'm sure we'd get many opinions.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Just wondering how it would do as a sidearm while hunting and hiking compared to say, a K or L-frame sized revolver in .357/.38.....

In our parts it would do just fine - worse thing here is a black bear (I have only had one black bear confrontation in almost 50 years of spending time in the outdoors in eastern NC). I have killed one pit bull (used a .41 MAG levergun, but a 9mm would have done the job). Packs of feral dogs and feral hogs are the growing issue now - I have taken to carrying a Blackhawk in .41 MAG or .44 MAG nowadays, but that 15 round mag would be nice too. If you own it, take it, better than not being armed.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

I can imagine a number of scenarios where a lot of bullets could come in handy, as opposed to fewer more powerful ones.

Pick your bullet for the potential applications and have at it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For woods carry, I have a couple of .41mag's. One, a snub nosed ported belly gun and the other a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. I also have a .45LC, a .45ACP, and a 10mm. My 10mm is a 15round Glock G20, but there are others out there. I think that the 10mm is the best auto for a woods handgun. I sleep with my 9mm, and have a .380 mouse gun in my car console.

Maybe my best woods carry gun was a 19oz Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 2 1/2" revolver in .44Special. A friend loaded me some birdshot and I carried it with 3rds of hardcast and 2rds of birdshot. Another one of those foolish trades that let it get away.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, the reason I ask is this: Mainly, I need a new pistol of some sort for "general" protection and plinking as I've recently sold my S&W 317 that I carried with me in the woods...and my wife has claimed my compensated Rossi .357 revolver as hers.
In addition, I'm planning on starting to shoot Service Pistol within the next couple of years or so after I finish earning my Distinguished Rifleman award. Sooo, I'll likely be purchasing a Beretta M9/92FS in the near future anyway. Having limited funds available, I thought thay perhaps the Beretta 92 would serve me well as a general daily carry gun too rather than purchasing two different handguns right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently bought a second 92, lightly used. I'd have no problem using at as general woods carry. I'm not to big on the bear thing around here. I do like to have something though. Many times I like the lighter weight options but the 92 isn't to heavy. I have not loaded for the 9mm in a very long time but just loaded up some to test. They are 115 grn Rainier plated RN over 4.1 grns Win 231, 1.1 COL. I plan to get a few more 15 round mags & should be good to go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
The Beretta has many virtues. Safe, reliable, easy to use, easy to disassemble and reassemble. The only vice, to me, is it's large for a 9mm.

Me too. Can't stand slide mounted safeties and it is BIG, but it is not heavy, its is accurate, dependable and carries lots of rounds.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The only 9mm I've got is a Beretta 92. I like the pistol for plinking and stuff. When I want to carry a serious sidearm in the woods it's usually a .41 or .44 mag revolver. When it's an auto, it's my Glock 20.

Mathew 22: 37-39

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Rarely does anyone in procurement ever asks the troops what improvements they want in equipment.

If I'd ever been asked for an improvement to the M9 I would have said convert it to double action only (DAO). With or without the slide mounted trigger disconnect retained.

DAO would have made for reduced accidental discharges, and simplified training. I'd prefer keeping the slide mounted trigger disconnect safety. But that is a debatable choice.

Being a medical squadron type going to the Range with doctors and nurses was always scary due to gun mishandling. Most medics sneer at weapons and never understood the purpose of any military is, when legally ordered too, kill people and break things. As for defense of self, comrades, and casualties. The attitude was "that shouldn't be our job". As if an enemy was going to fight on those terms!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Main problems that you MIGHT hit here in southwest VA is the occasional black bear, stray dog or pot & meth brewers. Glock 22 or 27 is generally what I carry. If you can shoot it straight it'll work. No reason the 92 wouldn't work if you put 'em where they need to go.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.