Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The world gets a little more weird.

NY dairy farmer kills 51 cows, commits suicide

COPAKE, N.Y. � State police in New York say an upstate dairy farmer shot and killed 51 of his milk cows in his barn before turning the rifle on himself.

State police found the body of 59-year-old Dean Pierson in his Copake barn on Thursday. A visitor found a note Pierson had left on the barn door that said not to come in and to call police.

State police would only say that Pierson was having personal issues.

The Columbia County hamlet of Copake is about 115 miles north of New York City.

Local farmers buried the cows outside the barn Friday. They would not discuss Pierson or what had happened, but one of the men said these are hard times to be a farmer.

Source

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad deal, there. A man's mind can crack in all sorts of ways.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Truely tragic.

Perhaps this old boy could have used some of that bail out money. Instead it goes to fat cats who are getting fatter and should be in a soup line instead.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't want someone else having his girlfriends after he died

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dairy farming sucks, no time off, none, period. Those cows HAVE to be milked twice a day, no exceptions, ever. Talk about being tied to your job, nothing is worse.

Add to that, all kinds of Federal and state restrictions and all manner of regulations, and then get paid less than it costs you to produce your product, hold onto the farm, cows, and equipment, it's no kind of life for most folks.

My uncle and cousin run a Grade A dairy in Missouri. I doubt either of them has been out of state in years, and I doubt my cousin has been out of the county in the last five years. And losing money every year, at that.

I'm really surprised it doesn't happen more often than it does.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bea175
Didn't want someone else having his girlfriends after he died

A singularly stupid comment.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lot's of emotions here from an old farm boy. Humor ain't one of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a shame they buried those cows. They could have at least sold them to one of the Horse Cock or Wiener makers......

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Dairy farming sucks, no time off, none, period. Those cows HAVE to be milked twice a day, no exceptions, ever. Talk about being tied to your job, nothing is worse.

Add to that, all kinds of Federal and state restrictions and all manner of regulations, and then get paid less than it costs you to produce your product, hold onto the farm, cows, and equipment, it's no kind of life for most folks.

My uncle and cousin run a Grade A dairy in Missouri. I doubt either of them has been out of state in years, and I doubt my cousin has been out of the county in the last five years. And losing money every year, at that.

I'm really surprised it doesn't happen more often than it does.

I think its one of the hardest vocations to have ,usually born into it ,if you are on your own its a tough life ..I don't know about down there but in canada ,quota is very costly and health regs very stringent .

health officials can cost you BIG time..frustration levels can tear your heart out. frown mad

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Running a dairy has got to be one of the tougher 'jobs' in agriculture. I sure as hell couldn't handle it.
Too bad about the guy loosing it..

I rememember hearing about a young farmer over in North Dakota.
During harvest he got a brand new combine stuck in some mud. He procedes to pull it out(hooked onto the rear end) with a 4x4 tractor and basically pulled the $200k machine in half.

Went home and killed himself....

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell, farming ain't an easy life and them dairy boys have it even tougher. I am with the poster that said they are not surprised it don't happen more often.

We are loosing farmers every day that have been on family farms for generations. This is a serious security issue to the nation believe it or not. If we can't feed ourselves without importing food we are truly SCREWED!

Selling the dead cows to a processor ain't gonna happen. Federal regulations would not allow it. And 'sides that, how long had they been dead when found, probably already going bad.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm a dairy farmer. It does suck worse and worse all the time with dwindling to negative profit margin these past two years with all kinds of added regulations that cost big bucks with a stone to pay for them.
Life long dairy farmers in their 70's and 80's say it has never been as bad as now nor for as long. I believe the average age is in the mid 50's
Still I would walk away whistling Dixie before pulling a cowardly act like that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FVA, hang in there bud!

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Running a dairy has got to be one of the tougher 'jobs' in agriculture. I sure as hell couldn't handle it.
Too bad about the guy loosing it..

I rememember hearing about a young farmer over in North Dakota.
During harvest he got a brand new combine stuck in some mud. He procedes to pull it out(hooked onto the rear end) with a 4x4 tractor and basically pulled the $200k machine in half.

Went home and killed himself....

A guy in these parts bought a new articulated tractor during a particularly wet spring and proceeded to buried it. Two D 6's later it was in two and he did the same thing

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
FVA, hang in there bud!

Will due and thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
at my Gram's funeral back in '05 one of our neighboring dairy farmers related this bit of info

In 1976 he was getting 12 cents a pound or gallon (don't remember which unit of measurement he used) and bought a new truck for his farm, it cost him about 5K. Now in 2005 he was getting 13-14 per unit and he'd gone down and looked at new trucks, said by his calculations he should have been making trucks instead of milk.

if you could make a million dollars a year being a dairy farmer it wouldn't be enough for me, (well guess you could get a hired hand and settle for 800K, grin)

but will say this, if you ever have a chance to hire an employee that was raised on a dairy farm, HIRE them FAST. Odds are good it'll be the best hand you ever had.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
at my Gram's funeral back in '05 one of our neighboring dairy farmers related this bit of info

In 1976 he was getting 12 cents a pound or gallon (don't remember which unit of measurement he used) and bought a new truck for his farm, it cost him about 5K. Now in 2005 he was getting 13-14 per unit and he'd gone down and looked at new trucks, said by his calculations he should have been making trucks instead of milk

Yep. My Father was getting paid the same and more back in the late 70's/early 80's as I am getting now. I still have two tractors that my Father bought brand new, in the same year when I was 16. I'm 45 and I'm not holding onto them for sentimental reasons. They are simply paid for.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If those cows were attending mass, would that make them sacred cows? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Folks ran a Diary for 18 years, I got to help with it all the time. Got out of school and I took over for another 8 1/2 years. It was two and a half years I went before I got a day off.

Damn glad I don't Diary anymore, I still have nightmares about it though, every now and then I dream of getting those cows up in the morning, in some of the nastiest weather you can imagine. And it's been 22 years since I did it eek

I feel for the Dairy farmer, a thankless job for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
State police would only say that Pierson was having personal issues.

I'd have to guess Bossie was leaving him. Decided to take her whole family with him.

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 9 invisible), 14,169 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,001
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.