Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by LSCE
Thank you Pete,

I'll explain the problem they are attempting to address. Some SAAMI specs for hunting bullets call for a steeper throat angle. This can be up to 3 deg. The 7MM Magnum and .222 have this steep angle.

Others have a lesser angle. The .308 for example has 1.75 Deg., the .270 has only 47 min. 33 sec. of angle.

It is a known fact that monolithic bullets produce more drag in the barrel when fired. The team working on the GMX is trying to come up with an ogive design that will work better across the spectrum in each caliber.

Their aim is to reduce fouling and eliminate some of drag that their current designs produce.

I hope this explains it.

Help me out here LSCE, I thought SAAMI specs for throat angle were a component of chamber design, not bullet design. Are there SAAMI specs for bullet design?

You are correct, they are dimensions of the chamber, not the bullet.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mule Deer,

I only mentioned the .222 as an example of a 3 deg. angle. I never claimed that Hornady was producing such a bullet in their GMX line up.

I am not part of the redesign team, but I have spoken with those who are.

V
V
Throat angle means about zero in the scheme of thangs. 2-15 wouldn't make a hoot on a chamber.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That is an incorrect statement. The bullet bearing surface in relation to the chamber angle can mean a great deal.

Too much can increase pressure, which will affect velocity and speed up throat erosion. It also can have a detrimental effect on barrel life.

V
V
Got any proof of that, or are you just speculating?

Within reason it can have an effect, breaking it down to minutes and seconds of an angle depending on caliber is idiotic.

You're not changing the bore diameter, or groove depth or width, just the angle that the amount of lead-in the bullet is using to enter the bore.

Run the trig out and tell me the difference. It's next to nothing over such a short distance of travel.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
None in 270, but I've used both in 150 gr 30 Cal from 308 Wins.

I've taken deer and black bear with the e-tip, deer and moose with the GMX.

Load work-up was difficult with the e-tip. A 30-06 that had shot every previous bullet under an inch, probably 20 or so different bullets in all, wouldn't shoot the e-tip under 2 or so moa. Work-up wasn't quite as bad in the 308, but more difficult than any other bullet I've shot through it. Best groups were about 3/4 moa.

I've only loaded the GMX in one rifle, but it shot better than most bullets in this rilfe with very little load work-up (one powder charge and two different primers).

Both have worked very well on game, the only one I've recovered was the GMX from a moose.

I think the e-tip might open at slightly lower velocities and have a little better BC, but because of how they've shot for me the GMX has seemed to be a better choice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is an incorrect statement. The bullet bearing surface in relation to the chamber angle can mean a great deal.

Too much can increase pressure, which will affect velocity and speed up throat erosion. It also can have a detrimental effect on barrel life.

OMG.....Liar 24 is back with a new handle....let's see...Lee South Carolina Engineer...LSCE

same loudmouth know it all with his "industry sources"....knew you couldn't stay away, you zany lying SOB

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mule Deer,

I am not part of the redesign team, but I have spoken with those who are.

This is kind of a giveaway....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Velocity
Got any proof of that, or are you just speculating?

Within reason it can have an effect, breaking it down to minutes and seconds of an angle depending on caliber is idiotic.

You're not changing the bore diameter, or groove depth or width, just the angle that the amount of lead-in the bullet is using to enter the bore.

Run the trig out and tell me the difference. It's next to nothing over such a short distance of travel.

I don't believe you are understanding the process. At the point of ignition, if the chamber pressure spikes due to excessive contact by the bearing surface, that pressure does not just disappear. It drives the projectile at a higher velocity than intended down the length of the barrel. Not only is the chamber subjected to this pressure but the entire barrel.

Doing this repeatedly over time creates accelerated throat errosion and signficantly reduces barrel life. It also leads to more fouling and in a worse case scenario, can damage the bullet causing erratic flight characteristics.

Let me know if you need it explained further.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

]

Sorta reminds me of the way Yogi Berra used to talk.

# "This is like deja vu all over again."

# "You can observe a lot just by watching."

# "He must have made that before he died." -- Referring to a Steve McQueen movie.

# "I want to thank you for making this day necessary." -- On Yogi Berra Appreciation Day in St. Louis in 1947.

# "I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it." -- When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars.

# "Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

# "You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

# "I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early."

# "If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."

# "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is great!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You know this guy?
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I need it explained further. Why do they use much shallower angles in revolvers when shooting cast bullets? To help line them up with the bore better, due to their softness and tendency to enter the bore at an angle?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So now we can start another debate: Did Lee24 lie to us when he said he'd never post on the Campfire again? It might be claimed that he didn't, because he came back with a different name.

Nah. So why did we we actually, briefly believe he wasn't lying, when that's what he's been doing for years?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is insufficient field tested proven independent data to draw any conclusions having a high degree of correct probability on these two bullets at this time.
That said they SHOULD work as they are just ripoff copies of TTSXs with a bit of tin added.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldman1942
That said they SHOULD work as they are just ripoff copies of TTSXs with a bit of tin added.

Actually gilding metal is copper and zinc, not tin. But of course you knew that...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't they have different ogives?

Isn't the E-Tip more like a Partition on the front-end shapewise?

TTSX more pointed?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldman1942
There is insufficient field tested proven independent data to draw any conclusions having a high degree of correct probability on these two bullets at this time. Convoluted sentence structure is my forte'.
That said they SHOULD work as they are just ripoff copies of TTSXs They are a new monolithic bullet product based on gilding metal alloy.

Fixed that one for you.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Let me know if you need it explained further.

Geee....that has a familiar ring to it...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're like Zombie Prairie Dogs, no matter how many times you hit them with bullets of wisdom or truth they just keep poppin'their heads out for more!! Isn't there a one word name for this kind of sado masochistic, narcissistic, trolling?

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 37 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,236
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.